Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2344 2345 [2346] 2347 2348 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3562861 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a pretty reasonable one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Though, an other option that's reasonable (Other than Mindmaker's one, which made me laugh out loud,) is that the universe is in a constant state of expansion and contraction. An infinite number of Big Bangs, in which time one was likely to have conditions for life.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Though, an other option that's reasonable (Other than Mindmaker's one, which made me laugh out loud,) is that the universe is in a constant state of expansion and contraction. An infinite number of Big Bangs, in which time one was likely to have conditions for life.
The only problem with that is that the universe's expansion is accelerating.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only problem with that is that the universe's expansion is accelerating.
I don't see the problem??
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

That's a pretty reasonable one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah yes, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. For all we know, it can be tha creator of our universe too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:39:36 pm by Knit tie »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

If it continues accelerating then it won't collapse back in on itself.  Just keep spreading forever.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, but if it speeds up, it can also slow down. That it's faster at the moment doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

I have no idea what the shit you people are going on about when it's obvious that blind god Azathoth created the entirety of existence by sheer accident.

Yes, but if it speeds up, it can also slow down. That it's faster at the moment doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
There is no reason that the universe would arbitrarily slow down. None.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed.

This discussion is inherently pointless as none of us can provide any supporting evidence for any of our theories.

We might as well just say that this universe was built by dwarves operating under Toady's orders.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That it might slow down would be speculative until we have a possible mechanism for it.

Given we barely understand why it's accelerating in the first place, it's a bit tough to say why that would stop.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to pop in with the evolution topic, there isn't any possibility of an alternative theory or belief that could displace evolution at this point. Which is a weird thing to say from a scientific perspective, but part of it is due to how broad the term is... I wouldn't make that definite of a statement otherwise, even with the entire science of biology serving as the body of evidence. All evolution really means is that populations of organisms change and diverge over time, and that's something that can't be denied by any stretch of logic. Even before Darwin and his colleagues published their works, it was pretty clear that populations and species change, but now, especially with our discovery of DNA, it's basically impossible for it to ever be refuted. The mechanisms of evolution will certainly continue to see extensive changes and refinements, but people too often conflate that with evolution itself. That's what makes me concerned about creationism or any other denial of its existence, is just how ridiculous a claim it is. I don't care if people have to say that God dictates all changes in gene frequency to justify their beliefs, but they have to accept that it changes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to pop in with the evolution topic, there isn't any possibility of an alternative theory or belief that could displace evolution at this point. Which is a weird thing to say from a scientific perspective, but part of it is due to how broad the term is... I wouldn't make that definite of a statement otherwise, even with the entire science of biology serving as the body of evidence. All evolution really means is that populations of organisms change and diverge over time, and that's something that can't be denied by any stretch of logic. Even before Darwin and his colleagues published their works, it was pretty clear that populations and species change, but now, especially with our discovery of DNA, it's basically impossible for it to ever be refuted. The mechanisms of evolution will certainly continue to see extensive changes and refinements, but people too often conflate that with evolution itself. That's what makes me concerned about creationism or any other denial of its existence, is just how ridiculous a claim it is. I don't care if people have to say that God dictates all changes in gene frequency to justify their beliefs, but they have to accept that it changes.

What he said.

And no one can pretend to know what the universe will do. The universe may reach its outer limit, and implode. It may run out of cosmic juice. We simply don't know.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, none of us so far said that evolution isn't a well supported, perfectly rational scientific theory.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

We may not know for sure but we can make educated guesses. Until we uncover a reason something might harken, we can't say it will or is possible.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where did energy come from to move a universe? Presumably the big bang. And what happens when that energy runs out?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2344 2345 [2346] 2347 2348 ... 3345