Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471318 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »

I wished I found a plain vorutun ring/amulet. I'm at level 50 and I still don't have one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have the tome and a bunch of gems, but I don't think I'll find any plain vorutun jewelry in this playthrough.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »

Anyone know a fix for the game just getting stuck at the first (loading) screen? 0%,  not responding, regardless of time passed. Dual core 3.2 ghz here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:47 pm »

Got to the far east but did not unlock anorithils. I accidentally Lianrill with my alchie bombs :-(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2011, 05:57:33 pm »

About what level should I attempt the Zigur arena? I tried at level 19 or so last time and my last fight was a level 30 corruptor. But I've heard of people doing it earlier then that and they seemed surprised that it wasn't beatable. Does it pull from a random pool of enemies or what?

Just about yesterday i did that with with 10 level fighter... Last fight was 27 level orc corrupter(I was 11!!! vs 27). I hugged topleft 2 wall bricks  and spammed my HP infusions before he got cd's on abilities. After that I chased him (new AI casters always run like sissies) then he was out of mana and I comfortably finished him.
I cba how hard he was, I always play adventure dificulty, I hate roguelike one/timer crap since nethack in 90-x (crap i was pissed off most times, I got my copy of NH on diskette from friend, no spoilers, no inet for next 6-10 years), but in Tome it's always about level/timing. I've found Maze/Zigur to be actually HARDER later on, so I do both whenever I can, earlier is better.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2011, 06:08:07 pm »

Anyone know a fix for the game just getting stuck at the first (loading) screen? 0%,  not responding, regardless of time passed. Dual core 3.2 ghz here.

I have this problem on my main computer, but not my laptop. Both running XP.
Would also like to know how to fix it.

Anyone have any tips for summoners?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:11:33 pm by DeKaFu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »

Actually, the farporlta
Lesson to learn : keep farportal for much later.

Actually~

It's arguably (somewhat) safer to do farportals early. They scale to your character, so the stronger you are, the more powerful the foes you encounter in them. That fire wyrm was a classed random unique, which is more or less why it tore you a new one. Earlier in the game, it's less likely to generate vicious doom beasts like that.

I wished I found a plain vorutun ring/amulet. I'm at level 50 and I still don't have one.
I have the tome and a bunch of gems, but I don't think I'll find any plain vorutun jewelry in this playthrough.

Re: Spoiler: The only limit is your supply of plain amulets and gold. Plain voratun amulets are flipping rare, especially now that magetown seems to refuse to sell them (Scummed their ring shop at level 50 a good dozen times with no results :-\ Only stralite.). Best chance I've seen is Vor's Armory. I guess it's theoretically possible for an adventurer group to drop one, or for you to find one in a farportal, but...

Anyone have any tips for summoners?
See if this helps. I don't play summoners very often, so all I can really contribute is once you've got 5/5 hydra and some points into resilience, you can start keeping multiple hydras up simultaneously. This will pretty much steamroll the entirety of the west, in my experience.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »

Honestly, I think a 5/5 Ritch is at least as powerful as a hydra, especially in wide open areas such as adventure party battles. They can spam Flamespit, whereas the Hydra can typically only get out the three shots of its breath before dying. Of course, in cramped conditions, Hydras win hands down, but in any cramped tunnel you can pretty much hold the line indefinitely past level 10.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:26 am »

Lesson to learn : keep farportal for much later.

Actually~

It's arguably (somewhat) safer to do farportals early. They scale to your character, so the stronger you are, the more powerful the foes you encounter in them. That fire wyrm was a classed random unique, which is more or less why it tore you a new one. Earlier in the game, it's less likely to generate vicious doom beasts like that.

I didn't knew  the unique in Farportal somehow scaled with your character level, ouch i would hate to see what is generated there when you go at max level (level 50 i think)
Thanks, will keep that in mind for future characters.

After getting back to the West, i noticed i completely forgot to explore the halflings labs with subject Z in the end.
Was rather easy at level 40 as even Subject Z couldn't stand more than a couple of turns, Rush was definitively helpfull in saving the wayist in time once you open the door (good as i didn't unlocked yet the race.)

Oh and a question, as i noticed i missed another optional dungeon, with the slaver and the arena on the bottom, i went the "good" path and just punched to death the arena master instead of accepting to compete in the arena with the slaves.
As it's not the only choice you can do differently ingame, i wonder, is there an importance in doing the right thing in Tome4 in the current beta ?

About items, when you get back to Last Hope after completing the portal in the East and need to fetch some items to build a 2nd portal (that would allow to get back to East easily) , the tower dungeon you're sent in is more difficult than as the floors are very small and you can't really have corridor to fight.
But i found that the items you can find on the ground are of much better quality than what i was finding on the ground up to now.
(be sure to fight on stairs, so you can get downstair if the situation is too difficult to heal and get up with full rune/infusion and health.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:35:40 am by Robsoie »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2011, 08:37:41 am »

Re: Spoiler: The only limit is your supply of plain amulets and gold. Plain voratun amulets are flipping rare, especially now that magetown seems to refuse to sell them (Scummed their ring shop at level 50 a good dozen times with no results :-\ Only stralite.). Best chance I've seen is Vor's Armory. I guess it's theoretically possible for an adventurer group to drop one, or for you to find one in a farportal, but...

Ah, I forgot that they nerfed the reward. The only time I managed to find the tome before was several betas ago. I couldn't see invisible things, so it didn't end well.

Oh and a question, as i noticed i missed another optional dungeon, with the slaver and the arena on the bottom, i went the "good" path and just punched to death the arena master instead of accepting to compete in the arena with the slaves.
As it's not the only choice you can do differently ingame, i wonder, is there an importance in doing the right thing in Tome4 in the current beta ?

In previous betas, you received nothing (other than crappy loot and some xp) for killing the yeek slaver boss. Now, you can complete the quest and get an achievement.  :P

Winning the arena mini-game gets you a class unlock and a nice guaranteed artifact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

So for now, behaving good or evil does not impact the story/quests out of some unlocks or items ?

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2011, 09:29:26 am »

So for now, behaving good or evil does not impact the story/quests out of some unlocks or items ?

Siding with the
and
effects the ending. That's about it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:56 am »

Yeah... as a general rule, acting "good" does nothing but make you lose out on concrete rewards. You might get achievements, but you usually lose out on loot and XP. Even failing the Melinda quest tends to give a better payout than actually completing it.

The player in T4 is a pretty horrible person, heh, and a number of the quests are set up to actively encourage this. T4's chock full of delightful What the Hell, Hero? (or perhaps Moral Dissonance, but DG's well aware of how evil his main character has to be in order to win the game :P) moments.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:56 am »

Too bad, i was hoping that at some points the game would get some different moral paths instead of pushing you to be just a shade of evil to win the game.
I hope at some point it will be reconsidered, that would be a good way to give some replayability too instead of having it only dependant on the selected class (for the different start).

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2011, 11:18:54 am »

I didn't even get to talk to the corrupter, probably because I was a Dwarf and also killed all his followers and his lover.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2011, 11:50:53 am »

The requierements to talk to the corrupter are to know more than 10 skills qualifying as arcane (aka: any paradox, mana, positive, negative, or vim using abilities. Hate abilities in principle dont count, though this might or might not apply to Doomed -I heard they were fixed so thwt they cannot take antimagic-) and beat him halfway to death (which makes him argue for the fraternity of all magic users).

Make sure to bring along some magic dispelling device (staff of corruption, or foos of dispersal) in case he brings you to fearscape
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 163