Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473138 times)

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2011, 11:37:53 pm »

Ugh, save per level really needs to be on by default. I explored the entire maze and got several good artifacts, and the game crashes. FML

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:27 am »

Before losing my character in the fortress, i went to the graveyard near Last Hope to see if i could grind some XP in opening the coffins inside of the mausoleum (though avoiding to enter the last room with the unique in there).
From reading, opening one of the coffins has a chance to summon a random undead, and in randomness it can be an unique.

1st coffin was a strong vampire, but i managed to destroy it as it was not that much dangerous, but 2nd coffin made an undead unique appear.

And this one was much more tricky : everytime he hits you, he regenerates a bit of life, and he has a spell to heal himself greatly that he casts regularly. It was a problem as his resistance allowed him to lower my best weapon damage a lot

And it was not all : he was casting from time to time a shield spell that protected him all the kind of damage i could do with my main weapon for 8 or 9 turns (and during that time he could regenerate).
And when the shield spells was out, he was able to cast an Evasion spell for nearly as much turns too that basically made my high damage skills (rush/death dance).

In the end i was unable to destroy it and had to run away after several attempt (the best i could was getting him down to 300 health when i was lucky to get lot of critical hits and be lucky that i could use rush and death dance with his shield or evasion active for 2 or 3 turns), but he was always reganerating too much for the level my character was.

So before attempting the graveyard quest near New Hope , be sure to be carefull :
-do not go directly to the last room, as from what i understand all the random classed undead (that can all be uniques due to the randomness) will spawn and rush to the help unique. 
-open then every coffin to deal with them one by one, but be sure your character is high level enough in case the game decide to spawn randomly a -very- strong undead unique, and get as much resistance and save as possible.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:23 pm »

There is an issue with the Graveyard as well. The curse that occasionally protects the coffins can mess you up badly in the long run, since it is the one Cursed start with. So, if you don't need generics badly, you can actually get better gear eventually, but if you're already tight on generic points, it can screw you over.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »

Going to try a ghoul cursed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »

There is an issue with the Graveyard as well. The curse that occasionally protects the coffins can mess you up badly in the long run, since it is the one Cursed start with. So, if you don't need generics badly, you can actually get better gear eventually, but if you're already tight on generic points, it can screw you over.

While i have unlocked the Cursed several time, i never played such a character, and indeed during my graveyard attempt my character got the curse after opening the 1st coffin.
What is it doing and is it possible to get cured from it ?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »

Gives some of the equipment you find penalties. You can invest points in the tree so that you get bonuses as well
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »

Okay, finished all of the tier 2 dungeons except daikara, (this includes ruined dungeon and the first floor of golem graveyard, if there's more then one floor there) and managed to finish up the lake and derth too. Now urkis is still giving me some trouble, but I think I can pull off daikara as I've got some cold/lightning/confusion resist equipment lying around.

Is status resist stuff important to keep around?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »

Not necessarily important to hoard, but it is important to have -- especially stun, blind, and confusion resist. The bright side to this is that there's a few items in the game (particular artifacts -- glory of the pride and the fiery choker will cover all three between them, ferex.) that grant full immunity to one or more of those, so in the long run it's not much of an issue, but in the short term, stuff like not having good stun resistance can royally screw you over, especially if you're not pumping saves to compensate.

Stun resistance protects you from both being stunned and being frozen, two debuffs which, while somewhat less dangerous than they were in earlier betas, are still incredibly vicious status effects. Blindness becomes more prevalent in the later game, and not being able to see what/where things you're fighting is can be deadly, for obvious reasons. Stuff like telepathy, arcane eye, or track, can help mitigate this effect, fortunately. Confusion is deadly in its own right -- you can read a few pages back for, iirc, Robsoie's encounter with how brutal confusion can be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »

Oh, stun affects freeze too? That was part of the reason urkis killed me.

Hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

EDIT: Oh. Stun/Freeze.

Welp. :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:33:37 pm by Seriyu »

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2011, 07:01:32 pm »

Sometimes icy just doesn't cut it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »

"Icy icy steel shot, for when you need to freeze that fire drake, right here, right now!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 16, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »

Just wait until you see annihilation of annihilation ammo :P

Bringing light to the rumors of spontaneous generation since T4 had greater ammo egos.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:55 pm »

Reminds me of when I ran into a "Ghostly Ghost" in Diablo 2.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »

Temporal rift, is this a death sentence?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »

Rift is... interesting. There's four bosses in there, two of which you fight at the same time.

Despite this, the bosses are pushovers (comparatively) and not really an issue. Good loot, decent XP.

Rift's major difficulty is, as I call them, time Es. Time elementals. They're faster than you, they have ranged attacks (which is often a nasty debuff, as well), hitting them in melee hurts you, and there's going to be upwards twenty or so of the bastards in the first area of the rift. Then a few in the second, and another junkload in the third.

Further, the buggery things randomly trigger paradox anomalies, which can cause horrible or wonderful things to happen. The longer they're alive, and the more of them there are, the more anomalies get triggered and the more likely they are to trigger.

Bascially, I recommend going past it, killing Rantha, then coming back. Get another level, just in case, then give it a shot. If you've got decent healing, you might be okay. If you're a ranged class, you're probably in a lot better shape than a melee class is (The retaliation damage stacks bloody quick).

The rift is doable, but it's dangerous. If you're not confident, be free to skip it. It's not as dangerous as the crypt (enjoy! It's going to jump you soon~) or the spellblaze, or dreadfell, but it's a bit tougher than daikara's normal levels are.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 163