Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622100 times)

mastamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1560 on: November 07, 2013, 04:30:42 am »

how do i solve lagg during ocean swimming?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 07, 2013, 06:04:40 am »

Faster computer, generally. There's not much else you can do. The lag is generated by the waves (Presuming you're near shore), the critters, and, if I'm not mistaken, temperature checks.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

mastamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 07, 2013, 06:12:08 am »

ah oki, i think its the temperature, as it only happens when im out of the coast.

and i managed to get across, just barely, i thank the blood donors XD

ty for the help

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 17, 2013, 04:15:38 am »

If one's adventurer were to have their ears, nose, fingers, and toes smashed open by a wild boar while training wrestling and subsequently infected, which as everyone knows is a death sentence, would this infection be curable by retirement/unretirement?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:24 am »

I think just about everything is.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 17, 2013, 04:23:22 am »

Ah, good. Time to kick back and relax on the corpses of the local nobles/vampire cultists.
Sig! Onol

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 17, 2013, 11:09:20 am »

I'd like to point out that I have never died of infection in adventure mode in DF2012. I've had pus leaking from my ears and toenails (which you can drink to alleviate thirst), and I've even wandered through a "heinous mist" cloud which gave me a Fever, but the only ill effects I have had from illness has been nastier syndromes.

Talking of syndromes - I have a necromancer who after being caught in some nasty evil rain, vomits every few yards, forever. He can't get dehydrated so he just leaves little green pools wherever he goes. And in fort mode, I had a forgotten beast who's blood made two of my militia suddenly fall asleep permanently with their entire body bruised about 6 months after they were exposed... compared to that a broken ear is nothing to worry about! They were fed and watered diligintly by my dwarves for years until a tantrum spiral involving insufficient socks caused them to be brained in their sleep by a demented woodcarver. Par for the course in DF I suppose.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 17, 2013, 01:48:18 pm »

Huh. I've heard rumors, though. I'm searching for a necromancer book anyway, so it'll be good.
Sig! Onol

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 17, 2013, 06:29:50 pm »

Faster computer, generally. There's not much else you can do. The lag is generated by the waves (Presuming you're near shore), the critters, and, if I'm not mistaken, temperature checks.

Lag gets really bad for me when heading into deeper water, to under 10fps and a one-minute lag whenever scrolling over to the next screen. Must be the 100+ z-levels of water requiring (probably) liquid and temperature calculations. I think this type of lag will choke down even pretty fast computers. The solution to this deep lag is to steer clear of the high seas - stay reasonably close to the shore when swimming, take the shortest path possible when crossing a gulf or passing to an island.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »

Lag gets really bad for me when heading into deeper water, to under 10fps and a one-minute lag whenever scrolling over to the next screen. Must be the 100+ z-levels of water requiring (probably) liquid and temperature calculations.
I think it's also due to pathing calculations, much like the massive lag caused when you attempt to reseal the HFS.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pomme3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 20, 2013, 03:36:22 pm »

what's the best way to train armor skill?

Against a small animal that cannot possibly harm you.

Just grab it so it cannot escape and skip turns so it will try and fail (if adequately protected) to attack you.

Like so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though the animal may get a lucky bite in, or something. If you can, see if you can knock its teeth out.

I've tried to do this, but when I wrestled the wild animal at first time I was asked am I sure to attack it?
And after some grab/release series, when I've returned into village, all inhabitants there became unfriendly with me: citizens refused to talk, soldiers started to attack me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: November 20, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »

It wasn't wild.  you attacked an animal of that civilization, who in this version is treated as a full member of that civ.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pomme3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:23 pm »

It was impala, if I remember correctly.

But what animals are counted as wild?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »

I believe all animals who are wild will have that indicated in their name/description.  Also

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Adventurer_mode#How_do_I_keep_my_companions_from_running_off_after_random_wildlife.3F
Animals... either you love them and they love you, or they must die a horrible death right now.

so if they run from you or attack you than they are hostile and thus okay to kill (or doing so won't get you into any more trouble).  If they seem to ignore you than they are owned and probably part of a civ.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 20, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

Tip, "Stray" actually means "Tame".
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 327