Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5911 5912 [5913] 5914 5915 ... 10993

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13519615 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88680 on: October 28, 2015, 03:55:46 am »

Do you mean the idea of cultural appropriation being bad, or the actual act of cultural appropriation?
From the context, I'm assuming the thing itself, in the sense of taking little snippets of culture and warping them into something wholly different.

Like, take Chinese restaurants in the U.S. Those are an excellent example: the food, decor, &c. are allegedly Chinese, but everything about those places is essentially an American creation which vaguely apes Chinese culture.

That's not to say that that's the only sort of cultural appropriation, just that the negative stuff is what tends to be referred to. On the same subject (appreciation for foreign food), take as an example a Thai restaurant in my city. It's out in a crappy neighborhood (in a dead strip mall with a coin-op laundry on one side and an empty storefront on the other), owned and operated by a family of Thai immigrants, and it's heavily patronized by people from all over the city, mostly 'cause the food's great, they use actual spices instead of those fucking dried red pepper flakes, and the old guy who runs it is an excellent dude. If you applied the same standards to that that this crowd does to other things which have been "culturally appropriated", it's wrong for anyone who isn't Thai to eat there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88681 on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:38 am »

The phrase "cultural appropriation" sounds really pretentious.

Because it originally was invented as a way to say "Stealing from a culture" but make it sound sophisticated instead of silly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88682 on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:57 am »

So, apparently while I was at work, there was a wreck on the highway leading up there with like 12 or 13 cars or something, which has two things about it.

First, I forgot my boots and we had to go back when we first left, had I not forgotten my boots, my mother probably would have ended up in the middle of it after dropping me off.

Second, apparently a semi-truck caught fire. Like, it seems to have just burst into flames.

You don't live on Long Island, do you? I think something similar happened near where I work yesterday. Fortunately, it happened out of the way though the redirected traffic did make getting home slow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88684 on: October 28, 2015, 05:30:19 am »

So, apparently while I was at work, there was a wreck on the highway leading up there with like 12 or 13 cars or something, which has two things about it.

First, I forgot my boots and we had to go back when we first left, had I not forgotten my boots, my mother probably would have ended up in the middle of it after dropping me off.

Second, apparently a semi-truck caught fire. Like, it seems to have just burst into flames.

You don't live on Long Island, do you? I think something similar happened near where I work yesterday. Fortunately, it happened out of the way though the redirected traffic did make getting home slow.
No, I live in Tennessee so I'm quite a ways away. It doesn't seem like anybody was killed, at least. As far as I know.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88685 on: October 28, 2015, 05:45:51 am »

Google autocomplete brought me to this during legitimate scholarly research as to average number of hours spent driving.

I genuinely fail to even.
think of it in terms of what the units are in:
horns on a unicorn is unitless (just 1)
teaspoons are m^3 (volume)
acres are m^2 (area)
lightyears are m (length)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88687 on: October 28, 2015, 06:33:24 am »

Tried to call in sick. I get an automated system:

"To talk to a store associate, press 1. For store hours, press 2."

*presses 1*

"Store hours are..."

And no, I did not accidentally press 2. I called again to make sure.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88688 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:48 am »

Try pressing 2 intentionally, maybe they've switched them around for a communist corporate reason and forgot to change the voice message.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88689 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:26 am »

Pressed 2, and all I got was a sales pitch for the store's club card.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #88690 on: October 28, 2015, 06:41:52 am »

I think there's some confusion here between cultural melting-pottyness and absorption and cultural appropriation. Cultures mixing is automatic and natural, although it can sometimes be sad, and will always happen on both individual and societal levels. It is not inherently either good or bad, rather whether it is depends wholly on the value of what's being spread.

Cultural appropriation, however, is however culture spreading by one group taking something from another and not acknowledging where it came from or denying the first group any part of it. A good example is American music businesses taking music written by black people and giving it to white musicians without due credit. A very closely related concept is so called "cultural whitewashing" or the sequential removing of black people from a concept. To stay with the music examples, country music is today seen as "white people music" in the US, while around a hundred years ago it was very much music by and for both black and white people of the south. As it gained in popularity, particularly with the more "refined" classes, black artists found it increasingly hard to remain part of the scene.

So yeah, in my mind, cultural appropriation has inherently negative connotations, because as I have understood it is culture exchange but through bad means.
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88691 on: October 28, 2015, 06:44:28 am »

Pressed 2, and all I got was a sales pitch for the store's club card.
Try three?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88692 on: October 28, 2015, 06:46:17 am »

Oh, oh! Try pressing zero!
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88693 on: October 28, 2015, 06:49:59 am »

Pressing three gives a different phone directory that was given at the end of the other options. Zero actually did get the front desk.

You'd think they'd actually give that option.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88694 on: October 28, 2015, 07:04:44 am »

Pressing three gives a different phone directory that was given at the end of the other options. Zero actually did get the front desk.

You'd think they'd actually give that option.
But then they'd have to talk to the customers! And that's terrible!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 5911 5912 [5913] 5914 5915 ... 10993