Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5496 5497 [5498] 5499 5500 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13455056 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82455 on: August 01, 2015, 08:13:15 pm »

Greatorder. You're wrong. *smack*

...Although I suppose we can't blame the fapmaster for throwing books away once they're covered in a crust of dried jizz...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #82456 on: August 01, 2015, 08:15:11 pm »

I know Pratchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things.)
They built up a psychological block to the stuff, not a tolerance.  Otherwise it wouldn't've gone away when Granny Weatherwax happened.  Which would have been bad.

What. No way it was all headology. I thought it was actually a blood thing.
But I'll admit I haven't read Carpe jugulum in a while. All this is basically off the wiki.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

==Books==
I do not think you should throw away books.  Heck, I have an old, probably-moldy, book that I can't even find on Amazon that I read.  It's at least a generation old.
Maybe you should spoiler that? I'm reading Pratchett books at the moment, though haven't got to that yet so I don't know if it's really spoiler worthy or something that's common knowledge from the start.

As for throwing away books: No, never. I invest too much in all my books. Someone once stole a set of my favourite books when I was in ... second year, I think. My mum offered to buy them for me, but I didn't want them rebought, I wanted my ones and was pretty upset about it. I got them back, thankfully, but I could never get rid of any of my books.

Granted, because of this the room I have left for actually keeping other stuff like clothes is steadily decreasing, since I no longer use the library.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82457 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »

I know Pratchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things.)
They built up a psychological block to the stuff, not a tolerance.  Otherwise it wouldn't've gone away when Granny Weatherwax happened.  Which would have been bad.

What. No way it was all headology. I thought it was actually a blood thing.
But I'll admit I haven't read Carpe jugulum in a while. All this is basically off the wiki.
If I recall correctly, Granny Weatherwax put her self into her blood, and that infiltrated the vampires.  Then she refused to turn.  Which somehow undid their built-up resistances, so one must assume that it was in fact a psychological refusal to react.

==Books==
I do not think you should throw away books.  Heck, I have an old, probably-moldy, book that I can't even find on Amazon that I read.  It's at least a generation old.

The Vampires resistances were all psychological, they reduced holy symbols to their component shapes, garlic to just another plant and so on. When Weatherwax managed to sneak a bit of herself into them her psychology took over and she knew vampires should be hurt by holy symbols and so on even if they had convinced themselves otherwise.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82458 on: August 01, 2015, 08:27:23 pm »

I like treating books as artifacts.  I have a treasured collection of books I read and enjoyed, and several (mostly technical books) I very occasionally refer to or flip through.  It's mostly just for show, ritual, and nostalgia though.  There are easier ways to learn things, and I read just fine on my phone (particularly in the dark).  Also I can't smell which apparently makes a difference.

As long as a book is digitally recorded somewhere, I'm okay with it being... destroyed...  I'd just really rather not actually observe that, come to think of it.  And I have been slowly passing treasured books to my cousins as they grow up, which feels great.  Dog-eared hand-me-down sci-fi anthologies and fantasy novels were, like, my favorite thing growing up.  More than video games.  Helps that I didn't have a portable game system, but even now I always pick a silly novel from my collection on trips.  Even though I have ebooks and a couple less-crappy mobile games.

Actually hell, that reminds me I have an ebook series I really meant to read.  Cool.

Fakedit: You monster, now I miss my cat :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82459 on: August 01, 2015, 08:35:41 pm »

==Books==

It really depends on the book. Honestly, my gut is with Gunner-Chan on this one, if only because I was raised by a family of bookworms. I learned early that you just don't. Wreck. Books. It was just not done. It didn't matter if the books were old or new, good or bad. You just didn't. Books are for passing down through the generations, either to your descendants or donated to a school or library. Not for destruction, even if they're going to be made into something else later.

I'm still confused about the massive attachment some people have to books, though.

Reading a different copy of a book then the one you're used to is highly disorienting, especially if its a newer printing of an old book. The font, the font size, the thickness of the book or the composition of the cover, if different between copies, all feel WRONG somehow, unsuited to the story they're telling. The colour of the pages and the scent of the book being different can also cause that cognitive dissonance. Its a bunch of little things that seem off and distract you from the story itself. It'd be different if I lost a book immediately after buying it, because I wouldn't have had time to accustomize myself to it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82460 on: August 01, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »

Old books almost always have important knowledge of the past. And if you're done with a book, why the sod would you even recycle it? Just give it to someone who'll use it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #82461 on: August 01, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »

I'm also going to add that blue and orange morality is likely something at play here.

In most cases Gunner-chan is far more likely to empathize with an inanimate object or machine, or a computer than other people. She's really used to people ultimately leading to her getting hurt so I can't really blame her.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82462 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »

I guess I'm a bit of a heretic here but I think each person should treat books as objects imbued with the sentimental and otherwise inherent value that person in particular attaches to them. Which is to say, it's your property, do what you want with it. I'm gonna keep my books, even if I never read them again. I like them.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82463 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:24 pm »

I think a coworker just offered me sex. I mean, not in a harassing way, but we're pretty much strangers. And she's pregnant by her boyfriend, so there's that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #82464 on: August 01, 2015, 09:00:52 pm »

... Doesn't that just make it two for one? Gotta get padding those dick stats.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #82465 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

sounds like a winner to me

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82466 on: August 01, 2015, 09:03:32 pm »

It's only logical, she can't get pregnant at the moment.  Which means it's practically not cheating, amiright? /s
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #82467 on: August 01, 2015, 09:04:15 pm »

meep
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:55:58 pm by Dutchling »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82468 on: August 01, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »

... Doesn't that just make it two for one? Gotta get padding those dick stats.
Congratulations this is the most disgusting thing I've seen/heard all month.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82469 on: August 01, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »

My mom spoke with a friend of hers, and checked the notes they keep on the lying coworker bitch. It's pretty much a weekly thing.

Friend drives coworker around almost every day. Coworker complained about traffic; claimed it was because of carpoolers. Unironically started ranting about people who ride with others being leeches and scum.

My mom caught coworker going through her purse. Multiple times. The bitch has also recently started asking suspicious questions, such as my mother's mother's maiden name.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:20:33 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: 1 ... 5496 5497 [5498] 5499 5500 ... 10989