Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 67021 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (7/19)
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2010, 04:54:17 pm »

I just tried this program out and I like it. Is there any way to make the font and stuff bigger? When I resized the window it all stayed tiny. Also what does the overlay on the map do? Is it showing me where cities originate from? All in all, this program makes it a lot easier to view the data from legends mode. Thanks for making it.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Wow, this is fantastic! I can't believe I'd never seen this before...

As an avid reader of my worlds' histories, this is greatly appreciated.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »

Never before has a text-parser been so... necessary!

This is awesome.  Well done!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:33 am »

I haven't really looked, but given that rivers and such form one-pixel lines on the export maps, I think they might be 1-pixel-per-embark-tile, or 16x16 pixels per world tile.

Seeing as towns are 3x3 pixel dots and take up 3x3 embark tiles, this is most likely the case.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »

Cool! This looks like a great program. I need to try it, straight away.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:25 pm »

Does this program support the latest version of DF? I'd imagine there isn't a lot of change between the versions with the Legends Mode, but better to ask than download a file I can't use.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »

It draws the Data from exportet files like the Xml dump and the map graphics thus it should be compatible with everything from 31.01 upwards with full functionality and with reduced functionality for stuff older then 31.01. Changes in the Xml structure or other files are not very common so its almost guarantied to work for the next couple of versions. If more detail goes into the Xml and he other dump files later on it should still work but you might miss some info.

This is only a educated guess thought.
Mason11987 are you working on a new version any new features?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

What is awesome is i was going to make a new world for my tabletop top game in medieval setting and your tool just gave me way less trouble to set up, now mixed with DF i can generate a new world, have town, history cave, cavern, megabeast and so on already generated for me, all i need to do is add up some details and *convert* all creature using my RPG character sheet and add up some town detail like mage guild and so one but masicly more than 80% of the job is done with DF mixed with this utility GREAT!!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:14 am »

Hey guys, I'm working on this now, I have a version that already parses a lot of the XML for some cool connections, but I'm on vacation this week, that's why I haven't posted anything recently.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:18 am »

Hey guys, I'm working on this now, I have a version that already parses a lot of the XML for some cool connections, but I'm on vacation this week, that's why I haven't posted anything recently.

No rush  :)
Looking forward to the next release, thanks.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

I just tried this program out and I like it. Is there any way to make the font and stuff bigger? When I resized the window it all stayed tiny. Also what does the overlay on the map do? Is it showing me where cities originate from? All in all, this program makes it a lot easier to view the data from legends mode. Thanks for making it.

Font size changing may or may not happen.  I'm trying to fit a lot of info on the screen and it's difficult with larger text.

The overlay links all the sites of a single civ together, the "hub" is the largest site.  In the future I MAY be able to show it as a progression from the original site, but that information may not completely exist in the xml.

Wow, this is fantastic! I can't believe I'd never seen this before...

As an avid reader of my worlds' histories, this is greatly appreciated.
Never before has a text-parser been so... necessary!

This is awesome.  Well done!
Cool! This looks like a great program. I need to try it, straight away.

Thanks all.  Let me know if you have any questions or any problems.  Or anything you think might improve it!

Does this program support the latest version of DF? I'd imagine there isn't a lot of change between the versions with the Legends Mode, but better to ask than download a file I can't use.

I expect it to work up until (and perhaps past) the entity populations update the Toady is working on, no .31 update since my initial release has broken it so I expect it to work fine for a while.  It's hard to tell exactly how resistent to change it will be.  Changes to the xml shouldn't cause it to break, changes to the world history and world sites?  Probably more likely to cause problems, because there aren't the tags around things like in the xml.  Of course if you find it doesn't at some point, please let me know.

Genning in .31.12 to test... ...  and it works fine! :)

What is awesome is i was going to make a new world for my tabletop top game in medieval setting and your tool just gave me way less trouble to set up, now mixed with DF i can generate a new world, have town, history cave, cavern, megabeast and so on already generated for me, all i need to do is add up some details and *convert* all creature using my RPG character sheet and add up some town detail like mage guild and so one but masicly more than 80% of the job is done with DF mixed with this utility GREAT!!

One thing mentioned earlier in this thread is to output files with information about groups/sites/civs in a readable form.  If that's something you'd find useful let me know.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:22:12 pm by Mason11987 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (7/30)
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »

Okay guys, pretty huge update here.  I've tested it on a few different xml files ranging from 211 KB (included file), to 42MB or so.  It definitely DOES NOT work on huge files anymore (400MB for example) but I haven't found exactly how big a file it can handle.  I don't think the limits I have are hard limits, but they will take more time on my part to work through.

V 2.0
  • Added Historical Figures (HF), Entities, and Regions Tabs.
  • HFs are linked to other figures that they worship, are worshipped by, or are married to
  • HFs are linked to sites they've lived in over their life.
  • Entities are linked to the sites they've founded (, and sites they were created at (for religions)
  • Sites list when they were founded, and by what entity
  • Added progress notes in the titlebar, for some of the larger XML files it could take some time.
  • The non-xml details should be pulled out nearly immediately for any world, during the xml parsing portions you can now look through the rest of the information until everything is done.
  • Probably a lot of other things

Pictures
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Coming up soon!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:31:34 pm by Mason11987 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2010, 02:43:47 pm »

THIS IS AWESOME!

I am going to include it in Genesis download and post a link to it in the mod thread. This is a must-have tool!

P.S. The link is just under my mod downloads. Now I will run off and try to make something cool and watch it with this great program :).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:02:49 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »

THIS IS AWESOME!

I am going to include it in Genesis download and post a link to it in the mod thread. This is a must-have tool!

P.S. The link is just under my mod downloads. Now I will run off and try to make something cool and watch it with this great program :).

I haven't had nearly as many tests with mods, but I did try it with Genesis early on, so if you see some problems let me know and I'll see what I can find.  Just as importantly if you don't find any problems let me know, so I can know what works often.

Thanks for adding it on your thread.  I only used your mod a little bit about a month ago but I wasn't prepared at the time to relearn some of the bigger changes (iron/steel stuff) but I love big game changing mods.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2010, 03:17:01 pm »

It also drastically evolved since the last month so it could start having problems. A few new races, tweaks to ores and stuff. I will definitely test it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18