Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1563 1564 [1565] 1566 1567 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2302535 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23460 on: August 06, 2023, 09:04:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't died yet, but I won't be able to face the boss this run without dying. I set up 2 villages around a bend right before the camp, so 3 wheat fields cover both sides of each village for maximum healing. Then I added a vampire mansion so they would take over the towns, giving me more loot early and then bigger healing shortly before I face the boss. Then, I put in a road lantern so I wouldn't need to face fights with a lot of vampire enemies.

And that's how I learned road lanterns also prevent vampires from taking your villages.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23461 on: August 10, 2023, 12:27:17 pm »

I keep getting my butt kicked by mobs of xenomorphs in Aliens: Dark Descent.

Overall I think the game does a decent job with combat balance and trying to encourage you to stay undetected, since combat just gets harder and harder the more times you get detected.  However, sometimes going undetected is just too difficult or random, and sometimes the game just kicks you in the balls randomly with combat encounters.

More than once I've just completed a hard combat encounter, only to run into a room to try to avoid being spotted again and bumble into a drone crawling out of a spawn point, or a cluster of eggs.  Then I've got another combat starting, no chance to recover from stress, and "A Massive Onslaught is Approaching!".  Since I'm now busy shooting 2-3 more drones or a mob of facehuggers, I have no time to set up mines or sentry guns.  Oh, and "There's a crusher around!"

I really try to play ironman in games like this, but I gave up on it in this game in like mission 3.  Partially because some triggers are buggy and you'll get stuck in permanent combat encounters, or messages play at the wrong time, like the time it told me to pick up a datapad that was on a different level of a facility I hadn't even visited yet but implied it was at my marine's feet.  I died 3 times trying to figure out where the heck it was.  But mostly because the game rolls dice, decides this combat encounter is going to kill you, and that's that.

It also bugs me a little that the enemies are very damage spongey.  Some of that may be from my experience with the FPS games where xenomorphs die from one good burst from pulse rifles like in Aliens, but in this game it is very hard to kill a charging xenomorph before it can reach your marines and hurt one, even if four of them are hosing it down.  Never mind if several are attacking.  Shotgun blasts can save you, but it feels weird that shotguns are so much more useful than futuristic assault rifles with explosive ammo.

But hey, after dying 3 times in a room of eggs because grenading them alerts the hive, I finally learned that the flamer can destroy them without attracting attention.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23462 on: August 11, 2023, 09:16:17 am »

Went from Awake to dead in record time. I'm not having a good day.

Receiver 2
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23463 on: August 12, 2023, 09:10:18 am »

I'm trying to figure out how to play the rogue in Loop Hero. I made 2 spider nests, because they're easy to kill. I had about a dozen suburbs (+1 xp) built, and a similar number of both thickets and blooming meadows. Then I converted a single village (the only one I had seen) after I had passed it on that loop so I only had to kill the 5 enemies twice.

5 potions used, and I killed 2 ghouls before both dying and gaining a level. I seem to be able to consistently 2-shot most enemies, but can't possibly attack fast enough to handle more than 3 without getting hit too much.

Not being able to handle a lot of enemies means I get fewer cards, so there are fewer opportunities to gain xp and loot, so I can't keep up with enemy difficulty increasing each loop. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23464 on: August 12, 2023, 09:45:30 am »

On my various run it seems Evasion seems to be the most important for the rogue, so make sure to look for it on your item bonus. It's also the class i always got the most Evasion in the end, more than Warrior or Necromancer.

Forest is a good thing to have in your decks as forest improve the attack speed, meaning they can help in some situation in which your character is not killing enemies fast enough, and because Rogue always have some vampirism, higher attack speed = more healing coming your way.

And make sure you always get better weapons, from what i read loop difficulty can improve faster than you want, so keeping an old weapon because it has some nice bonus may lead to being unable to kill enemies fast enough, and so it's usually a better idea to always be using the most damaging weapon even if it does not have as good bonus.

The gold card "Arsenal" seems to be fitting the Rogue class the best, even despite it lowers your item quality by 15%, because it unlock the Rogue amulet slot, and that slot will allow the Rogue to get a magic shield that regenerate to full between each fight and will then allow you to delay when you'll start to take damage.
Basically a must for the Rogue
Arsenal may be less good for the Warrior

Also i ceased to turn villages into vampire/ghoul ones as i found on some loops it could become much harder than it was in early loops. Spider Lair and Groves seems to be more managable for populated tiles with adding a vampire or better a temporal beacon (that can spawn a time watcher, that by itself is a source of material for rare orbs you'll need at some point to build or upgrade more building)

Recommended to make the most populated places all around the campfire to benefit from all the watchtower (4 max) you build in your town between run, also good idea to improve those watchtowers as getting 2 ranges is allowing to make more very populated tiles while benefiting from the support fire.
And once you can improve the watchtowers more it become even better as a level 6 tower (good luck for the materials though) can support you up to 4 tiles from the campfire, allowing to grind lots of very populated tiles without the danger of being alone.
Also outposts are useful to have as they provide a helper guard in the fight on the tiles affected, unless you're a necromancer and the guard will then fight against you.

When playing the necromancer, people recommend to basically ignore the +summon quality bonus on an item and always prioritize the +skeletong level ones because of the loops difficulty increase you always need to have higher skeleton levels as lower level high quality undead would just be trashed after a while without delivering enough damage.
basically summon quality is better in early loops as the higher tier undead will kill faster but in later loop summon quality will lose in damage dealing/resilience to the skeleton levels.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 09:51:55 am by Robsoie »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23465 on: August 12, 2023, 10:42:10 am »

I'm trying to figure out how to play the rogue in Loop Hero. I made 2 spider nests, because they're easy to kill. I had about a dozen suburbs (+1 xp) built, and a similar number of both thickets and blooming meadows. Then I converted a single village (the only one I had seen) after I had passed it on that loop so I only had to kill the 5 enemies twice.

5 potions used, and I killed 2 ghouls before both dying and gaining a level. I seem to be able to consistently 2-shot most enemies, but can't possibly attack fast enough to handle more than 3 without getting hit too much.

Not being able to handle a lot of enemies means I get fewer cards, so there are fewer opportunities to gain xp and loot, so I can't keep up with enemy difficulty increasing each loop. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.
High evasion and attack speed (but not too high). Again, once you have the cards, rivers forests and deserts are great. Desert next to river reduces player and monster speed, forest raises player speed, river doubles the effects of adjacent tiles. You get a good system you're attacking maybe 3-4x faster than normal and the enemies are barely hitting. Then just equip anything that raises evasion (So long as it doesn't cripple every other stat). IIRC evasion does cap out, can't recall the value though, so if you hit the cap you can swap out some items.

Like Rob said, the Arsenal is *the* best gold card. For every class, really. Also if you get it, the level up skill which thirds your loot from trophies but gives you higher level loot is great. I'd disagree with not turning villages into vampire lands, it's good to do that early as possible though. After a few loops it become untenable.

Also your campfire should have two watchtowers adjacent, they'll help with the boss a bit. Even absorbing a couple of hits is better than absorbing none.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23466 on: August 12, 2023, 12:31:56 pm »

The arsenal 15% quality malus to item may become a problem in long run (i mean if you want to make a lot more loops after beating a boss to gather more materials/achievements and etc...) due to how difficulty increase in each loop, on very long run those 15%  start to mean rather big numbers lost on items so sometime those 15% may mean the difference between reaching the camp and getting killed.

A note about another gold card  : the "ancestral crypt", its malus is removing the max HP bonus from armor, it's a very big malus actually unless you're going for very long run, on normal run you'll very likely never kill enough soul-filled creatures (especially as one of the best target, the spider, has no soul) to compensate for the loss of HP bonus of high level armor.
But for the necromancer class this malus does not exist at all because that's the only class that do not have access to an armor slot.

I'm unsure about the usefullness of the gold card "maze of memories" : it allows to put a massive building that will increase the boss spawn gauge a lot (same as if you had put down 37 tiles already), so it is meant to get an earlier boss battle (boss like any creature has its stats affected by the amount of loops) than usual, but as it has no other bonus it is probably useless if you want to make more loops after beating a boss.

The "zero milestone" gold card may be super useful for when you want to make material collections by packing as much very populated tiles as possible next to each other and adding the zero milestone card nearby, as it will seriously reduce the stats of any monsters close to it (but will increase the stats of monsters away from it) making such run easier.

But note there's a very rare enemy called the Prime Matter (that is the ghost of a "ghost of a ghost" that is itself a ghost of "ghost" that itself is a ghost of a soul-filled creature) than can drop random cards even if it's a card that you have not selected to be on your deck, meaning you can actually get multiple gold cards if you're lucky
That enemy can only be spawned by playing at least in chapter 2, a good way to have some chance to spawn one (still low chance) is to have a grove (ratwolves have souls) in the area of a battlefield (so a dying creature has 20% of becoming a ghost) + a vampire manor area (as it has a soul and can spawn along the ratwolves in the grove)
Do not attach a blood grove to the grove because as it automatically eat enemies with 15% health of less, it will not give it a chance to make a ghost.

Also important to know that the Prime Matter 6th attack will deal absurd level of damage to sure kill your character, so if you've not been lucky to have good loots that allow to fast kill such thing, that could be a problem (oh and the monster has an ability that give 33% of chance of your attack to only deal 1 damage instead of full damage)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 12:34:26 pm by Robsoie »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23467 on: August 13, 2023, 01:05:42 am »

Oh yes, that's another one. Put a blood grove in range of your camp. They eat bosses.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23468 on: August 13, 2023, 03:01:53 pm »

Did a bunch of semi-difficult platforming, picked up a very useful upgrade, then a closing door glitched me into the level geometry, forcing a reload.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #23469 on: August 13, 2023, 07:37:57 pm »

Deathrite Bird flattened me a few times over in the Forbidden Lands in Elden Ring.
Such a ridiculous boss; the lingering AoE fucking over Torrent vs. the crouched posture making it hard to fight up close, the grab attack that has ridiculous range, does about 75% of my 45-Vigor character’s health and is barely telegraphed, the leaping away after a combo so you can only land one hit afterwards… So dumb.
But it felt very satisfying to finally beat with a nice stance break, especially without any summons.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23470 on: August 25, 2023, 06:33:20 pm »

Found one of the most terrible boss fights ever designed. A tanky boss, with infinitely(and almost instantly) respawning minions that are also tanky, fast, and charge into melee. The fact that they are melee is probably the least terrible thing about them, because imagine if they had guns. Their sole reason to exist is to kill them to refill ammo... which requires killing them in melee. Oh, and one of the boss' attacks is a mortar attack that can hit them, possibly weakening them for you. Or killing them to deny you the ammo refill, which by the way is also randomized and is more often than not for a weapon you're not using. There's also a very small chance of a medkit dropping, which are vital in this fight.

Also, the boss runs away when you try to get close. The range for this is bigger than the range for the default, unlimited-ammo pistol. After a certain point, he begins dropping explosive barrels as mines as he runs. Late in the fight, these barrels then transform into nigh-undodgable homing missiles that can also pass through obstacles(perhaps the first such projectile in the game). I think you can shoot them down, but otherwise they will hit you since they turn around for another pass if they miss.

The closest I've gotten was using a combination of the Shock and Flamethrower Turret abilities. The Shock ability's range is just a bit longer than the boss's run-away detection range, and does stun him. It is possible to stun him, drop a flame turret, and retreat before the stun wears off, but you need to stun him before entering his flee range and be out of it before the stun wears off. I almost killed him this way, but I got boxed in by the minions and couldn't move before getting blown away.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23471 on: August 26, 2023, 06:32:08 pm »

That's a really heavy spoiler, ain't it? In short: Gave a promise I couldn't afford to fullfill to most heinous type of human in whole wide world, in the hopes I wouldn't need to. Fulfilled it anyways, despite numerous possibilities of not doing so. Failed to convince them to not take advantage of that. Achievment get: you dun goofed. Didn't matter much in the end, though, because that was right near it.  :P

Stars Arisen
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 06:24:58 am by MCreeper »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #23472 on: August 26, 2023, 10:10:38 pm »

Tried to back up towards a door while fighting some zombies, thinking I would be able to open it from behind
Turns out, I wasn't lined up quite correctly.

In hindsight, maybe just turning around and leaving would've been a better idea.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23473 on: August 29, 2023, 08:07:11 pm »

Lost on the 50th and final wave of Nuclear Production Complex, because the boss flew around my defensive line, going straight for my thorium reactor complex. While that was defended by a couple dozen Scatters loaded with lead, they did fuck-all to it. Even hastily-built Salvo turrets using the thorium fuel as ammo didn't even slow it down. The only other kind of force I had was the Mega drones mining titanium, which all were wiped out in seconds. Honestly, I don't even think the main defensive line could have held it back.

This map took a couple of days to reach the end of.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23474 on: August 31, 2023, 10:52:23 pm »

Managed to get to sector 8 in very good nick: fully upgraded shield, engines, and reactor, an Ion Blast II that you start of with plus an Ion Stunner and a Hull Beam, as well as two drones(one combat, one beam), and enough scrap leftover to fully upgrade my sensors, doors, and pilot… though I didn’t do the latter because I had an elite pilot, as well as elite Engi engineer, Engi weapons officer, and Human shield officer (who doubled as security) plus one spare Engi to send out for repairing and shooting.

Got through the first two phases of the Rebel flagship fine, only taking a single point of damage in the second phase.

Third phase though… I’m playing in advanced mode and had never got to this point before so didn’t know they had a mind control system.

First they took over my weapons officer, who was blasting away for a bit until they got a lucky shot on the weapons system which basically took it all out, while teleporting guys in on top of that. This meant I was unable to deal with the flagship’s shields.

I was in the process of dealing with all of that as the initial mind control wore off when they did it again… to my pilot. This meant every single shot got through and made pretty short work of my ship… so I regretted a lot not upgrading my pilot system after that.

In the next run in the same ship, I managed to get a Slug as a reward in sector 1. Mofos are immune to mind control. Guess who immediately became my pilot?

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1563 1564 [1565] 1566 1567 ... 1571