Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622087 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2595 on: January 01, 2015, 03:27:38 am »

I thought that was the default way to maneuver past hatches onto ramps (stairs you can just up/down as normal) but I've only been playing adventure mode since 40.19/.23 came out.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 01, 2015, 11:56:56 am »

Well, I use a whip to the weapon-bearing arm, but yep.

Incidentally, I have a hatch cover into a monster lair, but I cannot seem to get down via normal means, any thoughts?

use the same button as the one used for changing lvls in fortress mode.
Is that bug still active, where you have to carefully (Alt+direction) move?

that's only for hatches and stairs, ramps are just walking in the direction of ascending/descending.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 01, 2015, 05:26:43 pm »

Is it possible to play as the children of past adventurers? Do retired adventurers ever have children?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 01, 2015, 05:37:35 pm »

Is it possible to play as the children of past adventurers? Do retired adventurers ever have children?

I heard somewhere that adventurers were usually completely uninterested in relationships. Though someone in the 'your adventures' thread mentioned getting married.

It may be possible, but I do not know. It was possible for adventurers to get married in older versions, but that required your adventurer to migrate into your fort, as history would stop generating once world-gen was over.

As for playing as their children, it's probably a no, as they are probably not flagged as adventurers themselves. But I do not know for certain.

Of course, you could probably do some cheaty things using DFHack to make all of this possible.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 01, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »

Adventurers have the mysterious 1 flag in their orientation, which I guess may mean "undetermined".

And yeah, you could always make your adventurer elsewise with DFHack.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: January 01, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »

I found out how to get down the hatch, but apparently I had to alt-move onto it from a specific direction, as I had already tried from a different one, as well as the normal < and > keys, which usually work for that.

It would certainly be cool if, say, the children of adventurers got, like, Dwarven Childcare trained by their parents, so you could deliberately breed a better adventurer if the ones you had were too wimpy.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: January 02, 2015, 04:21:15 am »

If my lord or lady says there is brewing trouble with our neighbours and peace is no longer an option, what do I do?
Do I go and kill them or elsewise?
thincake

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: January 02, 2015, 08:06:07 am »

That quest is about brawling and vandalism.  Its also broke.  you can try it, but nobidy has ever gotten recognition for it before, afaik
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: January 02, 2015, 10:02:39 am »

For some reason my dwarf can wield a two-handed sword with one hand and a shield with the other, albeit he is tall and broad. If i put my shield away he uses the sword multi-grasp. If i use the two-handed sword one handed is it worse than using a Scimitar one handed? And is there any advantage to putting away the shield and using the sword multi-grasp? Also how do i enter a martial trance, do i activate it myself now or does it happen automatically with dwarves.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: January 02, 2015, 10:09:41 am »

For some reason my dwarf can wield a two-handed sword with one hand and a shield with the other, albeit he is tall and broad. If i put my shield away he uses the sword multi-grasp. If i use the two-handed sword one handed is it worse than using a Scimitar one handed? And is there any advantage to putting away the shield and using the sword multi-grasp? Also how do i enter a martial trance, do i activate it myself now or does it happen automatically with dwarves.
Yes.  It is.

DF adventurers seem to not respect the minsize of a weapon, whereas the ai does.  So even if he's too small to use it you can while controlling him.

The very fact that he multigrasps it implies its that there are penalties for not doing so, so your shield is going to make him take penalties.  I would believe a one-hander would be better than a shield/2hander, especially if your skill is on the lower half of the spectrum.  Maybe if its higher than talented you could try the 2hander/shield and science for me?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: January 02, 2015, 11:34:14 am »

Can i raise my fame by bragging about all my killed goblins? I want to recruit an elite companion but there are no quests in this side of the map so I was wondering if I could raise my fame by killing bandits and goblins that are not requested from me? There are massive amounts of hostile goblins around.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: January 02, 2015, 11:46:24 am »

Enough "summarizing a conflict in which you slew soandso" usually gets people fawning all over me lately, but this is in a world with 100+ semimegabeast or harder mobs running around, so they are probably just sick and tired of "your regularly scheduled monster rampage has been temporarily interrupted by another monster rampage" type nonsense at this point.

Bragging about violent acts doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can see, I'm sure it does something but I don't know what yet.

Btw, pisskop, it's not super scientific, but I was running around with a hacked together suburito that amounted to a nether cap 2hed sword with the attacks swapped for the war hammer blunt bash, and I definitely noticed a difference when I'd pick something up and forget to toss it into my backpack.

The combat log goes from non-stop "has been driven away by the force of the blow" to "falls over in pain" with occasional launches.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »

Yes.  It is.

DF adventurers seem to not respect the minsize of a weapon, whereas the ai does.  So even if he's too small to use it you can while controlling him.

The very fact that he multigrasps it implies its that there are penalties for not doing so, so your shield is going to make him take penalties.  I would believe a one-hander would be better than a shield/2hander, especially if your skill is on the lower half of the spectrum.  Maybe if its higher than talented you could try the 2hander/shield and science for me?

I just cut the lower body clean off a human wrestler on the first swing, 1 handed. It's hard to tell so I'm going to do some serious testing, I'm only talented swordsdwarf.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: January 02, 2015, 12:11:07 pm »

Enough "summarizing a conflict in which you slew soandso" usually gets people fawning all over me lately, but this is in a world with 100+ semimegabeast or harder mobs running around, so they are probably just sick and tired of "your regularly scheduled monster rampage has been temporarily interrupted by another monster rampage" type nonsense at this point.

Bragging about violent acts doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can see, I'm sure it does something but I don't know what yet.

Btw, pisskop, it's not super scientific, but I was running around with a hacked together suburito that amounted to a nether cap 2hed sword with the attacks swapped for the war hammer blunt bash, and I definitely noticed a difference when I'd pick something up and forget to toss it into my backpack.

The combat log goes from non-stop "has been driven away by the force of the blow" to "falls over in pain" with occasional launches.

Great, thanks!  Will it be enough to report to one menber of the civ (or my own fortress in this case) or do i have to tell the specific character I want to recruit about all my kills?

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: January 02, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »

Also how do i enter a martial trance, do i activate it myself now or does it happen automatically with dwarves.

Martial trance requires facing multiple opponents. Then he can run amok.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 327