Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621750 times)

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2655 on: January 09, 2015, 10:23:55 pm »

Likely from a conquered goblin civilization.

Didn't knew that could happen (you conquer a civilization then begin to have its population living with you). Cool to know. Thanks (:

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: January 10, 2015, 08:33:10 pm »

Quick question(s) about throwing.

First, what does the skill actually affect? Accuracy? Speed? Range?

Second, how much time does throwing something take? And what factors determine throwing speed?

It seems every time I throw something, even at someone 4 tiles away; they will catch up to me and hit at least once before I can do anything else

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »

The skill covers acc/speed somewhat, range is mostly down to your strength/the mass of the object/if there is anything keeping it from following a parabolic arc.

I can chuck goblin heads from the ground up over the fortifications and land them near the hatch in the little minitowers around dark pits/fortresses, can also chuck em straight through the fortifications, and that can be done with pretty much anybody with above average or higher strength, accuracy just means you can pick which goblin you wanna hit out of the crowd, which comes with skill, and whether or not it clunks them in the leg or gets lodged in their head.

Throwing small light objects is really fast turnwise, faster than any crossbow shot I've fired, trying to huck a platinum slab at someone... well, it's not gonna go far anyways, but they're gonna come slap you around while you're heaving it for sure.

Try coins, grab a bunch of copper off someone and go plink random animals with them, makes me want to mod in a slingshot actually.

Btw, gobs being in other civs isn't always due to capture, sometimes they join the military, kick ass during battles, demonstrate valor and such, and move up the ranks. Same happened with Cacame, remember.

Honestly after playing a few goblin adventurers now they moved way up my list compared to elves, I mean yeah, I can't figure out how to interact with gobs from a different civ outside of me saying "let's not fight, it's cool" and them saying "AAAAAAHHHHHH, oh, ok, sure, how are you? AAAAHHHHHH, really, that's fasci-" and then they run around a corner or something.

Only problem I have with gobs now is the constant lag due to all the chaos in the fortresses from various trolls and various gobs running around murdering each other, which is hilarious, really, but dammit it's hard to move around and find people to get info from/check for usable gear.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: January 13, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »

I returned to my home hamlet but I can't find the leader to turn in a quest. How do I find him? Or find the feast hall?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:28 pm »

ask for directions to him.
  He'll likely be in the civic mound, castle mound,  keep, villa, etc
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: January 13, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »

ask for directions to him.
  He'll likely be in the civic mound, castle mound,  keep, villa, etc

That's the thing. I can't ask for directions. He doesn't show up as an option in any of the direction menus

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:28 pm »

report your success to anyone.  word  will spread to him.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: January 13, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »

report your success to anyone.  word  will spread to him.

Okay, how do I do THAT then? Because bragging about past violent acts just says something about something I never did.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: January 13, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »

Summarize event
PKs DF Mod!

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: January 14, 2015, 03:51:52 am »

So I've been gone from Adventure mode and DF in general since a little after the huge update (40.01 I think). Whatever added minecarts and wheelbarrows.

I'm trying to start up a new set of adventures. However, I have a number of problems:

-There seem to be no forts. If I get spawned with a silver short sword I'm more or less boned, now. Not only can I not improve my weapon, it also seems more or less impossible to find armor either.
-In relation to the above note, all catacombs appear to be completely barren now. Every time I check under a castle there's nothing but endless blank halls. No enemies to loot or fight, no gear on the ground to pick up.
-There seems to be nothing quest-wise except quests to kill titans, colossi, and rocs. Naturally, a freshly minted Hero with clothing and a crappy sword can't very well take on a ten story tall bronze behemoth without quickly becoming a freshly minted red splotch on the ground. I hear peasants talking amongst themselves about bandit camps, but every time I try to ask them about troubles I get a "Well... we've got beasts" quest. How am I supposed to find bandit camps to help train up my character and earn him renown?
-On that subject, every time I get a quest they tell me to "find this person, they are well traveled." but give me no indication of where I should actually go past a vague city name.
-Finally, even the times when I've given up and tried to die in a glorious rampage I haven't been able to because the AI seems to be completely borked. I can systematically murder every peasant in a house, with the rest of them calmly standing around talking about "such violence" and "the horrors of death surround us. I must remain strong." until I turn on them, at which point they finally individually fight back. I mean, I'm not saying this is necessarily less realistic than every single peasant in the village leaping on you in a murderous carving-knife-wielding mob, but at least a few ganging up or running away is what should happen, no?

So, the gist of my post is, is there any way to set up world gen so it spawns forts and if not, how the hell do I get gear? Also how to I find bandit camps/get quests to bandit camps/find the person who tells me how to get to bandit camps. Finally, why won't the peasants just kill me in a glorious bloodbath instead of letting me strike them down one by one?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: January 14, 2015, 04:43:34 am »

Make sure you have "Playable civ required" on for dorfs, bump the civilizations number up a bit and bump the overall and site cap populations up.

The npcs tend to be kinda passive in that they don't really seem to be able to think fast enough to deal with you zooming around step by step.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: January 15, 2015, 07:10:13 am »

Well I managed to figure out that it's because now forts appear to be integrated into towns rather than in the wilderness. My adventurers can get outfitted now. I also found some bandit camps filled with goblins, but all the goblins there were friendly to my (human) adventurer, making them easy pickings. In addition, despite killing the captain I can still only get two followers.

I'm guessing this is just an overall issue with the release? I haven't modded any files outside of init and d_init

Also, new question: When opponents move into me via dodging or something in combat, I automatically go to ground without any chance for input. If this happens while I'm being attacked it can lead to my death more often than not, since I then have to scramble out of the occupied tile (as I can't stand up with someone there), which procs about four hits from the attacker en route, and then after that I have to spend a few ticks actually standing if I'm not dead or crippled. Is this some preference I need to change or is it automatic (which would be terrible)?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:27 am »

Automatic as far as I know, I recommend blocking and cutting a foot, so that you can stand up.
In a time before time, I had a name.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: January 19, 2015, 02:52:44 pm »

Does an adventurer ever die of old age, can that happen while you play him? [:

(Yes, I calculated that when you take 5 minutes per day and your adventurer would live for another 80 years, assuming he's a dwarf I'd guess, you need to play that adventurer for a theoretical ~94 days (spend ingame). I still would love to know if that is possible or not - theoretically.)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: January 19, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »

Does an adventurer ever die of old age, can that happen while you play him? [:

(Yes, I calculated that when you take 10 minutes per day and your adventurer would live for another 80 years, assuming he's a dwarf I'd guess, you need to play that adventurer for a theoretical 187 days (spend ingame). I still would love to know if that is possible or not - theoretically.)
Yup.  They can die of old age.  People have reported seeing NPCs die of old age while fighting them, and also reported have their (unretired) character die of old age 1 click after starting.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 327