Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572112 times)

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3510 on: February 10, 2011, 03:45:09 am »

There's little point in speculation about the ETA, but take the fact that he's already considering what the release number will be as a good sign if you're anxious for a new release.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:54 am »

Thought the release-number is something he actually dont has to think about since he just greens out one or two points on his big list of features and fluff and the number goes up by itself. Speaking of said list i guess markets get from Purple to green with the next release. Dont get me wrong i actualy think thats a good philosophy to have a good list of intended features and which you can scratch as soon as they are done.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: February 10, 2011, 08:14:03 am »

Thought the release-number is something he actually dont has to think about since he just greens out one or two points on his big list of features and fluff and the number goes up by itself.
That used to be the case when the version number was married to the Core/Req/Bloat system. Now, while Toady still pays attention to the content of the relevant dev items, he doesn't quite track which cores get completed. With the mention that the number should technically go to about 33, I guess that he considers Core 38 (site resources) and maybe Core 78 (wilderness population tracking) to be (mostly) handled by the recent work. Cores 3 (caravans) and 77 (age and population tracking for entities) seem to be covered by the upcoming small releases (release 4 and 5, respectively).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:44 am »

As far as i know the tracking of wilderness "populations" cant be considered as actually "done" yet since, from my pov, it would need to include territorys of predator packs etc. but thats nitpicking.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: February 10, 2011, 10:32:28 am »

Can we actually see during adventure mode goblins sieging a human fortress?
Desu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:40 am »

This would be cool.

But I think this should be in the adventure mode discussion forum.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3516 on: February 10, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

Best. Devlog. Ever.

Just try not to overload that cat on 'nip. It can do weird things to kitty brains.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »

That is  something that should be part of the army arc which has yet to come. AtM sieges are only in Worlgen.

Proud to be a Furry.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: February 10, 2011, 03:02:33 pm »

That is  something that should be part of the army arc which has yet to come. AtM sieges are only in Worlgen.

Not entirely. I've read about adventurers coming across towns under siege by hordes of animals or elves. It's just a ridiculously rare and abnormal occurrence with unpredictable triggers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: February 10, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »

IIRC Tarn talked a bit about groups moving on the map again,
possibly he'll do sieges/armies together with caravans, gangs and other travellers

If Foot were here, he'd be able to tell you which DFtalk or even literally quote Toady.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: February 11, 2011, 09:07:03 am »

Not entirely. I've read about adventurers coming across towns under siege by hordes of animals or elves. It's just a ridiculously rare and abnormal occurrence with unpredictable triggers.
I've done it with humans against humans. Was a real mess.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:48 am »

IIRC Tarn talked a bit about groups moving on the map again,
possibly he'll do sieges/armies together with caravans, gangs and other travellers

If Foot were here, he'd be able to tell you which DFtalk or even literally quote Toady.

Not sure which specific quote you had in mind, but here's some recent stuff from DF Talk.

Quote from: DF Talk
Rainseeker:   [1d]Is there ever going to be a time when goblins actually come and say 'we demand tribute, and then we'll go away?'
Toady:   Yeah I mean there should be, they already do that in ... I mean they don't, I guess ... actually I don't remember if they do ... is it just the humans that do tribute relationships? Because there's these fake tribute relationships in world generation that aren't realised in any way. You could start in a fortress where every other fortress in your civilization is paying tribute to humans and you just don't hear or have anything to do with it. That kind of thing is ... I think all that stuff is up on dev next which means we're kind of starting to think about how it's going to work. It's all coming; we have this thing up on the future - post version one - goals about actual complicated diplomacy, whatever that means, where we'd actually be thinking a lot more about arrangements and individual goals and so on; but we're going to be doing a lot of that also in the pretty short term here. With things like tribute it's going to require ... I don't want to point everything back at the caravan arc because that became kind of a habit ... Really what that is shorthand for 'sites have resources and things are tracked', so that's going to have to happen kind of soon too, especially when you start sending armies out which is one of the things right after sieges are improved quite a bit, there's already going to be armies moving on the world map at that time, and your dwarves are also going to be able to send out armies after sieges are improved, and at that point we've got to start thinking about things like supply lines and so on. There's a sense in which that could be aggravating, but I think it really improves the flow of wars and so on to have to worry about that kind of thing so you just don't have strange things happening like some army marching from town to town without taking anything, just killing everything, without being supported. What I'm getting at, though, is [that] when you've got supply lines where an army's being supplied it's similar to paying tribute, to moving goods around in that way, which also goes back to the caravan arc. It's kind of a race to see which one's going to go in first, but people are going to be moving stuff around; at that point things like guys coming to you and demanding things of you instead of just trying to kill everybody would be easily attained, which would be cool.

[...]

Toady:   [...] So for improved sieges you need to have armies moving around the map, that was one of our requirements; it's not a strict requirement, you could just improve the sieges, but in order for them to make sense they need to be coming from someplace, and we're going to want them to come from real historical figures, more so than they already do if they're commanders. For that to work out the civilization needs to know where to pull them from, and also just to increase the overall interest in our world we're going to do that motivation stuff right there, at least enough pieces of it to make some sense out of things; to have the armies moving on the world map, having them come from places and so on. So when they decide to attack you we're going to step that up from just being a random event that occurs: right now it's just like 'It's Spring, and ... flip the coin? Did you get it? Oh, well, too bad; goblin attack'. There's nothing going on there, nothing at all. So the more we put in there ... you put it into dwarf mode, you put it into world generation, and eventually adventure mode starts to see some of this as well; and it'll just get better and better. Hopefully now that I've done so much of it there'll be less fussing around with 'what tissues make up the toe?' [and more] sweeping world generation changes.

[...]

Rainseeker:   Here's a question from DG: 'Will the arrival of a merchant once per year no longer be guaranteed if or when the time it takes for them to arrive is determined by the distance and terrain between your fort and their starting point?'
Toady:   We're thinking about letting that one float once we got the model up to the point where it worked well enough, then we're just going to let it ride. Now right now the world is not so big that you can't walk across it in ... what does it take in adventure mode, I think you can step twelve tiles in day? I really don't remember. So if you're in adventure and you can go twelve tiles in a day then even in a large world you can go twenty or twenty two days to cross the entire world. So if you take the caravans time and up it up - up it up, up it up, that's great - if you shoot it up by like five times then it would still take a hundred days to cross the entire world, and if that's the case then there shouldn't be problems with not getting a dwarven caravan every year, even if they stop at various cities, even if they stop a city for like five days and move on. Five days is nothing in dwarf mode time, and then they'll mode to the next place and be shooting all over the world. That should work out well, especially if you can support several caravans at once and you have something that ends up looking more like a bazaar or something out in front of your fortress, people stop, there could even be local merchants from nearby villages or something like that that hang there quite a bit and your own guys and so on. It could be pretty cool out there.

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: February 11, 2011, 12:13:58 pm »

I've heard that if you say Footkerchief in your post, he is immediately summoned with all the knowledge you could need.
And if you say it 3 times in one post, he appears in real life to take you to the magma baths for asking too many questions.

Edit: Tol is Right! I did forget to ask my question... hmmm... if an elf dies in the woods, so no one hears it, is it still Dorfy? Or does it have to be witnessed?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:39:03 pm by Camden1990 »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: February 11, 2011, 12:18:07 pm »

I've heard that if you say Footkerchief in your post, he is immediately summoned with all the knowledge you could need.
And if you say it 3 times in one post, he appears in real life to take you to the magma baths for asking too many questions.
and what is your question?
;)

Will caravan arc things be re-used in the army arc? (i.e. traveling entities, the stuff they carry, etc.)?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:20:58 pm by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:47 pm »

Will caravan arc things be re-used in the army arc? (i.e. traveling entities, the stuff they carry, etc.)?
Unless I'm terribly misunderstanding, that's part of the point, isn't it? Support for traveling groups, the equipment they have access to, the reason why they go where they are going...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 342