Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 112545 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2010, 09:06:50 am »

Yeah. Its "fantasy world sim", not "realistic farmer sim"! realism makes things more interesting and comparable to real life. when you see some complicated simulations like chopping off limbs or liquids dinamycs or healthcare system(its working in my fortresses for the most of time) or layering organics composture of creatures(skin, muscle, nerves, bones) for the first time you think - "WOW! THATS AWSOME! I WANNA TRY IT!".

Genesis mod has a little bit more of everything: males and females have different genitals, chickens and groundhogs have small legs, cows have udders, giraffe cheese is expensive; more friendly civs, a total of four hostile civs (demon alliance, werewolves, lizardmen, mind flayers).
And more magic, in the form of dwarf castes with abilities. Workshops to train shield, dodging, swordplay...
Come join us!

Playing adventure mode on Linux, the process got up to 2.9GiB of memory; just a sliver away from exhausting its virtual address space. If this was Windows, it'd have been long dead.
I'm guessing you have a large region at year 1050? How about checking the memory use at medium island, 250 years? I think the default year 1050 is ill-advised with DF .31.13.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:14:25 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2010, 09:07:16 am »

./mourn Win2k support :(

And the bugfixes look so nice, too ...
(especially since importing an old for dodges the world gen issues)

Here's to hoping for the return of Windows 2000 support, but I don't really expect it to happen.  Guess I get to explore 31.12 in great detail :p

Yeah, I miss W2k too. I gave it up about a year ago, although I'd still be using it given the choice. Best OS ever. :(

Since then I've changed to Ubuntu, since it's free and there's no way in hell I'm paying to inflict Vista or Windows 7 on myself. I've seen the hell it's put family members through.

If you decide to give Linux a go, remember you don't even have to install it on your hard drive to try. You can run Ubuntu from the Live-CD as long as you have 1GB of RAM.

If you've got less than that, you could give Xubutu a go, which I think can run on as little as 192MB of RAM.

Err... I cant agree with you about Win7 =)
Its pretty fine OS for Microsoft offspring! =) and its fast too. Well, not as much as Linux, but what "the hell it's put family members through" you are talking about??
The only hell it gave me - InstallDVD was glitching and refused to start the installation.
Oh! And majority of modern games is Win7 oriented - its kinda important for me. =)
Maybe i`ll install Linux as second OS with only purpose of running DF, but not as primary OS.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:54 am »

Yeah. Its "fantasy world sim", not "realistic farmer sim"! realism makes things more interesting and comparable to real life. when you see some complicated simulations like chopping off limbs or liquids dinamycs or healthcare system(its working in my fortresses for the most of time) or layering organics composture of creatures(skin, muscle, nerves, bones) for the first time you think - "WOW! THATS AWSOME! I WANNA TRY IT!".

Genesis mod has a little bit more of everything: males and females have different genitals, chickens and groundhogs have small legs, cows have udders, giraffe milk is expensive, more friendly civs, a total of four hostile civs (demon alliance, werewolves, lizardmen, mind flayers). And more magic, in the form of dwarf castes with abilities. Workshops to train shield, dodging, swordplay...
Come join us!

Well, maybe in next, bug-fixed version. And after rebalancing of Genesis mod according to new version. =)
I`d love to see it. The more races, the merrier!
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2010, 09:30:27 am »

Actually it's already released, and I strongly suggest to use 0.31.12 to generate worlds and play them in 0.31.13.

I totally dislike the current picture. I like the mechanics but the overall sprawl doesn't work at all.

A few points:

1) Dark fantasy. There should be big regions of wilderness and unknown land with beasts and monsters. You should be able to explore them, find something interesting and die quite often. I don't want "harvest moon" fortress.

2) Scaling. Adventure/fortress mode scaling problems were not as noticeable before, but now they are. In adv. mode you have to eat more often, and plants grow literal months. In Fortress mode dwarves eat 2 times per month or like that, so 4x4 farm is enough to feed a full fort.

Here comes a problem... We have a fort with 4x4 farms in a world of 100x100 farms. It totally breaks immersion.

My suggestion to solve both problems is to decrease farmland itself (and build more cottages, because 10 people in 1 small house is wrooong) and limit their number. I.e. 1 farm per small city, 2 farms per 1 medium city etc.

I am sure that's temporary, but it was too obvious not to comment on.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:03 am »

Maybe dwarves should teach humans how to farm.

... what?  What'd I say?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Drifton

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is still an optional part of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

Maybe dwarves should teach humans how to farm.

... what?  What'd I say?

I was thinking about that reading the other post about sprawl, i think the sprawl would be just fine as long as we could embark in it.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:03 am »

"Strike the furrowed peat!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:05 am »

"Strike the furrowed peat!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

"Strike the famers furrowing the peat!"

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2010, 11:38:28 am »

./mourn Win2k support :(

And the bugfixes look so nice, too ...
(especially since importing an old for dodges the world gen issues)

Here's to hoping for the return of Windows 2000 support, but I don't really expect it to happen.  Guess I get to explore 31.12 in great detail :p

Yeah, I miss W2k too. I gave it up about a year ago, although I'd still be using it given the choice. Best OS ever. :(

Since then I've changed to Ubuntu, since it's free and there's no way in hell I'm paying to inflict Vista or Windows 7 on myself. I've seen the hell it's put family members through.

If you decide to give Linux a go, remember you don't even have to install it on your hard drive to try. You can run Ubuntu from the Live-CD as long as you have 1GB of RAM.

If you've got less than that, you could give Xubutu a go, which I think can run on as little as 192MB of RAM.

Err... I cant agree with you about Win7 =)
Its pretty fine OS for Microsoft offspring! =) and its fast too. Well, not as much as Linux, but what "the hell it's put family members through" you are talking about??
The only hell it gave me - InstallDVD was glitching and refused to start the installation.
Oh! And majority of modern games is Win7 oriented - its kinda important for me. =)
Maybe i`ll install Linux as second OS with only purpose of running DF, but not as primary OS.

Honestly I've never had a single problem with Vista either, other than getting Windows 95/98 games to work on it and having to run pretty much everthing in administrator and compatibility mode. Other than Windows 7 which is clearly superior(but not worth the upgrade to me) it's by far my favorite MS OS.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:50 am »

I guess I got lucky when the first world I genned had exactly what I wanted as an embarkable area?
Or perhaps finder only considers the ones which are ok, which might be a useful workaround for those having difficulties.

I am only seeing 80fps with 21 dwarves, where typical was >100fps (starts at 200) and it took more like 50 to make a dent in fps on .12.  But it could be map dependent, one sample is insufficient to make a judgment.  It dropped upon breaching the underworld, so I thought maybe it was critters, but the unit list shows nothing down there.  No running water, and don't have the dfhack yet to check for a magma waterfall.

On those asking the Win2K user why s/he doesn't upgrade, I'd guess not a powerful enough computer.  You can't get XP any more, and Vista/7 have pretty high hardware requirements.  And some Windows users are not ready for the challenge fun of linux.  Most people who hate Vista were already Windows experts (or at least comfortable) to begin with, and some of the "features" are really annoying if you're used to being able to do anything you want to your own computer.  Win7 is a little better, but there are still files and directories I can't look at.  Not acceptable behavior in an OS.  But if you want existing programs to be guaranteed to work...

It would not make sense to require 64 bit, since likely half of the user base or more are on 32 bit machines.  Memory usage is always a case of getting it to work, and then optimizing it.  I think you'll see a pattern that when a feature is added memory usage will spike, and then maybe it will go down with maturity.  Also being frugal with memory might result in less efficient processing, which leads to lower FPS.  Some things might be a byte where a bit will do or a word instead of a byte, but all that bit testing / shifting / and/or logic adds CPU.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2010, 12:02:10 pm »

You can't get XP any more

robolee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:01 pm »

God damnit, why such a bad true type font? It's the one think that frustrates me most, when a game uses a totally generic font that looks like crap and should only be used in text editors.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:40 pm »

the genericer the font, the better.

prime is readability. all else is secondary.

be that as it may, I prefer Dejavu sans

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »

I actually switched mine to DejaVu Sans Mono it lacks the serifs on all the other letters but keeps them on cap I, and also is mono space.

Also I hope he can strike a balance with the fortress and adventure modes without having to seperate them out into two games,  I liked the possible arc of taking a dwarf from your fort and switching to adventure mode to expand your empire... and all that.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

Toady be a hero and tell us what the memory vectors are so we can use dwarf therapist
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22