Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56746 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2010, 11:55:01 am »

Thanks for the advice/critique guys. I know it still needs some work. I'd like to lengthen it a little, but I don't think sectioning is the way to go. I think it would do better to have a paragraph or two of willow soul's ramblings while he's stuck somewhere out of mans reach. I think that would kind of make the loss of momentum seem more natural. It's not a loss of momentum of the writing that way, so much as a loss of willpower in the sword as he slowly slinks further into despair. IDK, though. We'll see.

Tense is one of the trickier things in this story, since I don't believe it is solidly in one tense or another, but sort of an abstract tense caught in the sword's lack of an accurate perception of time. I'm gonna have to work on portraying that better.

The whole thing kind of came at me like a whirlwind, idea wise. I just had the idea pop into my head, sat down and wrote it out in an hour or two. Been doing a little revision here and there for a couple weeks, but it hasn't changed too much from the original.

I'll have some more writing to post later on, but it's not complete enough/revised enough right now.

Unrelated note, does anyone know a good, free way to copyright your work? I know mailing it to yourself works, but does email do the same? Technically it provides a verified date and proof the work is yours...but... I'm not too sure.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »

What you're talking about isn't copyright itself (I've read somewhere on these forums, that as soon as the work's been written it's copyright to you), it's a way to prove the work is copyright to you, in case there is doubt. You know, even if you lawyer-stamped an online copy, someone could still challenge your right. I would think that an e-mail works, as long as the service is secure enough and independent, because someone else would have a hard time to come up with a similar proof. I imagine it's been typed into a computer straight away? I've heard that people rely on physical drafts sometimes.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:05 pm »

Yeah, it's straight to the computer. I just can't get a good flow going with pen and paper. As far as the service, I can either use gmail or my dads private server, probably go for the second one. I'm not too worried about it right now, but I wanted to know for the future.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »

For the dad's private server, I'm by no means a pro servers person, and not really a pro computer person, but couldn't you, say, manipulate date and time on your dad's computer so that for your e-mail they would be earlier than of another claimant? That's what I meant by secure and independent - that neither you nor any other interested party could change something to their advantage.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2010, 12:47:51 pm »

ah. then in that case gmail is probably better, unless google is out to steal my work, which I highly doubt. I guess I misunderstood what you meant.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

For future reference and current clarity: sending a copy to yourself does not in any way improve your standing. In the US, at least, there are two kinds1 of copyright.

First is the sort you get simply by creating something. Once you have "fixed [your work] in a tangible form of expression", you have copyright on it. You're not even required to put a copyright notice on. It's good to include one anyway, though, because having a copyright notice on published copies makes it much easier to win a copyright suit.

Of course, you can't actually file a copyright suit regarding a US-originated work unless you register with the Copyright Office. That's more complicated, costs money, and is generally a bit of a pain. On the other hand, registration within five years of publication (that is, making the work available to the public, defined as people without an explicit or implicit restriction with respect to the disclosure of the material) means that your position in court is basically unassailable.

Regardless, there isn't any middle ground; the "poor man's copyright" doesn't have any legal benefit under US copyright law.

---
1. Not technically, but practically.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

So as long as I have proof that it's mine and I copyright it within five years of publishing, I should be fine then? Well, that's nice to know. I'm a long way off from having anything publishable that would really need that. The most I've got right now are short stories like the one above, which, if I sell it to a magazine they get rights to use it according to the terms of the agreement, but shouldn't that serve as a way to prove the material is mine as well? I don't know as much about copyrights as I should, but that's ok cus writing is just a hobby for me anyway.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »

For future reference and current clarity: sending a copy to yourself does not in any way improve your standing. In the US, at least, there are two kinds1 of copyright.

First is the sort you get simply by creating something. Once you have "fixed [your work] in a tangible form of expression", you have copyright on it. You're not even required to put a copyright notice on. It's good to include one anyway, though, because having a copyright notice on published copies makes it much easier to win a copyright suit.

Of course, you can't actually file a copyright suit regarding a US-originated work unless you register with the Copyright Office. That's more complicated, costs money, and is generally a bit of a pain. On the other hand, registration within five years of publication (that is, making the work available to the public, defined as people without an explicit or implicit restriction with respect to the disclosure of the material) means that your position in court is basically unassailable.

Regardless, there isn't any middle ground; the "poor man's copyright" doesn't have any legal benefit under US copyright law.

---
1. Not technically, but practically.

Then how about these sites that claim that if you publish a creative work on their pages you have copyright on that work? I even have to choose between different sorts of copyright (usually GPL or somesuch) for my Scribd account.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »

Hey bjlong, thanks very much for reading my writing and giving me such feedback, I really appreciate it - it's great to see another angle and it definitely opens up my own writing to me.

I thought, as soon as everybody in here tends to like fantasy, I would have a crack at this, for fun and practice - an opening to a story, based on the DF world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »

Hey bjlong, thanks very much for reading my writing and giving me such feedback, I really appreciate it - it's great to see another angle and it definitely opens up my own writing to me.

I thought, as soon as everybody in here tends to like fantasy, I would have a crack at this, for fun and practice - an opening to a story, based on the DF world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was pretty good! The only thing I have to say aside from grammar Nazi nitpicking is that Zathrut had a rather large vocabulary for a goblin, in my opinion. It's much better than I can ever do with DF based stories. My prose tends to fall flat when it's based on something else.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »

Disregard my earlier post, I think I have this somewhat presentable now. This isn't my published stuff, this is practice, and it's going to be ongoing. I am, however, not going to fix any of these up. I am putting more work into their writing from the outset rather than relying on drafts. Because, like I said, these are practice. Criticism, and comments are welcome. No blurb yet as I will leave that for later.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »

Posted this on the MSPA forums, but didn't really get a lot of replies. So here it is here, for review.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »

So as long as I have proof that it's mine and I copyright it within five years of publishing, I should be fine then? Well, that's nice to know. I'm a long way off from having anything publishable that would really need that. The most I've got right now are short stories like the one above, which, if I sell it to a magazine they get rights to use it according to the terms of the agreement, but shouldn't that serve as a way to prove the material is mine as well? I don't know as much about copyrights as I should, but that's ok cus writing is just a hobby for me anyway.

So long as you register it, at least. You should be fine even without that; if you were to sell it to a magazine you grant them usage rights but (generally, in my understanding) retain your copyright.

Then how about these sites that claim that if you publish a creative work on their pages you have copyright on that work? I even have to choose between different sorts of copyright (usually GPL or somesuch) for my Scribd account.

They're simply stating the obvious--under US law, when you create a work, you have copyright on it. They're asking you about various sorts of licenses, not sorts of copyrights. Licenses determine what the public is able to do with a copyrighted, published work; under the GPL the list of things they can do is quite long (so long as any derivative works remain GPL-licensed). For licensing free creative works I tend to prefer the Creative Commons licenses.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:26 am »

Willfor, I thought that very clever.  I'm on my phone at the moment, and so it would be a huge pain to be more detailed, but I liked most of it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:20 am »

It's beautiful. Has anyone noticed how beautiful the sky today is?... Three amazing submissions in one day, and lots of action! I'm calling the Last Days.

Anyway, @mendonca: I liked it very much and cracked up at the end, although I'm not sure if the the power of dwarves is going to be explained in the further entries, or it's natural as I haven't played DF for a long time and don't know anything about the current balance. I mean it felt as if there's some ambiguity to whether the uber-dwarves are an important point, or that all dwarves are like that.

@Willfor: That's what I'm talking about. The action is so good (and it has characterization, too) I almost wept. Also, nice vignette in the title. ;) Now, criticism. I felt as if there's some disparity of the pacing between the beginning and the end, specifically where the protagonist starts telling how he (probably she?) fared after the escape. It feels like a distinctly different part, and I'm going to insist on asterisks again.

@Karnewarrior: I liked your story. It could use some proofreading, but it's well-told, and I'm interested to see how it continues. What I see as its weaknesses - the protagonists has little characterization, he could use some expression, or voiced thoughts... Or maybe you need to slow down the pace a little, hold up a little in a scene. For example, some event in the forest, to break the dynamic, and admire the surroundings.
The beginning may need some exposition. I know they say you need to start in the middle, but that's too much - it feels amateur. Start a little slower, with a bit of description. With "Senator James R. Lemonsnout was hanging with his neck through a noose on a rope, the other end of which was tied to a branch of an old oak - which served as a home to Pyrope, a witch..." Or something like that.
Also, you overuse the protagonist's name - "he" could suffice in some places. Try replacing Lemonsnout with "he", but avoid ambiguity.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38