Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621956 times)

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #750 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:59 pm »

you need the slab,that is correct. also reading doesn't get xp at all no matter what, the only way to aquire or increase the skill is during chargen.
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 30, 2012, 06:40:38 pm »

I haven't done it myself yet, but I've heard that to learn necromancy you have to read a stone slab, not a book. Maybe try looking for one in the tower?
you need the slab,that is correct. also reading doesn't get xp at all no matter what, the only way to aquire or increase the skill is during chargen.
Darn. Guess it's time to retire with the humans and check legends for the slab's name. Thank you.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »

I learned the secrets of life and death from a book.  Maybe you cannot learn them if you are already immortal?  No, I was a vamp before I learned them.  hmmm.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:32 am »

I learned the secrets of life and death from a book.  Maybe you cannot learn them if you are already immortal?  No, I was a vamp before I learned them.  hmmm.
Going through legends it seems the Satyr did learn the secrets of life and death from one of the books...he just can't use it for some bizarre reason and zombies still hate him. I'm building a library/armory to make it easier to see if any future adventurers have the same problem.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:10 am »

Immortal creatures like elves or goblins (or satyrs) can't learn the secrets. Vampires or werebeasts can, though.
The books about life and death will work if you play as a mortal species.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 08, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

Not sure if this belongs in the Modding thread...

Is there any way to adjust/modify how often I become hungry / how much I can eat at once?  On my first adventurer since back in 31.25, I have been hungry and thirsty constantly because I simply cannot eat/drink fast enough to keep up with my hunger/thirst, due to the "You are too full" message. 

I like the idea of a hunger/thirst system, but this is ridiculous; I feel that if my adventurer hadn't been mauled by a cougar she surely would have starved to death due to apparently having the metabolism of a hummingbird, with a stomach size to match.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 08, 2012, 11:39:29 am »

I don't know about any modding solutions, but I know that the "You are too full" counter gets reset after fast traveling. That means: eat/drink three times, fast travel a step, eat/drink more.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 08, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »

I don't know about any modding solutions, but I know that the "You are too full" counter gets reset after fast traveling. That means: eat/drink three times, fast travel a step, eat/drink more.

Ah, thanks!  If that works, it would really help with my constant fear of death due to malnourishment despite carrying "Elephant Meat (163)" in my backpack...

With the pace of Adventure mode as it is, I feel it should at least take a day or so of in-game time to cause you to get hungry/thristy, what with all the fast-travelling that goes on etc.  And of course the "Too full to eat, but still hungry" mechanism, while technically possible in certain extreme real-world situations, shouldn't be something that would ever happen in the course gameplay like it does...

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

Actually, the fullness counter is reset after waiting or sleeping using the command for even 1 hour. I hope that helps.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 09, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »

Actually, the fullness counter is reset after waiting or sleeping using the command for even 1 hour. I hope that helps.

Much appreciated!  My adventurer's digestive system thanks you. :D

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:52 am »

Let me clarify a few things about necromancy, as all of my adventurers always attempt to storm the tower.
Being a night creature doesn't mean you cannot be a necromancer, in fact, you might actually want to be a vampire or a werewolf before going in the tower, so the zombies won't attack you and you can just walk right in and stab the necromancer to death.

Of course, elves can't be necromancers, maybe because their hypocritic brain prevent the truth from penetrating their intricate skulls.

Also, if any of you a going to kill a dragon, apart from being a necromancer and spamming zombies on the beast, you should practice throwing by grabbing ton of rocks and keep throwing them until you reach legendary.

There have been a lot of stories about people killing dragons with socks.

Also, socks in Dwarf Fortress are really dangerous objects, and they are probably the best improv weapon apart from body parts.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:32 am »

I found some armour for my adventurer, but he's now moving much slower than before. It makes sense, of course, as he's wearing ~50Ursits of iron instead of ~15Urists of cloth and leather.

My question is how do I speed him back up? Strength? Agility? Should I spend a day swimming to improve his stats? Being hit three or more times between every one of my attack may negate the benefit of having a breastplate in the first place.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:23 am »

Strength helps, agility helps, and wearing armor while attacking or being attacked helps because it increases your armor user skill.

Swimming increases strength and agility, so that's useful. I think your best bet is to wear leather armor and to wrestle some weak animals until your armor user skill - and the useful attributes - are a bit higher.

More information at the wiki.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 15, 2012, 07:43:59 am »

Strength helps, agility helps, and wearing armor while attacking or being attacked helps because it increases your armor user skill.

Swimming increases strength and agility, so that's useful. I think your best bet is to wear leather armor and to wrestle some weak animals until your armor user skill - and the useful attributes - are a bit higher.

More information at the wiki.
Know that layers of cloth and more cloth = armor.  :P Anything wearable is technically armor.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #764 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:39 pm »

I got a quest to kill a "Night Creature" the quest giver said something about it being a blood drinker with a high body count so I assume it's a vampire.  Using the compass task indicator i traveled to a spot on the outskirst of a hamlet. There is nothing here. There are no houses or buildings and no creatures I can find.

All i've got is an area several tiles wide where the direction to "TSK" shows as **** with a river running through the middle of it.

Does anyone know what's going on?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 327