Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572342 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »

It wasn't that hunting was impossible period. It was getting it to happen reliably.

Oddly enough I can't even see the bug tracker... and I don't want to make an entirely new account just to see it either.

The bug tracker is actually a fantastically cool place where awesome people hang out, so you may want to reconsider!

Well I signed up and was hit with a giant wave of disapointment... None of that stuff is there.
Oh it's all there, you just gotta look for the more controversial bugs. Of course, your definition of "cool place of hanging out" may differ from Footkerchief's.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2010, 07:31:12 pm »

Hang out implies other people...

At least to me.

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2010, 07:42:25 pm »

At least to me.
xkcd disagrees. http://xkcd.com/324/

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2010, 09:29:58 pm »

31.09 got a commentless ninja-update. Downloading now.

I seem to recall a bunch of metals got their yield properties rebalanced. Time to rewrite all the extra metals in my mod...

I'd ask what's coming up next, but I'm sure we'll find out in a bit next time Toady updates the devlog or posts here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:11:11 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:51 pm »

Who knows, it is really up to what Toady wants to add.

So far from what I can understand about Toady's actions is that on one hand he can be technical and want to put in those important technical fixes, he tends to bore of this after a while and ends up going on tangents.

Though sometimes when he goes on Tangents he can find that he becomes burried by them and bows out.

So likely we will see a few bug fixes for a bit and then Toady will get bored and he will do something else. Likely something that isn't an Adventurer update.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:43:43 pm by Neonivek »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2010, 05:09:27 am »

At least to me.
I see about 20 people there, how are you counting people?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

If moving fort parts become as powerful as some people want them i suggest a new challenge: A Fortress that is essentially is a "Zuse Helix-tower" (watch the video).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Festin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

THIS:
# Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
WILL it be theoretically possible to make a for that actually inches it's entire bulk acro0s the map?

I fail to understand how people can possibly discuss anything but this. After reading the dev page and this post, I spent the next hour in a trance, imaging crazy and awesome things. 

Also, I completely support the following suggestion:
That wouldn't be a problem... if you could change the map.
I think it might be pretty easy to add a system where you can add and subtract entire world tiles from your map during fortress mode. You know, change a 3x3 map into a 3x4 - then back to a 3x3, moving forward like an inchworm.

Why should this option only be limited to the initial embark? (To answer my own question, there might be issues with sealing off any subtracted world tiles so that your dwarves don't go there anymore)

There have been a number of times where I wish I had added just one more row of tiles during embark, so that I could, for example, dig further into the mountains in search of adamantine.

If these two are ever actually implemented, then my life will be complete, and I will have no regrets about anything. Is resizing the playing field as described above even theoretically possible?

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2010, 11:40:06 am »

THIS:
# Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
WILL it be theoretically possible to make a for that actually inches it's entire bulk acro0s the map?

You'd obviously have to capture a fire demon to power it, first.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »

Well make it wind-powered and use Springs and Weights to store the power. Said mechanism would be by the way a decent thing.

According to wikipedia:

Spring-driven clocks appeared during the 1400s,   although they are often erroneously credited to Nürnberg watchmaker Peter   Henlein (or Henle, or Hele) around 1511.   The earliest existing spring driven clock is the chamber clock given to   Peter the Good, Duke of Burgundy, around 1430, now in the "Germanisches Nationalmuseum".

So its pretty close to dfs timeframe. It also would make "Multishot" traps feaseable.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:24 pm »

Also, I completely support the following suggestion:
That wouldn't be a problem... if you could change the map.
I think it might be pretty easy to add a system where you can add and subtract entire world tiles from your map during fortress mode. You know, change a 3x3 map into a 3x4 - then back to a 3x3, moving forward like an inchworm.

Why should this option only be limited to the initial embark? (To answer my own question, there might be issues with sealing off any subtracted world tiles so that your dwarves don't go there anymore)

There have been a number of times where I wish I had added just one more row of tiles during embark, so that I could, for example, dig further into the mountains in search of adamantine.

If these two are ever actually implemented, then my life will be complete, and I will have no regrets about anything. Is resizing the playing field as described above even theoretically possible?
I'd like to add to this: Whould the above mentioned feature eventually be replaced with some sort of Fog of War?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

On resizing the map; this originally came up in the underground diversity thread, and looked more at adding/subtracting z-levels then horizontal tiles, although there probably is a strong correlation.

more underground diversity
-- up on dev_next in part, though there are some issues with some of the desired ones, especially with digging down, since it can't load all that many layers, and solutions for slowing downward digging all seem sort of gamey or sketchy
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2010, 04:47:20 am »

When will the rest of the workshops/reactions be moved out into raw files? i feel kind of constrained as a modder trying to operate with only limited access to how Toady set up the workshops.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

Kind of related to RCIX's: When will custom workshops be able to display the color of the building materials the way regular workshops do?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »

With entity populations, I'm assuming that the first step would be taken for overworld nomadic civilizations, but is it likely that they'll be included?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 342