Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56737 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #540 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:47 am »

Well said.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:27 am »

Well, for all my rational agreement (and for the thin line over which fanfiction becomes "official numnum novel"), why does it feel so derisible? At least for me. And for my sister, say, and some other folks.

Scratch that, I know. For its majority's horrible (self-insert) quality. But if it's good, it must be good, I guess, or we wouldn't have "official numnum novels."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:27 am »

Since I've given some critiques on some other people's works in the Creative Projects forums, it seems only fair and right that I post some of my stuff to prove that I'm not (totally) talking out of my ass.

This is the first ~900 words of intro to what (for me) is a longer project - currently 7,000 words and going strong! - as most of my stuff is best defined as micro-fiction.

Anyway, hopefully I won't bore you all to tears:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2012, 09:48:12 am »

Just a note on "not telling the reader the names yet" it can help if you write in a... somewhat personal way.  That is, write the thoughts of someone observing the situation, even if there's no one observing.  When I did similar, I ended up referring to the old lady as "granny" very often.  "He took a swing but granny managed to dodge."  By the end of it I was capitalizing Granny as that had become the de-facto name.  At least until the name was revealed.  But to do that, and assign an arbitrary title to a character, requires just a bit of "invisible observer" type thinking.  It becomes just a bit more subjective and just a bit less "neutral statement of facts" if that makes sense.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57:23 am »

Double-Post!  Anyways, what occurs to me most here is that first, you'll be wearing chainmail over leather, not under.  Then, you're also using the name Max quite frequently when "he" will do, but that's a very minor issue.  I found it to be unnoticeable when I got further in and paid less attention to the words and more attention to the picture.  Which was done rather well.  Some flowery language might be snipped out, like "verdant" may not be instantly understood by everyone, and as they trying to remember what the word means, that's a moment where the picture disappears and the words reappear.

Otherwise very good.  You know what you're doing and you know how to make a first draft.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:43 am »

Well, for all my rational agreement (and for the thin line over which fanfiction becomes "official numnum novel"), why does it feel so derisible? At least for me. And for my sister, say, and some other folks.

Scratch that, I know. For its majority's horrible (self-insert) quality. But if it's good, it must be good, I guess, or we wouldn't have "official numnum novels."

There are a couple of things that build fanfaction's reputation for being inferior to original fiction. 1) People can unjustly link the fact that an author hasn't created a world of their own to write in with an inability to be properly creative. 2) There is a lot of fanfiction out there, and Sturgeon's Law applies to it. Because there is no barrier to entry except to actually write it, you are able to read anything that anyone was willing to sit down and type out.

Fanfiction is, at the writing level, absolutely no different from any other sort of prose. Of the two sides, the authors who support fanfiction actually recommend writing it to practice your technical skills before you set out to write your own world. The authors who don't support fanfiction are often very concerned with their intellectual properties, and they are worried about getting into a legal battle with an asshole fan who has put out a copyright claim because of their work in the world. There are great points to both sides, actually, but I've always come away from these debates with the distinct impression of "it's perfectly okay to write fanfiction if you're not going to be an asshole about it, and make trouble for the original author."

Probably good life advice in general.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #546 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

Since I've given some critiques on some other people's works in the Creative Projects forums, it seems only fair and right that I post some of my stuff to prove that I'm not (totally) talking out of my ass.

This is the first ~900 words of intro to what (for me) is a longer project - currently 7,000 words and going strong! - as most of my stuff is best defined as micro-fiction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'It was all just a dream' is done a lot, but this is a competent execution of the idea. Quibbles from the first half:

'deep claw marks ten feet long marked' - as a matter of personal taste, I try to avoid repeating descriptive words in quick succession.

'the entire valley had been teaming with game' - teeming. Alternate, snarkier comment: but then the valley was ejected from the match, leaving game to play a man down. :P

There were some other things I thought, like 'a minor lordling' being redundant, but I'm willing to let those slide if you claim that it's an artifact of it being a kid's dream.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #547 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:05 am »

2) There is a lot of fanfiction out there, and Sturgeon's Law applies to it. Because there is no barrier to entry except to actually write it, you are able to read anything that anyone was willing to sit down and type out.

I'm not sure which side you're taking on that debate, or indeed if you're taking one at all, but I suppose I'm going to make an orthogonal point anyway: there isn't much a barrier of entry to original fiction either, and Sturgeon's Law applies to it just the same (c.f. me). I'd suggest that fanfiction's reputation isn't bad because it's mostly crap, but because it's mostly crap and most fandoms have a large, pre-existing audience, who may not be great writers or critics, but who can identify crap when it's placed next to the original, presumably-not-crap* series.

* By the standards of the fandom, anyway; 'crap' is a subjective point in all but the most obvious cases.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2012, 10:23:25 am »

sometimes for example, fanfictions are done because something in the original plot was distasteful, to speak of an example easy to grasp: maybe the male protagonist chose a love interest some part of the audience wasn't fine with. (like the naruto + *insert Girl name here*) or because something was so blatantly obvious that the protagonist was made Stupidier to not notice it. *like half the spies in animes, who you can point your finger at them in a split second and say "IT'S HIM/HER!".
Usually fanfiction should be about adding original stuff to something, but it can also be written as a way to "personally" (personal likings) alter the plot in a way the writer deems better. Since obviously no one was born a writer, and there are various degrees of writing style, prose and even translation problems (usually writing in english, when you are not english by yourself can be troublesome), the quality varies. Sometime there is no *momentum* the author wants a determined pairing to start working, for example, and writes three lines to explain how it happened. "Naruto sees Hinata walking down the street, realizing how he loves her instead of that stupid Sakura, he runs over to her and confesses his feelings" then he proceeds on writing what he/she deems interesting for her. "The two cuddle next to a fire in the midst of a forest. A slight noise is heard in the background, a bear cub pokes his way through "Kawaii" exclaims Hinata" and things like that. Sometime, fanfiction arise as challenges: "I challenge fanfic writers to write about Warhammer 40k mixed with...jellyfishes!" other time it's for the lemons.

That's what I caught wind off looking around the fanfiction.net site. There are some wonderfully written crossovers or fanfic, and then there are some written badly, but still, it's nice to read them all and see how some people think the same things you do, and wrote them down, albeit badly, and your next thought is:"if they can write this like this. Why can't I try and write it...better?" 
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:57 am »

Anyways, what occurs to me most here is that first, you'll be wearing chainmail over leather, not under.

How dare you question me!

... Anyway, in my mind it's basically a leather coat over the chain, which would be over a cotten garment. I suppose you're probably right that it would go chain -> leather -> undershirt. I had the 'trenchcoated hero' thing going through my head when I wrote that.

Some flowery language might be snipped out, like "verdant" may not be instantly understood by everyone, and as they trying to remember what the word means, that's a moment where the picture disappears and the words reappear.
Curse you vocabulary! Yeah, I'll need to look to that - I've been told I do similar when I talk to people.

Quote from: Fishbreath
'deep claw marks ten feet long marked' - as a matter of personal taste, I try to avoid repeating descriptive words in quick succession.
Whoops, yeah, that second one should be 'scarred'.

'the entire valley had been teaming with game' - teeming.
*cough* I totally noticed that before, and was testing the lot of you. You passed. Good work!

There were some other things I thought, like 'a minor lordling' being redundant, but I'm willing to let those slide if you claim that it's an artifact of it being a kid's dream.
I'd imagine that, even between lordlings, there would be some that are more major or minor than others, but yeah, I could probably snip the 'minor' bit.

'It was all just a dream' is done a lot, but this is a competent execution of the idea.
Actually, getting into that idea is what forms the basis of the story, but unless I post more of it (which I can, if anyone's interested) it seemed like a good place to end that bit.

Thanks for the comments all!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:48:45 am by AlStar »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 11, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »

Regarding genres that some groups (sometimes majority) don't esteem highly, and going back to last page's request to critique a DF-based story, I wonder if common points could be found to explain the negative (or apathetic) reactions.

I think it's clearly visible when the writer is basing his narrative structure on DF's schemes. Well, first, there are names in the hastily-made-up DF style (or taken from DF languages). Then, there's extensive descriptiveness and a lot of exposition. Maybe third is the lack of a good and clear conflict.

I wonder if I'm talking out of my ass. It seems like those are traits of just bad writing. But then they would also characterize an average DF in-game story.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »

Hi. I'm nearly brand new to the forums and I think I already screwed something up. I posted a DF inspired story to the Community Games & Stories section and after reading a bunch of the other posts in that sub-forum I now realize it probably should have gone in this thread (or hereabouts). You can find the story here, and if someone could let me know what I ought to do with it - or if you want to comment on the story itself - I'd appreciate it.

(note: I realize that you're taking your names directly from your game.) While I know, logically, that names really shouldn't make a difference, and that you could as easily come up with a name by slamming your head into the keyboard for all that it should matter... with all that said, the names just don't sound good.

"Gembishzasit," "the Chartreuse Kingdom," to a lesser extent, "the Tired Jungle." They just don't flow with the narritive well. I was originally going to complain about the character names too, but on a second look, I think they actually work ok - they sound fantasy/foreign without becoming gibberish.

I think that your conversation in the Jungle doesn't flow terribly well, partially due to the way that it's worded, and partially because it's sort of silly and inconsistant. They'll be killed if they go back home? That seems unreasonable, but (as we all know) Dwarven justice is anything but just... But then one of the guards turns back anyway. If Streti thought so poorly of going on, why wouldn't she join the guard? And how would they get back home anyway? They don't have any supplies! One of the mules runs off and they're nearly eating their own boots.

My other problem concerns the line "From inside the walls, a dwarf’s voice called out, “The North Gate, run for the North Gate!”" and the juxtaposition with the prospective shift at the end. Either the defenders know that the caravan is out there, and they should be worried about them burning to death, or they don't, and they shouldn't be calling out to them.

I mean, unless Olin is a real heartless bastard who happened to be sleeping while the rest of the fortress defended the walls (which, as we know, can and will happen) he should know that those aren't fried goblins.

Overall, I felt like too much time was taken up by the bickering in the Jungle and not enough by the epic melee at the end.

Bilgewater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 11, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »

(note: I realize that you're taking your names directly from your game.)...
Overall, I felt like too much time was taken up by the bickering in the Jungle and not enough by the epic melee at the end.

Thanks for your comments Alstar.

I think names absolutely make a difference, and I agree that the ones I used were not great. I had a little trouble deciding which names I should use and yes, I definitely was using names from my dungeon. Now that I look back, I think I probably should have called Gembishsazit by its translation, Sealknife, which implies an inherent violence and sounds like actual words. I really liked "The Chartreuse Kingdom," if only as a slightly comedic title, but I can see how it would be jarring.

Ah, dialogue. I haven't written much in a while and it was never really my strong point. I'll re-work it. Also, I guess this point didn't really come across (namely because I never explicitly said it) but the caravan is human, not dwarven. I do imply that they're not dwarves, but I guess I ought to include some other clues.

As for the guard who turns back, I was trying to come up with a Bram Stoker-like sense of foreboding. I would explain his behavior as being afraid of a fate worse than death. I mean, personally I'd rather have my head chopped off than get run down in a field by a squad of goblins or burned alive by a dragon, but I get your point.

I'd justify Olin's behavior by saying that he was simply somewhere else when the first dwarf called out to the caravan. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't think dwarves have a psychic link to say "there are humans outside."

Lastly, I think battle scenes become boring very quick. Even exceptionally well written scenes eventually become tired and bogged down in their own bloodshed. Knowing this, I tried to keep it as brusque as possible. Did you think it was anti-climactic or just too short?

Thanks again for your response.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:14 pm »

Just a note on "not telling the reader the names yet" it can help if you write in a... somewhat personal way.  That is, write the thoughts of someone observing the situation, even if there's no one observing.  When I did similar, I ended up referring to the old lady as "granny" very often.  "He took a swing but granny managed to dodge."  By the end of it I was capitalizing Granny as that had become the de-facto name.  At least until the name was revealed.  But to do that, and assign an arbitrary title to a character, requires just a bit of "invisible observer" type thinking.  It becomes just a bit more subjective and just a bit less "neutral statement of facts" if that makes sense.
Hrm, makes sense I suppose.

When I see someone I don't know in a crowd or whatever, I tend to identify them visually. By their face, hair style, clothing, etc. That doesn't really translate to a title in my mind, since the identification is entirely non-verbal. If I had to point them out, I'd call them Red Shirt Guy or something.

Fortunately the character I'm writing in the perspective of would be the type of person to assign silly titles and names like that, so it should work!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 19, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »

Question for the more serious writers:

For stuff that's just... eh, should I try and revise it until it's decent, or toss it in a bin and work on something else? From a pure learning/practice perspective. Not like I'm writing anything to be published.

On one hand I feel like revising so that people I give it to for feedback won't point out things I already know, but on the other hand some parts just feel fundamentally unsalvageable and I'm worried I'm wasting my time.

(this is fun though. Next time I sign up for college classes, gonna try for a creative writing class)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38