Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56743 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

It needs some editing to ensure a proper flow, but its not bad. The language is just fine for the type of song. :)

Hmm, let me find the last song I wrote...

Spoiler: Relinquish Me (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »

I think it's sort of a given that few writers are ever entirely satisfied with their past work. The ones that are tend to hang their pens over the fireplace and live out the rest of their days in peace. :P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:13 pm »

I think it's sort of a given that few writers are ever entirely satisfied with their past work. The ones that are tend to hang their pens over the fireplace and live out the rest of their days in peace. :P

Its what leads to progress. If we were ever satisfied with our current quality level, we'd learn nothing new. I like looking at old poems, songs and stories in order to see where I've come from. Though at times I cringe in horror, it's definitely a learning experience. =)

The same goes for these types of groups. By networking with other writers, we expose ourselves to different writing styles and a more expansive vocabulary. I think I need to participate in these things more often!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2012, 12:43:50 am »

So, I've been working on a shonen comic for a bit now. I had a false start with it a few years ago, and recently started to work on it again. My strategy is a bit different then what it was before.

This time, I plan to have the comic completely outlined before I start scripting. Once that done, I plan to have one Saga completely written out before I go look for an artist again.
It's meant to be a web comic, with an interest in monetizing, but maybe for shits and grins I'll try to shop it around first. You never know.

The three main characters are:

Kyle Morance (Proton Man), Mid 20s and the most experience hero of the group.

Alexander Zakkia Tanner (Zak), Late Teens. Just finishing high school and was on his way to college out of town. Best friends with Rush.

Robert Parker (Rush), Late Teens and just finished high school. He's a hacker by skill but also a proficient street fighter. Best friends with Zak.

The Hero Saga is to introduce the world, the characters, and to show that the world is futurey martial arts focus world. It'll also introduce a variety of other elements about the comic setting, and it'll be introducing the first and reoccurring big bad.

What I have now, is the Overview Outline, which contains the comic story from beginning to end, broken up into Saga's. Starting with their heroship, and covering little bit until Kyle dies.

What I'd like is maybe some feed back on the outline, and general interest in the story. If there a good variety of enemies, and things for the hero to deal with.

I have most of the major fights worked out. I know how my 'Ki' works, and I know how it empowers my characters. I just finished up some research into Mach Cones to help visually display physical power of the characters.

I have my 5 cities worked out, even though you won't be seeing two of them.

It's largely inspired by Dragonball Z, but overall, I just want to tell a cool well executed shonen story.

This is the Overview Outline, coving the entire story of the comic.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1toKe1SaUicSnqhFXInQ0k9hjj0nB1yqNgObx7aFeWEU/edit

This is an extended Outline of the Here Saga. It many grouping of bullet points are serve as page breaks, with each bullet point serving as a panel.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJDC_Xtn1cZjEtsauha6sGJgDmz7xY1eH7z3V7KVmLU/edit
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:49:14 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:40 pm »

This is a nice corner and needs more love.

Here is the first part of an ongoing project I'm working on. Essentially I'm venting my frustration with bad heroic fantasy novels by re-writing them to make them good/less awful. It's been rather enjoyable battling purple prose and terrible characters while still trying to maintain the spirit of the piece.

I uploaded it to Scribd because I find it hard to read anything of any length on this forum. Fonts, colours, broken eyes, who knows?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:20 pm »

Here's a short story I wrote.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #501 on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »

This is the Overview Outline, coving the entire story of the comic.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1toKe1SaUicSnqhFXInQ0k9hjj0nB1yqNgObx7aFeWEU

This is an extended Outline of the Here Saga. It many grouping of bullet points are serve as page breaks, with each bullet point serving as a panel.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJDC_Xtn1cZjEtsauha6sGJgDmz7xY1eH7z3V7KVmLU

Are these links working for anyone else? They're blank documents for me.

Ignus, I'm at work, so I only read the first paragraph, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. klingon, your pacing is marvelous. :P

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #502 on: April 05, 2012, 04:02:53 pm »

Are these links working for anyone else? They're blank documents for me.

Also blank for me. (+thanks for kind words)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:46 pm »

Weird. Sorry about that.
---
It seems that google docs aren't generator their links correctly.

After some fernaggling I got the links to work I think:

This is for the Overview Outline:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1toKe1SaUicSnqhFXInQ0k9hjj0nB1yqNgObx7aFeWEU/edit

This is for the Hero Saga:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJDC_Xtn1cZjEtsauha6sGJgDmz7xY1eH7z3V7KVmLU/edit

And you should be able to leave comments on the docu itself.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:47:30 pm by MrWiggles »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #504 on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:00 pm »

Ignus, that was a fun read. Good heroic fantasy is basically pulp, which is a genre near to my heart.

Speaking of which, my next project at Many Words is almost certainly going to be a zeppelins-and-skypirates Nazi-punching adventure archaeology romp through alternate history 1929. I can barely wait to get started.

The world's a collaborative project with a friend of mine, and it's probably one of the better-realized worlds I've come up with (the one I'm writing in now wins, since it's been a project about a decade in the making).

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #505 on: April 05, 2012, 08:01:06 pm »

Today I had to explain to my sister why it is not acceptable for her to describe windows as "mysterious" for no reason other than to add more descriptive words to the short story she was writing for homework. I fear for her generation :(

Also I can't decide how to intro a story I keep trying to write in my spare time. My latest attempt involved the main character narrating from first person (I prefer writing in first person) as they fight a werewolf in an alley. I can't decide if them interrupting this fight mid-narrative to break into a short lecture on how magic works is a good thing or not. It is in keeping with their character, but I can't tell if it flows well, flows poorly or flows poorly but in a well kind of way.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:12:21 pm by MorleyDev »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 05, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »

She likes Twilight doesn't she?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #507 on: April 05, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »

She likes Twilight doesn't she?

She says she likes it because it's so stupid. Actually watched a bit of it with her and it was just constant snarking from me and her.

That makes me feel better about her generation.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:10:41 pm by MorleyDev »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #508 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »

I can't decide if them interrupting this fight mid-narrative to break into a short lecture on how magic works is a good thing or not.
It's not. Imagine you're coming to your story as a reader. If you're trying to hook them with action even two or three paragraphs of exposition are enough to completely stall it and kill what you were working toward. If it's so complex that the reader couldn't possibly follow the scene without exposition then perhaps you shouldn't lead the story with it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #509 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »

Well it's only a paragraph on magic, followed by two before it of him rambling about his occupation. Basically I was trying to mix it into the fighting. Here's what I have so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't think of how to get back into the flow from there though. And the first paragraph needs rewriting or scrapping for a better one...also I probably need to go over it and remove a lot of the commas. Using too many of them, and generally writing too long sentences, is a bad habit of mine. I usually have to go through anything I write and split sentences up into smaller ones. Several other paragraphs could probably use touches up. I honestly haven't really written many action scenes.

Also "wizard secret agent super spy" is a pretty good description of my idea for the character, but I need a better and more snarky way to introduce the concept...And would a body where the air around it suddenly became superheated contract it's muscles reflexively?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:31:35 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38