Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621844 times)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2745 on: February 07, 2015, 03:03:54 am »

When I fire from crossbow game moves really fast for like 10x10 rounds so I am usually unsure where did that bolt go. Is there a way to slow it somehow?
If you're simply asking for the sake of science, learning, et cetera, then yes, lowering FPS to a ridiculous degree should help, and then you can look for the broken bolt more easily.

However, you cannot pick up fired bolts, so finding out where they go isn't really too useful. Look for a little sign which is a < with an underscore under it, that's a broken bolt/arrow.
thincake

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: February 07, 2015, 04:11:46 am »

Correction: you can pick up bolts which hit something and fall at least 1 z level, so shooting at a wall above you or a wall across a small pit is a simple way to skill up crossbows without running out of bolts immediately.

Ultimately though, they are so slow compared to tossing the bolts and there isn't enough of a benefit to shooting vs tossing unless you just like the flavor of using the weapon to do it.

If you just want to kill stuff at a distance and get some skillups go find somewhere that gives the option to (g)et small rocks, fill your backpack up, knap them all (raises a couple of combat important skills) and then set up a macro to toss them t your feet. If you want to skip the knapping step then go find a bandit camp and grab stacks of copper coins, other day I found a stack of 990 copper coins, that'll last you a while for skilling up and they're actually still surprisingly useful if just for slowing things down/stunning them, as you can chip bones and drop things with pain before finishing them off however you prefer.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: February 07, 2015, 04:42:24 am »

Correction: you can pick up bolts which hit something and fall at least 1 z level, so shooting at a wall above you or a wall across a small pit is a simple way to skill up crossbows without running out of bolts immediately.

Ultimately though, they are so slow compared to tossing the bolts and there isn't enough of a benefit to shooting vs tossing unless you just like the flavor of using the weapon to do it.

If you just want to kill stuff at a distance and get some skillups go find somewhere that gives the option to (g)et small rocks, fill your backpack up, knap them all (raises a couple of combat important skills) and then set up a macro to toss them t your feet. If you want to skip the knapping step then go find a bandit camp and grab stacks of copper coins, other day I found a stack of 990 copper coins, that'll last you a while for skilling up and they're actually still surprisingly useful if just for slowing things down/stunning them, as you can chip bones and drop things with pain before finishing them off however you prefer.

Yes, copper coins are incredibly useful. Gold ones are a little better (although that might be some weird placebo effect).

On the subject of stacks, how come I can never throw individual 'x bone'? If I, say, butcher a cheetah, then I get 'cheetah bone <27>'. I can never drop or throw just one, only the entire stack. I imagine my guy throwing multiple ribcages.
Any reason for why? (same happens with horns).
thincake

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: February 07, 2015, 05:23:11 am »

As far as how stacks work in this game confuses me. Ive noticed it and bones are just thrown that way.
Other stacks break up though. You can hold hundreds off meat but only throw one.
So there isnt a fix is my best answer.

As far as the coins. They may have a weight attatched to them according to the metal they are made of. So in theory gold should be bettet than copper. Maybe lead coins are better though
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: February 07, 2015, 05:25:20 am »

Throwing a platinum bar does a lot of damage!

... of course you can only carry one before it slows you down. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #2750 on: February 07, 2015, 05:26:55 am »

Just wondering...

Does the rumor system even work over the long-term?

For an example; I have had dwarven heroes who has killed quite a few notable enemies (dragons, titans, hydras, etc.) but they are never mentioned in engravings and nobody seems to know the creatures in question are actually dead.

I remember in the old versions that people would just automatically know about your hero when you finished a quest, but spreading rumors seems to do nothing but make the person you're talking to like you more.

Is the rumor system just screwed up or am I legitimately doing something wrong?  :-\

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: February 07, 2015, 05:36:15 am »

Could be screwed up but I think its to do with how relevant you and the beast are to the civ.
They may not care about a dragon and an adventurer, but socks ohh boy lets engrave socks and myself

Edit: also have you even told any one from the fortress? Maybe the dont know you exist
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:37:56 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:23 am »

When I fire from crossbow game moves really fast for like 10x10 rounds so I am usually unsure where did that bolt go. Is there a way to slow it somehow?
If you're simply asking for the sake of science, learning, et cetera, then yes, lowering FPS to a ridiculous degree should help, and then you can look for the broken bolt more easily.

However, you cannot pick up fired bolts, so finding out where they go isn't really too useful. Look for a little sign which is a < with an underscore under it, that's a broken bolt/arrow.
I have not intended to pick up those bolts I rather was wondering if there is a way to see what is hapenning. Because when I fire at 15 tiles far enemy everything moves for like 10 rounds. It seems you are unable to do anything while the bolt flies or just some fixed amount of time after shooting so game just jumps forward in like 1 second over this interval :/ I would think you order firing, fire in just one or two rounds and then should be able to order other commands (move, attack, look around, fire again). Maybe I am just too slow in reloading of crossbows.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #2753 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:00 am »

also have you even told any one from the fortress? Maybe the dont know you exist

Hm... Now that I have never done.
(or more like I have done it, I just never reclaimed the fortress afterwards.)

I'll have to try that and see if any of the engravers decide to engrave something related to the hero.

I would have expected that dwarves from migrations, or the liaison, would have told your parasite important nobles about it.
After all, the liaison informs your nobles about other things happening in the world.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: February 07, 2015, 06:25:39 am »

I have not intended to pick up those bolts I rather was wondering if there is a way to see what is hapenning. Because when I fire at 15 tiles far enemy everything moves for like 10 rounds. It seems you are unable to do anything while the bolt flies or just some fixed amount of time after shooting so game just jumps forward in like 1 second over this interval :/ I would think you order firing, fire in just one or two rounds and then should be able to order other commands (move, attack, look around, fire again). Maybe I am just too slow in reloading of crossbows.
Yes that sounds like slow realoadin to me. I suggest like everybody else has, throw the bolts/arrows.

also have you even told any one from the fortress? Maybe the dont know you exist

Hm... Now that I have never done.
(or more like I have done it, I just never reclaimed the fortress afterwards.)

I'll have to try that and see if any of the engravers decide to engrave something related to the hero.

I would have expected that dwarves from migrations, or the liaison, would have told your parasite important nobles about it.
After all, the liaison informs your nobles about other things happening in the world.
Yeah but not if the liaison doesnt know either.
Haha yeah imagine rumours are like a close range virus and only if the people interact will they learn about it.
As you should know by now people are always talking about events to eachother and its only then does the rumor spread.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: February 07, 2015, 07:05:51 am »

Are vampires no longer concealed? I met a friendly goblin vampire who introduced himself as such, and never attacked in the time I stayed the night in his cave.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:22 am »

Are vampires no longer concealed? I met a friendly goblin vampire who introduced himself as such, and never attacked in the time I stayed the night in his cave.
Yeah thats correct. Just dont say they are a vampire or theyl say "I hate you" and spit at you

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: February 07, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »

You: Foul creature of the night, I will see that your kind are struck down before you can prey on any more of my kinsmen!

Goblin Vamp: :(

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:18 pm »

Anytime you are slow (carrying too much, just fired a bow) versus normal movement in the game (speed 1.000) it will seem as though everything is moving quickly (ie your opponent(s) will swarm and repeatedly attack you).

Time is a series of instances, but an instance is more than just a unit of time. The period key "." is 10 instances, the comma key "," is one instance. In combat the passage of time is measured one instance after another and menu selections can change as each instance moves combat forward. Thus instances are then not just about time, but also about opportunity, and measuring speed.

The crossbow, like most weapons, has [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3] which is to say 6 instances, plus whatever number of instances reloading takes. Time will function as one block from when you fire to when you finish reloading (if you finish that is) and during that block of time, your opponents will perform their (normal speed?) actions in relation you/your slowness.

Slowing down this frenetic pace, is more about knowing what archery can do and what it can't do. If you want to play archer, which is less than efficient, but as many have said a flavor choice, knowing that the block of time from firing to reload will be long and unbroken and that there are only certain occasions to use archery. Some of these things are the same as they were from 34.11 and some not so much. The bow really should be used just from stealth against set piece scenarios. If I make a character who can carry the weight of bolts, I'll sneak versus a group of bandits and drop them with shots before going in to finish with melee, or versus titans that have web or breathe fire. There is never a reason to use a bow in a lair as the main benefit of ranged weapons is great distance, and the lair is a compression of space.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:09:19 pm by a smiling bearded cretin »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: February 07, 2015, 07:20:16 pm »

I thought the attack/recover was just for using the bow as a weapon, not for shooting with it.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 327