Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366606 times)

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #870 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:25 pm »

So... has anyone thought to check in on peterix? Maybe he's bogged down with finals like the rest of us...

drailgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 02, 2010, 10:32:56 pm »

It's not sizeak's responsibility to program Runesmith. He doesn't even have to work on it at all. Be happy that Runesmith actually exists and there's a person willing to update it on his spare time. If you guys would actually read his post.....

To all those moaning, here (https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/commits/master) is the link to the DFHack commits page. It's a list of all changes made to the DFHack source and associated files (including memory-ng.xml) as they're pushed (uploaded) to the repository; this is the earliest they are available to developers i.e. me. 

As you can see, no changes have been made since the 18th, thus no new offsets have been added so pipe down

problem is that Im not smart enough to do any of that,

Not that far up the page....

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 02, 2010, 10:57:45 pm »

Honestly, I'm fine with not having it right now. The only thing I really need updated is DT when a new version comes out, and maybe Stonesense.
To me, Runesmith is just something to let you speed up making specific fortresses (like a fortress of Legendary engravers), or just to mess around with.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:56 am »

I require this mod if I want to play the latest version, the same with DT...

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:57 am »

I actually don't use Runesmith unless I run into a serious problem/bug. Luckily, my current fort is going just fine :)

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:31 am »

The dfhack wait affects more than Runesmith. There are other mods and packs that rely on it for memory offsets and things. For instance, I doubt there will be a new release of Lazy Newb Pack until the dfhack update is complete. (I was brand new to DF a week ago.) But we'll just have to be patient.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 03, 2010, 11:43:50 am »

So basically 4 possible solutions exist:

1. Peterix devotes himself to dfhack and always releases immediately after a DF update
2. Other people who grok dfhack join the project and help maintain and build it.
3. Someone forks dfhack and continues development.
4. People start using something other than dfhack.

The above is pretty much the same crap every open source project goes through when it gets popular.

So peterix wrote something awesome, but he's doing it for free, and probably has a "REAL LIFE" somewhere doing something that puts a roof over his head. Like all of us, he's human, and sometimes this so-called "REAL LIFE" takes precedence over the open source project he maintains that other people just so happen to depend on.

So basically everyone can either a) be patient or b) learn how to do what peterix does and submit your own revisions to dfhack.

UPDATE: Talked to peterix on IRC, and it's like I thought, he is buried in piles of RL work and hasn't had time for df.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:20:44 pm by Gara-nis »

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 03, 2010, 03:26:46 pm »

So basically 4 possible solutions exist:

1. Peterix devotes himself to dfhack and always releases immediately after a DF update
2. Other people who grok dfhack join the project and help maintain and build it.
3. Someone forks dfhack and continues development.
4. People start using something other than dfhack.

The above is pretty much the same crap every open source project goes through when it gets popular.

So peterix wrote something awesome, but he's doing it for free, and probably has a "REAL LIFE" somewhere doing something that puts a roof over his head. Like all of us, he's human, and sometimes this so-called "REAL LIFE" takes precedence over the open source project he maintains that other people just so happen to depend on.

So basically everyone can either a) be patient or b) learn how to do what peterix does and submit your own revisions to dfhack.

UPDATE: Talked to peterix on IRC, and it's like I thought, he is buried in piles of RL work and hasn't had time for df.

This is the truth, I'm glad somebody understands that devs are people to. However, options 3 & 4 of your post don't really apply to DFHack since the code itself works fine, it's the offsets (memory locations of where vectors etc are located within the DF stack frame) that need finding so forking wouldn't really achieve much.

Finding these involves manually searching through DF's memory with tools fro memory searching/process debugging etc to find the relevant data structures, it's not exactly a fun/easy/quick job at the best of times. It's like being kicked in the balls a million times a minute by someone with nails sticking out of their shoes.

The two main reason I don't help find offsets is because I'd rather go play on my NES tbh
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 03, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »

I'd rather go play on my NES tbh

heh heh heh heh... I would too, only if i had one ;D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »

Oh, and guys, FYI: Runesmith, Dwarf Therapist, Quickfort, DFfusion, etc ARE ALL UTILITIES, NOT MODS.

Sorry, but it's just been really getting on my nerves how people are messing them up. I mean, a mod is a modification to a game. Runesmith doesn't modify the program, it modifies/hacks the current fortress/game. Those may sound similar, but they aren't. Runesmith is a tool/utility; it is a whole separate program, not simply a modification to Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #880 on: December 03, 2010, 06:53:03 pm »

Just chipping in a big thanks.

I just used the 'smith to stop my legendary+3 miner from hovering in the air for aeternity.

I was ready to give up on him.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks
« Reply #881 on: December 03, 2010, 07:24:21 pm »

Just chipping in a big thanks.

I just used the 'smith to stop my legendary+3 miner from hovering in the air for aeternity.

I was ready to give up on him.

:D
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 03, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

I can't wait until the new version comes out, it's going to be awesome to mess around with adventurer mode!

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 04, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »

If peterix or anyone else could just say how they look for offsets with and what programs they use, I'm sure many of us would be glad to do the dirty work for you, but since we, or at least I, don't even know in what direction to look at, there is really nothing to be done here.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 04, 2010, 07:19:23 pm »

If peterix or anyone else could just say how they look for offsets with and what programs they use, I'm sure many of us would be glad to do the dirty work for you, but since we, or at least I, don't even know in what direction to look at, there is really nothing to be done here.

It requires knowledge of x86 assembly and how DF stores the stuff. It is really pretty damn complicated. I've tried it.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106