Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 114991 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #780 on: August 26, 2010, 09:10:22 am »

What the fuck is GIthreadguy on about?!?"ohhh!customising characters is bad!" what the fuck!?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:38 am »

What the fuck is GIthreadguy on about?!?"ohhh!customising characters is bad!" what the fuck!?

He means that allowing them to customise their characters and create new Serial Killer Sagas is too much freedom and should be done away with, limiting it to historical murderers, like Itnetlolor's hypothetical proposed edutainment thing.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:44 am »

He means that allowing them to customise their characters and create new Serial Killer Sagas is too much freedom and should be done away with, limiting it to historical murderers, like Itnetlolor's hypothetical proposed edutainment thing.
Wow...Too much freedom in a game?I thought I would never hear of somebody that stupid and EDUTAINMENT!?!?!?That is just FUCKING stupid.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:50 am »

For the land of the free, there sure is a bloody lot of people trying to steal it away.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:41:58 am by nuker w »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:29 am »

So, it is still in development?  Not released?  (Did not read this thread.)

Was looking to grab this before the morale and ethical police bring it down.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 26, 2010, 09:56:12 am »

So, it is still in development?  Not released?  (Did not read this thread.)

Was looking to grab this before the morale and ethical police bring it down.

Give or take two months and don't bother with the whole moral argument.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 26, 2010, 10:00:09 am »

So to be able to follow in the foot steps of the real 'preset' historical murderers are offensive, and to be able to have the freedom to make your own character is offensive.
So, the game is offensive no matter what you do, which I'm sure is what Crimson knew in the first place.
May as well continue on.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:10 am »

This is a website that hosts two major games:

One of these games allows for the indiscriminate killing and mutilation of children, shows the effects of suicide and depression on a large populace, allows people to create elaborate death traps that can single-handedly kill hundreds.

The other is a simulator that makes light of political violence in today's world. Mass murder is a common occurrence, as is kidnapping, interrogation and torture, and incredibly bad chat up lines.

And people are complaining that a game where you walk around and kill people is going too far?

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:13 am »

As a human, I say better to kill pixles than people. I see nothing wrong with simulated violence  ;D
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:23 am »

It wouldn't really work with Itnetlolor's idea. Itnelolor is suggesting something akin to the criminal profiler's version of a flight simulator. If it's a linear game with the profiles already cut and dry, you're better off just ignoring it and going back to studying the real cases.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:48 am »

And you know what, Inetlolor? If a game like this have no purpose other than acting as a literal murder simulator, i'm sorry, but that's a far more damning criticism of the game. There are games like dwarf fortress, or gta, or mercenaries, or swat, or whatever, that ALREADY do the same thing, so why are you making a silly clone?

Wait, man. So you're saying that murder simulators are okay as long as they claim not to be murder simulators?

I'm saying that reinventing the wheel is dumb.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:23 am »

This isn't really the same thing as any of the games you mentioned.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:27 am »

...And people are complaining that a game where you walk around and kill people is going too far?
It's not the killing. Killing stuff is just fine, it's how you approach it. Shooting things is what every FPS is all about. Killing hundreds of uniformed soldiers is just fine. Uniformed soldiers aren't real people, it's okay to shoot them. And it's okay to nuke England or blow up a star system in a 4X game, because you never see the millions or billions of people who die. They're statistics, not real people. And while virtually every roguelike features mass murder as a method of keeping score and character advancement, this one here goes out of its way to personify the designated victims.

The suburb dwellers of this game aren't any more likely to die than the gnomish miners of Nethack, but the game actually bothers to point out that they are only your enemies because you broke into their house at night. And they do human things, like watch television. You get things like police officers tossed your way, subtle reminders that maybe you should be having some moral qualms about what you are doing here. Killing people is often the default method of interacting with the environment in games, but very rarely are the people being killed treated as people.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:35 am »

Generally in most other roguelikes the only reason enemies are your enemies is because you've invaded their homes as well.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:52 am »

almost 800 posts.  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 73