Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366594 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #705 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »

People always demand more of anything when it is:

a.) something they don't have to pay for,
b.) something they don't have to work at.

I bet if this was open source, you would have people to help you make it, so updates would be faster :o

You lose that bet, badly. Too many cooks throwing random, conflicting ingredients into a pot means the meal tastes like shit. Period.

This is a problem only the DF Hack people can fix.

Chill and be thankful someone else is taking their time to help you mod/cheat.
Do not rush that which cannot be rushed.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2010, 05:16:42 pm »

Ahhh, the sweet smell of a flame war, and, hey, it looks like I'm the enemy! Smells like burnt bacon.....

Gonna go see if i can go get somebody at /b/ to contribute to DFHack (just need to tell them if they make it work i will give 'em a link showing a kid getting beat up with a baseball bat!)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

I bet if this was open source, you would have people to help you make it, so updates would be faster :o

You lose that bet, badly. Too many cooks throwing random, conflicting ingredients into a pot means the meal tastes like shit. Period.

DFHack is open source.  And most of the applications that you can use with DF are based on DFHack (with DT being a notable exception).  So most of the programs you probably/possibly used are based off of open source software. 

And then there are things like Firefox...

Open source works great for some things, especially volunteer projects.  You just need someone that takes primary control of the project and filters through what is included precisely so you can avoid the 'too many cooks' issue.

The actual point though is that this is sizeak's project.  If he wants it to be open source, it will be; otherwise, it won't.  Sort of like Toady and DF itself...
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 28, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »

DFHack is open source.  And most of the applications that you can use with DF are based on DFHack (with DT being a notable exception).  So most of the programs you probably/possibly used are based off of open source software. 

Open source works great for some things, especially volunteer projects.  You just need someone that takes primary control of the project and filters through what is included precisely so you can avoid the 'too many cooks' issue.

The actual point though is that this is sizeak's project.  If he wants it to be open source, it will be; otherwise, it won't.  Sort of like Toady and DF itself...

Amazing, a comment that doesn't flame me. Very good job with neutrality!

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:05 pm »

Yeah, apologies all round. We all need to chill a bit :/
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

I know, I'm just sick of everyone yelling "Open source it, open source it!" when a project takes longer than a couple days to make the next release. Blah.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

Guys(?), one thing:
I pretty much know what to look for to get things like Maps and Materials working. Creatures are a different story and unlike most of dfhack, this part was largely extended and maintained by other people, who are now apparently busy with other things. So, I'll have to first find out what I'm looking for, document it and then I can actually search for it, replicating work already done by others. On top of that, the next semester started at my uni and I have /real/ stuff to do. Lots of math and stuff ~_~

So, give it some time... the .13 and .14 versions without goblin sieges are IMHO broken anyway.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »

No problems peterix, most of us know that everyone is busy and that the stuff they do for this game is done in their free time, and we are very grateful that you and others like you spend their free time helping us all. I may be of little to no help on the offsets and DFHack part of things, but I'm finishing up my Physics Ph.D. so if you need any help with math or physics let me know :)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 29, 2010, 07:06:24 am »

Good points. I know open source works for SOME things. A.) It wouldn't here. B.) It is not the magic solution for wanting things right this second. That would be patience.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2010, 07:55:31 am »

Open source would work fine for Runesmith, I just don't want people seeing my bad code :D
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2010, 03:53:38 pm »

Open source would work fine for Runesmith, I just don't want people seeing my bad code :D

bad code?! you made it so we could wipe an entire goblin siege of the map by pausing, selecting a goblin, and hitting genocide!!! THAT IS GOOD CODE!

(sorry for the yellin'!)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »

bad code?! you made it so we could wipe an entire goblin siege of the map by pausing, selecting a goblin, and hitting genocide!!! THAT IS GOOD CODE!

(sorry for the yellin'!)

From a functionality point of view you would be correct, however I'm not so sure about from a design point of view... anyway, I've said before that the possibility of making it open source exists, it just depends on how much time I have and motivation etc. As it stands I haven;t actually played any DF for a few months, due to lack of time, minor Minecraft addiction and also having a shed load of other games to complete + coding projects

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »

Open source would somehow give you the DF Hack updates you require to release a new update of Runesmith? :P

Open source Runesmith might work as a production plan.
Open source Runesmith will not give you the files you and DFHACK need to release a new updates sooner.

Please don't quote me.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:05 pm »

Well no obviously

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:02 am »

so any one found any new ways to screwing around with runesmith in adventure mode?
so far between: removing the stat, attribute, and traits hurdles for instant recruitment and body swapping from caging your self and removing the cage flag and the usual loyalty crusade by slapping a civ member a zombie flag and removing it once they start hitting him.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 106