Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1570201 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #810 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:51 pm »

Well, maybe your doctors progressed beyond rust and actually started to lose their skills. I guess you could set up a device where any dwarf attempting to enter your dining room had a small chance to fall through a hatch and break a leg on the ground a couple stories below, giving your doctors plenty of jobs to keep busy.
You could say that he'd be taking a fall for the team...
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 13, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »

Someone set up a "training camp" for armor use by setting up spike traps with wood training spears (not menacing spikes) inside of a barracks, and repeatedly throwing the lever to give his dwarves the ability to repeatedly defend against a fairly weak attack.  It still resulted in plenty of yellow wounds to patch up.  You could just tain your soldiers and your medics at the same time.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »

You could just train your soldiers and your medics at the same time.

And your engineers if you replace the spears periodically.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 13, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

Well, maybe your doctors progressed beyond rust and actually started to lose their skills. I guess you could set up a device where any dwarf attempting to enter your dining room had a small chance to fall through a hatch and break a leg on the ground a couple stories below, giving your doctors plenty of jobs to keep busy.

In this case it was a bone carver not a doctor, but it seems there is alot of randomness as to whether the rust comes off. Four or five injuries per year leads to skill loss even for a single doctor, and fatalities don't help obviously, you need survivable wounds.

Someone set up a "training camp" for armor use by setting up spike traps with wood training spears (not menacing spikes) inside of a barracks, and repeatedly throwing the lever to give his dwarves the ability to repeatedly defend against a fairly weak attack.  It still resulted in plenty of yellow wounds to patch up.  You could just tain your soldiers and your medics at the same time.

You have to admit that is utterly ridiculous. "Here, let me break your arm so I can practice my bone setting.."

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:47 pm »

You have to admit that is utterly ridiculous. "Here, let me break your arm so I can practice my bone setting.."

Play more Dwarf Fortress, you aren't insane enough.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 13, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »

We need to patch up our Slave-gladitors and arena animals then the doc-skill wouldnt rust. Wel if you settle next to a human village humans could come over once in a while to buy from your shops or to see the doc. Heh maybe we could also have more animal related injurys i heard of cows kicking pretty hard because the milker was rather inexperienced ... 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:38 pm »

Not all too crazy. It is a particularly brutal way to train soldiers, but most injuries should be bruises, and what breaks do occur can be made safe with good doctors and plenty of soap. You should be able to run a fortress this way for a good long while without fatalities, and it trains an important combat skill. I'd say it's a boon to the fortress, even putting aside the medical training.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 13, 2010, 11:59:10 pm »

That spikes in the barracks thing just seems too immersion breaking for it's utility to me.  Sure it trains armor use, but so does sparring.  And sure it keeps yer docs trained.  But really the only effect I've seen an inexperienced doctor have is a lot of pain and some bloodloss.  The pain certainly dosn't hurt anything (ha!) and usually the doctors work slow enough for bloodloss to be a non issue.

However I'm not sure I have ever had really good doctors.  I've never seen traction benches or tables even used yet.  It's all just clean suture bandage splint.

[probably more suggestion materiel]
Would be nice if very good diagnosers would do a quick ninja diagnosis now and then to check for infection.  Maybe just create another cleaning job or do some emergency surgery or something if a skilled diagnoser spots signs of infection when performing some other task on the patient.  That way a dwarf that suddenly starts oozing pus is not immediately written off by the player as dead.  Would be nice if the doc could maybe amputate an arm or something to save the patient.
[/probably more suggestion materiel]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 14, 2010, 09:36:06 am »

Hey, here in real life, we have literal Human Crash Test Dummies - they test how much damage a human body can take in different ways so that they can calibrate the Crash Test Dummies to be appropriate stand-ins for humans.

Did you know that the human skull can withstand up to 300 lbs of force in short intervals before it cracks?  Apparently, that's what Human Crash Test Dummies are there to find out.

FOR SCIENCE!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 14, 2010, 12:11:00 pm »

Havent been here for awhile so this probably was covered already but whats up with the non decaying blood on the ground? After just 2-3 years I got all sorts of pus, blood and other fluid pretty much swimming around the place. While its not game effecting I dont think, its rather disconcerting to have everything covered in red "paint" and my dwarfs wasting time cleaning themselves.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #820 on: August 14, 2010, 12:17:09 pm »

Some skills should simply rust at different rates than rest of them: Skills meant to be used infrequently.

Doctor skills are prime candidate as they tend to de-level because player is doing too good job at preventing dwarves to get harmed.

There are several other skills that are very expensive to train and rarely, if ever, used.

---

This can more of future thing when you could buy books from caravan and let your dwarves study them for either rust prevention or even straight skillups.

Another similar idea is to let literate dwarves keep journal which would help against rust (imagine it as your medical dwarf taking notes after handling patient and them refering to them later.)

Oh, there could also be accidents - craftsdwarf cutting himself or mason accidentally hammering his finger ... Something so small that it has rarely chance to kill or cripple dwarf permamently, but which would give doctor something to do.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 14, 2010, 12:19:01 pm »

Havent been here for awhile so this probably was covered already but whats up with the non decaying blood on the ground? After just 2-3 years I got all sorts of pus, blood and other fluid pretty much swimming around the place. While its not game effecting I dont think, its rather disconcerting to have everything covered in red "paint" and my dwarfs wasting time cleaning themselves.

There's a bug that causes contaminants/spatters to multiply themselves (described in greater detail here).  It's broken, basically.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 14, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »

Spoiler: graphic detail (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:31 pm »

WoW has whiny emo Blood Elves.

Dwarf Fortress has badass "Doesn't care about anything anymore." Souless killing machine Blood Dwarves.

The Blood Dwarves use real blood.  Blood Elves just wear red.  I think I picked my side.  It is the bearded side.

P.S. I wish my forts looked that awesome.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 14, 2010, 02:24:56 pm »

Will unicorns be able to weaponize their purification ability before the magic arc? Through the syndrome system as a "solid object contact poison"?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 342