Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Anyone else get mocked by their wife over DF?  (Read 5812 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get mocked by their wife over DF?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:23 am »

I am surprised at the amount of married people on here. Isn't everyone who plays DF an unsocial loser? :p
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:46:43 am »

The wife now takes great pleasure in telling her friends, all, her friends, what exactly it is I do in my spare time and she manages to make it sound really, really bad.. :|

Anyone else have an unsympathetic wife?

That is not constructive behaviour, it is destructive. And I think you'll be due for a divorce in a few years.

Spouses openly putting down their hubbies in social circles is never a good sign as it builds up animosity towards you and acts as preparatory buildup to dump you because of who and what you are. I think you should dump that woman if she clearly can't love you as you are or learn to be more constructive in her attempts to shape you.

Mocking you because of a computer game, that requires a lot of intellect to play in the first place, is stupid. That your wife is doing it, is a sign of a doomed marriage. You should prepare yourself emotionally.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

jei: I think you're jumping to conclusions. All you're going by is what the guy said in a single message on a forum. You can't have enough confidence in what he said, never mind your own interpretation of things, to say the things you're saying. For all you know, she's just engaging in a bit of playful ribbing and he's not comfortable with it - which is still bad, but not necessarily as super-serious as you think. Yeah, it deserves examination, but it's not necessarily her being some kind of evil harpy-witch. There's no way we have a totally complete and objective understanding of the situation here.

a computer game, that requires a lot of intellect to play in the first place

I honestly don't believe this. It just requires a bit of figuring out. Plenty of Dwarf Fortress players are fairly dimwitted, just like anything else in life, although they seem to trend a bit towards asocial intellectual types.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 11:58:49 am »

mine refers to it as " are you playing with your gnomes?"... she cant talk with her social park obsession.

a user on here who's name escapes me had his wife refer to it as "midget hideout".

This is a blank sig.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »

jei: I think you're jumping to conclusions. All you're going by is what the guy said in a single message on a forum. You can't have enough confidence in what he said, never mind your own interpretation of things, to say the things you're saying. For all you know, she's just engaging in a bit of playful ribbing and he's not comfortable with it - which is still bad, but not necessarily as super-serious as you think. Yeah, it deserves examination, but it's not necessarily her being some kind of evil harpy-witch. There's no way we have a totally complete and objective understanding of the situation here.

Hopefully so, and like you say, we don't really understand the situation or how this is done. But I've seen this "putting down your spouse" -syndrome a few times before in my circles and it has never been a good sign.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »

... I've seen this "putting down your spouse" -syndrome a few times before in my circles and it has never been a good sign.

I kinda have to agree with this statement here.  Any relationship where one member is deriving pleasure from belittling the other, is not healthy.

On the other hand, some people thrive in that sort of position, and maybe it is just their way of getting along, who knows  ;)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:20 pm »

... I've seen this "putting down your spouse" -syndrome a few times before in my circles and it has never been a good sign.

I kinda have to agree with this statement here.  Any relationship where one member is deriving pleasure from belittling the other, is not healthy.

On the other hand, some people thrive in that sort of position, and maybe it is just their way of getting along, who knows  ;)

He doesn't sound too happy about it, though.

...Then again, it's not really any of our business to assume anything about his marriage.

...Buuuut, he did start this thread about it in the first place...

Great, now I'm morally confused and it's all mrbane's wife's fault. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

dpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »

My girlfriend was mildly amused herself when I started splutring out how amazing and rich this game is.. caring for my dwarfs, let them make booze and have them be adopted by kittens...

But she plays a lot of sim city 4 and likes the whole "Sims" frenchise over all, so it was pretty easy to explain it. ;)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »

Yeah, if a spouse gets to demeaning/mockery it can turn really sour really, really fast. My fiance is just really socially "out of it" and sometimes doesn't realize how the things she's saying could be construed.

I try to draw a line. If she makes a joke once or twice, ok; if it starts to be a trend, something she's harping on, I call her out on it with a "hey, I don't make fun of your hobbies" talk. Fortunately we're both very, very geeky, though often about different things (she's more into zombies, I'm more into video games, etc.)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »

Yeah, if a spouse gets to demeaning/mockery it can turn really sour really, really fast. My fiance is just really socially "out of it" and sometimes doesn't realize how the things she's saying could be construed.

I try to draw a line. If she makes a joke once or twice, ok; if it starts to be a trend, something she's harping on, I call her out on it with a "hey, I don't make fun of your hobbies" talk. Fortunately we're both very, very geeky, though often about different things (she's more into zombies, I'm more into video games, etc.)

Your lady should marry my ex, and then you and me should pair up. Zombies to zombies, games to games, apples to apples...
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 01:01:42 pm »

She calls it

"The animal zoo"

because of the music

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 01:06:49 pm »

I'm afraid I'm forced to agree with the general consensus about mrbane's wife. She's got no right to belittle anyone for how they choose to spend their free time, let alone her husband. And Chromasphere's example isn't a lot better.

If your significant other can't accept you for who you are, find one who can.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »

Stop it people. You're all nuts.
Get your own wives to worry about.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

My GF looked at me like I had a third eye the first time I tried to describe it. Now though, she gets dorfed when I create new forts and she gets pissed when her dorf dies.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

drayab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »

I got in trouble once because I went to go check on my dorfs when I was supposed to be washing the dishes...

She threatened to throw my dinner in the trash.

/whipsnap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5