Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 310983 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v9: Tin-Bearing Blendecs!
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

Hehe, my problem with so many invaders is not defeating them, but cleaning the stuff they leave, before the next siege hits... that was the main reason I started modding. My own little personal mod that removes clutter ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

Can I add this to an existing fortress?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Broseidon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2012, 11:17:11 am »

No you would have to create a whole new world.

Only reactions can be added without creating a new world if i remember correctly

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 20, 2012, 11:25:43 am »

Aww, I've got an awesome but boring fortress.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »

While you can't add the Fortress Defense creatures to an existing fortress, you can still change the goblin raws by, say, replacing them with the raws for war elephants or nightwings. That might provide the challenge you desire.

Hehe, my problem with so many invaders is not defeating them, but cleaning the stuff they leave, before the next siege hits... that was the main reason I started modding. My own little personal mod that removes clutter ;)

I also hate the clutter that invaders leave. That's why there's a minimod included in Fortress Defense that removes the excess clothes from the default civs.

You could add or remove just the entity-files you want. Just go to raw/objects and take out half of them, and you have half as many invasions.

@darkflagrance: I linked to your mod in the thread of mine, since they are fully compatible. Only 2 minor bugs showed up in the errorlog, and i fixed them. Just so you know :)

I hope those bugs weren't in the Fortress Defense component ;) I myself haven't discovered any errors in the current build of Fortress Defense.

I'd like to say that I deeply enjoy this mod, first of all, and that I couldn't fathom going back to just vanilla goblins.

However, I have one issue. My troops are good enough to fight off pretty large invasions, but it seems like all the armies attack at the same general time. It basically goes like this:

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Oh, uh, Beak Wolves? OK, set burrows, mobilize army, etc.

White Tigermen AND Beak Wolves? No probl-

HOLY ARMOK ARE THOSE WARWOLV-

"Your strength has been broken."

So, I don't know how you could fix that and it's probably been mentioned before. Maybe make them attack less frequently? Dealing with three squads of steel-armored elephants while dealing with four squads of copper-clad tigers and two squads of goblins while defending from another ambush? That's just unfair! Yet, strangely !!FUN!!

Don't forget that you can actually customize your experience while the game is in progress by changing or removing progress triggers. I prefer to release a version that by default is extremely challenging, because then the end-user can tweak it as he desires to make it easier, which is relatively easy to do by moving around files. Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress doesn't really respect the progress triggers very well, but those are simply the limitations of the engine.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #590 on: January 21, 2012, 08:04:45 pm »

No no, the bugs where just messages in the errorlog about missing clothes.  My mod removes most clothing, and your invaders tried to wear something that does not exist anymore. Therefore I just removed the extra clothing, done.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:43 pm »

I just got sieged at 13 Dorfs; I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until 20?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:37 pm »

If you produced a lot of wealth or traded a lot of materials, that can also trigger swift sieges. In addition, sometimes the dwarven civilization you select starts at war rather than merely hostile to an enemy civilization. You will know this because it shows a red "War" instead of a ------- when you check the enemies that have access to the site in the embark screen. Civilizations that start at war with your dwarven civilization can lay siege to you at any time.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 27, 2012, 05:44:46 am »

What weapons are most effective against the later opponents? Jotunars, war elephants, etc.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 28, 2012, 06:42:47 am »

What weapons are most effective against the later opponents? Jotunars, war elephants, etc.

Master warriors and fighters. Spears pierce through to their internal organs. Axes will sever limbs. Blunt weapons will penetrate the armor, but they might not be strong enough; I prefer blades and points. Crossbows are also good.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:27 am »

dark, I have troubles with your white tigermen. Just to be sure you dont intend them to be destroyers of hope that can win a 1:4 odd with only a single loss right?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 29, 2012, 03:19:31 am »

When I tested White Tigermen, I didn't find them overpowered, although when playing Fortress Defense in general, you have to be willing to make use of a great deal of strategy and possibilities if you can't get enough high quality arms/armor/soldiers in time. I have no shame admitting that I am willing to use waves of green troops armed with crossbows and bone bolts to augment my early defenses.

Note: you should have ~50 dwarves by the time they come at progress trigger 2. That takes a while for me to reach, long enough to have prepared significant defenses. I'm not sure if you're getting a much higher rate of population growth or income increase than I do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:48:43 am by darkflagrance »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:14 am »

When I tested White Tigermen, I didn't find them overpowered, although when playing Fortress Defense in general, you have to be willing to make use of a great deal of strategy and possibilities if you can't get enough high quality arms/armor/soldiers in time. I have no shame admitting that I am willing to use waves of green troops armed with crossbows and bone bolts to augment my early defenses.
Very well, I present you a challenge:
 + Use Intensifying Mod. See my sig for download links.
 + Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until year 3 or kill 10 tigermen using dwaves, whichever come later.
 + Enemies must have a path to your dwarves
 + No walk of doom. Maybe 2-3 tiles on your (non-raised) bridge but that's it.
 + Minimum traps. Each path has a handful at most. Weapon traps can only have one weapon. Trap kills, including cage's, do not count.
 + No weird exploits except extremely elaborate and stupid dwarven tricks. Use yonr common sense to judge.
 + You can only use up to 1274 embark points as in default embarks even though the world gen allow 10000. I typically use 1223 points cause it read 8777 remaining, btw.
Spoiler: World gen param (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:11:30 am by rephikul »
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22:50 am »

Never played with Intensifying Mod before, and so I'm not sure of what has been modified.

And are the results supposed to show something about tigermen? It seems to me that such a challenge is a more useful measure of a player's ability. If you feel that something is wrong with game balance with how Fortress Defense interacts with the Intensifying Mod, then it is at your discretion to modify either mod, so that you are satisfied with the way your game package is balanced.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:50:46 am by darkflagrance »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 29, 2012, 06:19:11 am »

And are the results supposed to show something about tigermen?
I want to make sure that they are broken. Your verdict is the most reliable since you made them in the first place and know the concept more then anyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 80