Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56736 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

On a related note, what are people's writing schedules like? Do you do a set amount per day whether you like it or not? Do you measure by the word or by time? How fast do you write?

I generally try to fill at least one page of a notebook whenever I sit down, and preferably two (~300-600 words). Sometimes I end up going much further.

I find that handwriting a draft and typing later is the ideal method for me: the distractions are fewer, and when I'm not stuck on phrasing something, I write at about the same pace at which I can think of good prose. For whatever reason, I find that I strike the right balance between revising on the fly and pressing onward when I write by hand, too; things I don't catch on the fly I get a second shot at when I type up. I try not to get more than a few thousand words ahead on paper, though. It's hard to have backups of paper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2012, 10:27:59 am »

Ooh this place looks like a good place for technical advice.

I'm just writing fanfiction for fun, but I'd love some crazy nitpicking to make sure I'm on the right track, and I've annoyed my friends for criticism too much already. Tell me what I'm doing wrong; practice makes perfect of course, but I don't want to find myself becoming really good at writing the wrong way.

This shouldn't require any knowledge of anything, is 890 words, and is just the starting scene. Fire away, if someone would be so kind.

Oh, and beware: ponies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:57 am »

You're using way too many commas for what you need. "Pen Pusher sat at his desk, like he did every day, monitoring the lab equipment." -> "Just like every day, Pen Pusher sat at his desk monitoring the lab equipment."

There are sentences in there where it fits, but over the whole of the story you're using too many sentences which rely on using them. Or even using them where you don't need them. Commas slow prose down by their very nature, and having too many of them can slow your reader down to the point of frustration. Though I think you're not far from the mark of acceptable comma levels if this is even a problem. Minor critique.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:10 am »

Hrm, alright. I use commas a hell of a lot when talking online, so I guess it translated to this.

Unbroken sentences sound stilted to me, most of the time.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:24 am »

Yeah, I've found it's best to have two (or three or four) separate writing styles. I don't make forum posts in my prose voices, and likewise I don't write with my forum voice. The reason is because you're attempting to engage two entirely separate parts of the brain with each. On a forum you're attempting to push raw information into a reader's mind as they are sitting at their computer, and are interested in reading pure opinion pieces. With prose, even fanfiction, you're attempting to invoke that same primitive storytelling technique that people employed even before Homer. You're appealing to a brain that has sat down with the intention of engaging with a polished narrative. However, they are often not completely engaged until you pull them with the way you construct your sentences.

The other side of the coin is that people will read absolute shit writing if you pull them in with the story, and they will even greatly enjoy it. The problem is that you have to use a particular kind of writing style to write in that way.

EDIT: Also, please realize that the reason I can point this out so easily is because I have the hardest time with commas in my own work. I still deal with my overuse of commas any time I sit down to write. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:13:15 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »

Strangely and unexpectedly for myself, I'm here with feedback, I guess.

For my lack of cents - or pennies - I think it's an absolutely bad starting scene. It depends on what kind of starting scene it is, but I'll assume that it's for the whole story. I'm searching for an apt adjective, and not coming up with anything better than "boring". Or, maybe, "expository". My technical advice for a beginning writer is, start with action. It's sure helpful to know that scientific work is boring even if you're a pony, but if you must convey it, do it quickly and entertainingly. Three paragraphs is not the way to go.

in my opinion.

Aaand, also cliché. I mean it seems only lazy filmmakers don't do a scene in a thriller where someone in a tube suddenly/unexpectedly/thrillingly opens his/her eyes. Although the angle on the witness's personality is pleasing. (Or it may contribute to the boring-ness.) It depends on whether the personality plays any role further in the story.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #531 on: April 10, 2012, 02:06:17 pm »

I have to agree with Mikhail that it starts out with too much exposition. I understand it's all necessary for the scene that follows, which is pretty good and could be taken in a number in of different ways, but you open with about three paragraphs of exposition which is just too easy to lose the reader with. Almost lost me, in fact. I think maybe you could start the scene having Golden Tiara paying her visit which would be a much more involving way to do it. You could also use that as a opportunity to show Pen Pusher being looked down on by the more serious scientist ponies so you could get rid of the other bit of exposition in there and allow us to become more emotionally involved with the protagonist. As it stands now it's really hard for us to empathize with exposition.

I don't agree that climax was cliched though because I don't feel like it was played in the way it's always played, an easy way to shock the audience. Instead I see it as the logical consequence of the narrative. Rather, the shock is the other consequences of his actions which we're still left anticipating. Besides, I don't see how you could do it any other way.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:29 pm »

*swoon*

Some of the best feedback since I've started writing. Note to self: write small stuff so they don't get terrified and run away.

@supermikhail

I can see the "too much exposition" thing. Trying to do some foreshadowing for later stuff but hey. I'll see what I can cut out to make it go faster.

Length is something I've struggled with since I started this. I go on too long.

@ fqllve

Golden Tiara was introduced earlier, but since I'm thinking of cutting that earlier part out and making this the "true" beginning, bringing her in might be a good idea.

As for "cliche"... heh yeah I know this sort of thing has been done a million times. Hell, just listen to my inspiration for it. I hope to take it a couple places you won't predict, but of course I can't say that until I actually finish writing it. I mean, half my source material is all about cliches done right, so it's not a huge red flag for me.

And as for "where this sits in the narrative", well, Pen Pusher's just a one shot character. His story will be done within the next dozen or so pages. I'm trying for a more episodic style; you shouldn't even have to read chapters in order. As such, I'm really in agreement that I should cut down on exposition; too much time on one dude who'll be gone in a flash. Trying to make the reader be a tad bit creeped out while still slightly sympathetic to him, but I can do that in less words.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:25:21 am by kaijyuu »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:29 pm »

On the topic of the poll - I already am a professional writer.

Of marketing materials. :(
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bilgewater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:37 pm »

Hi. I'm nearly brand new to the forums and I think I already screwed something up. I posted a DF inspired story to the Community Games & Stories section and after reading a bunch of the other posts in that sub-forum I now realize it probably should have gone in this thread (or hereabouts). You can find the story here, and if someone could let me know what I ought to do with it - or if you want to comment on the story itself - I'd appreciate it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 11, 2012, 05:17:50 am »

Ah, this should hopefully be a simple technical question:

There's a particular fight scene I've been having trouble with. Not gonna link it here since it's horrible, but the big problem I've been having with it is one of the major players doesn't have their name revealed until the end of the fight.

How do you effectively refer to a character constantly without giving a name? I've been referring to them by a major trait (in this case, age), but it sounds odd to keep calling someone "the old lady" something like 12 times. I fear I'm going to confuse the reader, especially since there are other unnamed characters in the same scene and I can foresee them getting mixed up.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:20 am »

the granny? the white haired woman? She? the wrinkled face? or maybe add a description of her dress, like, if it's pink, "the pink dressed woman grabbed the shotgun and began shooting while yelling strange words" "the strange yelling woman..." synonyms!

btw i usually write 3000 words once every two days. I'm trying to get on a stable rhythm, since somebody introduced me to fanfictions I actually started writing one albeit I know it's horrible, it's a nice exercise.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:14 am »

since somebody introduced me to fanfictions I actually started writing one albeit I know it's horrible, it's a nice exercise.
Horrible? Pfft. A story's a story. There isn't a high or low tier to fiction, and originality be damned; if it's good, it's good.

Re: synonyms. That's exactly where I'm concerned people will get confused. Guess I should bust out a thesaurus, and try to be a big more creative...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 11, 2012, 06:31:35 am »

There isn't a high or low tier to fiction, and originality be damned; if it's good, it's good.
That certainly depends on the context...

@ Bilgewater DF fiction is not my cup of tea. As publishers say, could you post something else, preferably in the sci-fi genre or more conventional/original fantasy?

@ Grakelin I can see it's a fun occupation. Well, you're published, anyway. I'd like to point out that we've at least got two people who earn their living by putting words on paper/hard drive. And five people who hope to do so. If there were a person with organizational skill, know-how and something special, we probably could get a good ball rolling. ::)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 11, 2012, 06:45:03 am »

There isn't a high or low tier to fiction, and originality be damned; if it's good, it's good.
That certainly depends on the context...
Well yeah. If you want to make money, you have to care about copyright and all that.
Cliches can bore people too, but cliches became cliches because they work (and were overused). Sneak em past the reader's cliche radar and they work just as well as they did the first time.

But my point was there's nothing "horrible" about derivative works. Only practical concerns. A fanfiction can pull just as large an emotional response out of a reader as a completely original work.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38