Poll

Ignore this poll.

No
- 73 (58.9%)
Sure
- 51 (41.1%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Murdercloisters: Where A Year May Well Be A Lifetime (Succession)  (Read 23906 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercloisters the Haunted Mirkwood Fortress (Succession)
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2010, 10:23:21 pm »

Man, a zombie giant cave spider? THAT is something that needs trapping.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:24 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3232

Alright, there ya go.  The Incomplete and Interrupted Trials of Toolgod, ready to be claimed by the next in line.  Good luck lads, you're probably gonna need it.

We absolutely need to get some more space opened up.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »

Excellent.  Pisano's been informed of his upcoming turn.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2010, 10:31:12 pm »

Sweet, downloading the save now.

edit: I should still be using 31_12 with flora and fauna, right?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:51:31 pm by Pisano »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:07 am »

I think it should work fine with 31.16.  As fine as it works for 31.12, anyway.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2010, 12:40:35 am »

I actually updated to 31.14 before turning it in.   Don't think I  shoved new raw files into the mix though.

With the new separation of base raws and save raws, it should work just fine with pretty much any of the 31.xx versions, to my knowledge.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:28 am »

I can't get 31.12 to recognize it, but 31.16 does, so if it is okay I'll use 31.16.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2010, 03:54:26 pm »

2nd Slate, 869

From assorted notes of Pisanoa.

I came following the footsteps of my twin brother Pisano who had embarked with an expedition to construct a place of riches and wonders, a grand new fortress.  That was four years ago at the start of the year of 865.  Six months after he left I received news of his untimely death.  I was distraught, who wouldn't be?  A skeletal creature had trampled half of the expedition before a single gold nugget had been smelted.  But I realized that those are the hazards of starting a new outpost and that Pisano would have wanted me to follow in his footsteps so here I am.

Kragus really took the internal strife of some of the other dwarves hard.  I think he must've been more drunk than usual when he gave the order for Geshud Becorlikot to mine through her own engraving.  Geshud has been causing trouble ever since which is a bit of a problem since she is the only truly competent miner in the whole place.

When Kragus announced that he was stepping down as overseer a quick call for nominations went out and, since I'm friends with nearly half the dwarves in the place, they suggested I take over.

Well since I'm good at befriending people it should be a piece of cake to get them to clean up this place and expand it.  Riiight.

3rd Slate, 869

The mayor is complaining about not having proper accommodations, a dining room, an office, and a statue of herself.  When I asked her if there was anything else we could make for her she suggested a copper rimmed mirror with graphite and purple spinal etchings of cat demons.  I told her not to push her luck.

I know masonry, but I don't know the ins and outs of making a fortress run.  And with 70 other dwarves in residence here I don't have time to go to each craft station to tell everyone what to work on.  So I've enlisted a manager. Kel Edemluzat is the only one who showed even the least bit of interested (read: the only one with any organizational skills) so she got the job.  For now she is sharing the office with our bookkeeper but I've ordered construction of an office for her.

Actually now that I take a look around I can't believe how cramped things are around here.  We are dwarves with picks and we like to mine, why are we not mining more?!  As such I've designated some new bedrooms and I'm widening a few halls here and there to try and keep up with the bustle of this place.

I've also noticed that there are no spare beds, tables, chairs... the list goes on.  Everybody seems to sit around and drink booze all day.  Let's be industrious friend dwarves!

Geshud Becorlikot continues to be upset.

4th Slate, 869

28 beds... 28 beds for 71 dwarves.  No wonder so many dwarves are sleeping together.

Kogan Udistlimul was struck down by the Geshud who is still in a tantrum... I tried to order the military to take that miner out but they refused to follow the order.

Geshud calmed down and retired to her room and isn't bothering anyone else for the moment.

5th Slate, 869

He is done!

Yes, he named it after himself...

6th Slate

Some migrants have arrived...

A cheese maker
A peasant
A high master herbalist
A mechanic
A baby calf
A miner/axe dwarf
A second miner/fighter
A wood crafter/miller
A high master fish dissector, aka a sushi chef
A novice fish cleaner, I think he works for the sushi chef
A pony foal
A kitten
A clothier
A high master gem setter
An adequate metal smith
A milker
A goat kid
A wood cutter..

22 of them.

Oh my goodness!  Where are all of these dwarves going to eat/sleep.  We have a serious lack of facilities for the dwarves we have now not to mention all these new migrants.

15th Slate

Most of the mayor's requirements for better rooms have been satisfied, but she still needs an office.

That bastards Geshud is at it again... killed Meng Ustuthnakuth and assaulted yours truly!

As I swooned with pain my second to last thought before I fell unconscious was, "that bitch must die."

My last thought was, "I sure wish I'd designated a new chief medical dwarf..."

(seriously using the squad menu I can't target a dwarf anymore... I haven't played in a few weeks (since 31.120 but I can't imagine this has changed.  What am I missing?  Little help please.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:02:49 pm by Pisano »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2010, 02:14:21 am »

Yes, he named it after himself...

That's awesome.  I've never seen that happen, is it a bug or a feature?

Regarding the targeting of dwarves, I don't think you can order them killed unless they're berserk.  I could be wrong, though.  If there's a fortress guard but no jails, they should eventually get around to beating your assailant, possibly to death.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2010, 03:22:31 am »

Last I checked, there was no fortress guard.  Also, the new version allows target kill orders on anything.  Merchants, wildlife, even your own dwarves (supposedly).  Don't know why that wouldn't be working though, it should target whatever is at the cursor...

And yeah, artisans naming their work after themselves has been around for quite some time.  I think it's an intended feature (DF doesn't have features and bugs, it just has intended and unintended features), but can't be sure.  Never seen one do it with a nickname though, that's fun.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:21 am »

And yeah, artisans naming their work after themselves has been around for quite some time.  I think it's an intended feature (DF doesn't have features and bugs, it just has intended and unintended features), but can't be sure.  Never seen one do it with a nickname though, that's fun.

Well, there are some bugs.  Like when messy dwarves can't figure out what to do with the soap they just picked up and won't shut up about it.  >_<

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2010, 09:52:02 am »

Yeah, it occurred to me that assigning a captain of the guard might cause someone to enforce the law.  I also started making a jail, but needed some cages.  There are plenty of dwarves to make stuff and mine, but a handful are really unhappy.  Judging by the relationships many of these dwarves were not kept very busy so they all just sat around talking and getting to the point where they actually like each other.  That seems like the first ingredient in the recipe for tantrum spiral.  Will update later today.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »

16th Slate

Since the military won't act I ordered the construction of a jail.  Okay, I ordered some metal cages, when those are built we'll have a jail.  We also have very few bars to make more cages, except for quite a few fine steel bars which I'd rather see used for the military.

There are, however, an increasing number of discontent dwarves.  Fights are breaking out in the all-too-crowded halls.  Why just now Stinthad Ustuthurvad, Cheese Maker threw a tantrum and was beaten down by the newly appointed Captain of the Guard, Mosus Ostarcatten.  At least that is what I hear, I'm still unconscious in a hospital bed.

26th Slate

Fighting continues between various disgruntled dwarves and the militia commander.  The latest dwarf picked up a steel crossbow and was bashing the militia commander with it.

Also one of the dwarves ran panicked into my hospital room/office to report...

In a hushed voice he said, "That translats to Camaba Spurtedpusses."  Eww...

Based on his description it occured to me that this thing can probably fly, being a pterosaur and having feathers and all.  I sure hope there is no way for it to fly into the fortress.

The digging of some new, low rent, living quarters has been undertaken.  As I ordered up the construction of a few doors (from my bed), and some coffers and cabinets for the new rooms one of the masons explained that they were swimming in doors already.

Evidently some previous overseer really liked doors.

1st Felsite

The first valorous thing I've heard about since my tenure began happened today.  The tree cutters set upon by vile skeletal rabbits.  The alarm was raised and Kol Arrowowner, the Flowery Stale Bowel of Gulfs, Swordsdwarf (yes he really insists that everyone use his full title), came to the rescue before anyone was injured.

10th Felsite

Well, that didn't take too long...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The lye maker, who had been a troublemaker, was the first to feel Camabra's wrath.  Notice that just before this he had been beating on some poor tanner.

Before the military proper could arrive an engraver, Urvad Vabokducim, started pelting it the crossbow he was carrying around for some reason.  He isn't in the military or anything, so I have no idea why he is walking around with a steel crossbow.  Actually given how ruff and tumble this place has become it is probably a personal protection crossbow and it sure came in handy this time.

The beast hit itself with extract... presumably this was not a problem for it.

But the crossbowman's bolts took a toll...

Just then a completely under equipped member of the military arrived wearing with nothing but some pig leather garb and wielding an iron pick.  He proceededto injure the beast several times before it let loose with another spray knocking him back down the ramp and senseless.

The beast then moved to the main workshop and dining level and dwarves scattered everywhere.  Camaba decided to try and finish off the pick wielder so it went back down the ramp only to run into the mighty iron pick of Ber Udilnonub, Elite Wrestler.

Urvad's continued to pelt it with crossbow bolts so enraging it that it never managed to injure Ber who was standing next to it and periodically getting blasted and stunned by the noxious fumes.

When the beast stopped moving to catch its breath the dwarves saw an opening for a series of vicious blows.

Ber was really intent on finishing off the downed creature, either that or he has a future in forgotten beast dentistry.

Despite an absolutely brutal beating the beast continued to fight.

Elsewhere in the fortress, despite or perhaps because of the fact that the fortress was in the middle of a fight with a true force of nature, dwarves continued to be quite unhappy tantruming left and right.  The military arrived quickly to deal with the forgotten beast but several died and word of their deaths caused further consternation.

Showing no wounds whatsoever the valiant Ber Udilnonub just bled to death.  One minute his mighty iron pick was hacking away on Camaba and the next he bled to death.  Perhaps this is what the forgotten beast extract does with continued exposure.

The chipped and pulped beast continued continues to lashing out with its vapours.

And then it was no more.  As the beast gave it's last vaporous breath a stream of dwarves rushed in to dance on it's coprse, or maybe it was to quickly claim all the items dropped by those who had perished.  I think it was likely the latter given the dwarves in this place.  It seems the whole epic battle had become a spectator even as a dozen dwarves descended on the scene.  It was bedlam.

12th Felsite

Population 79

The manager and bookkeeper are both dead.  Almost half of the dwarves have come to me to tell me they are miserable.  They want to go back to the mountain homes where there are fluffy bunny rabbits instead of viscous skeletal ones with big pointy teeth.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:17:58 pm by Pisano »

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:44 pm »

Ooh, it has shells. To the butcher's shop with you!

We're all waiting with bated breath to see what terrrible thing the poisonous vapors do.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »

I'm quite worried that this fortress will go down to a tantrum spiral.  Most of the dwarves don't have housing, there are very few statues or other items that might generate happiness.  There was almost no wood when I took over to build beds for the housing.  About the only thing holding this fortress together is booze.  Pray that it is enough.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16