Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473271 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #360 on: September 23, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

I thought i didn't get to talk to him because i used Rush as soon as he appeared in my los, following by a death dance doing some nice damage, that would certainly have not encouraged him to think we could solve our problems peacefully ;)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:53 pm »

Damnit. Started another game and the spellblaze gone error repeated itself in an odd manner: It was actually there, albeit in a different position than it should be (further south than it's usual position). Then I entered combat with a bear, and poof, it was gone afterwards.

I'm finishing my alchemist game and then I'm going back to beta 33
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 23, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

Looks like beta33 seems less buggy than beta34 from the reports i read there, except of the southern desert mountains chain in the East map that crash the game if played with Shockbolt tileset instead of ASCII every time you get out of an instance.

How do you assault an Orc Pride bastion with a berzerker ?

I save scummed to test the waters in them, and all the entrances seems to be built the same way : you're inside a large open room and there is a dozen of orcs, most being casters.

And so without corridors to focus the battle inside choke point, it's basically your character being focus fired by every casters/archers, with summons appearing around and you're hit by every kind of elemental damage (so preparing for specific resistance does not work as you would need all of them) damage accumulation by turn is then so high that even high wild infusion, great shielding rune, high regeneration, healing and the various equilibrium skills do not allow my level 43 character (+/- 1300 health) to survive more than at most 10 turns.

I tried rushing a caster but it does not really protect you from the other, as they're all placed roughly in half circle around the stair entrance, though it allows to at least take one down very quickly.

Only real working tactic i found was to use the teleportation rune that get you inside the bastion, avoiding this death trap entirely, inside the bastion it's rare to get in situation that has more than 2 enemies, so it's easy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:51:03 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2011, 03:18:19 pm »

My elfzerker -- the shalore berserker that was the last 'zerker I got to the east, in... b31, I think -- took out the pride entrances fairly simply.

Rush one of the threesomes in the north or south sides of the entrance, then nail them with deathdance + shattering impact -- this will either kill them all or most of them. A second, possibly third swing will kill that three.

Then, movement infusion to the other threesome and start hammering with SI boosted hits. They'll drop in <4 turns. Finally either rush or simply walk to whatever's left.

If health gets low, I popped unstoppable followed by timeless, granting me twelve turns of invincibility (usually followed by a full heal). None of the entrances (not even the grushnak pride barracks, which are absolutely one of the most dangerous fights in the entre game) survived past that point.

By that point, though, I had native >100 hp/round regen while bloodbath was going (and >50% crit rate, so bloodbath was always going) along with decent enough resistances, armor, HP, etc, so it was pretty rare they actually managed to damage me enough to need unstoppable.

A pastebin link to that character's victory dump. Also known as "How an endgame shattering bloodthirst berserker looks." It's a genuine shame some debugging invalidated the save file :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39:42 pm »

How do I get to Reknor / east?

Staff was stolen, talked to elder, cleared spellblaze. Now what?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

You don't have to clear spellblaze to get to the east. You have to do the Iron throne mines.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 23, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

Reknor for me was in the side of a mountain chain in the north east of Last Hope, i don't think the place existed before i actually got the quest.

My elfzerker -- the shalore berserker that was the last 'zerker I got to the east, in... b31, I think -- took out the pride entrances fairly simply.
Just looked at your log, you had no teleport/phase and healing runes ?

I can't imagine how half my character survived would have been actually survivable without those 2 additional runes bought with category point

Is the movement infusion that good ?
I hesitated to take it at some point, but it would have meant removing one rune of mine (as category buying slots is limited in how much category point you can use to buy slots) and considering how much usefull they had all been to my character survival i couldn't do that.

Looks like my teleport tactic is working extremely well : avoiding original death trap by teleporting inside the bastion, clean the whole bastion, then open the entrance door from the inside and kill the previously death trap by having the advantage of the terrain.
Cleaned Vor Bastion and killed Vor like this without losing a life.

Oh and about the Orc being the "good guys", i just visited the Orc breeding camp, fetched every notes on the ground, and read the description of the people in there, and the less i can say is if the player is not morally the best, the Orcs may have been "good guys" in older ages, but in the age in which the game is taking place they are fully horrible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:48 pm »

Movement infusions are freaking incredible. It's better than PD and CPD in 90% of situations you'll encounter and teleportation is very easy to get in accessible non-inscription format (staff, amulet, wand).

The character had teleport on tap, though, via a (elm) conveyance staff in the alternate weapon slot. It saved th'critters life quite a few times and has absolute ridiculous synergy with unstoppable -- if everything's not dead when the duration on unstoppable hits two or three, you simply swap weapons and teleport out, no muss no fuss.

As for the orcs, as you read the lore, you see that the dude that did what he did is actually a fairly sympathetic character -- the orc species is an incredibly desperate one. They were brutally enslaved and then basically genocided for attempting to free themselves (and get a little well deserved vengeance in the process). He did what he did to save his species from complete extinction, for all that what he did was indeed absolutely horrible. There wasn't really a choice for them, though. The female population at the time, apparently, was no longer large enough to maintain a viable species.

They're not exactly nice (They're expansionists with a bit of a vengeance kick -- that probably includes a little counter-genocide), but compared to some of the other races (Halflings, the little midget bastards), they're not that bad.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 23, 2011, 06:25:44 pm »

Some advice: as soon as you start a new game, take a stroll out and make sure all dungeons (or at least the ones you need) are in place and show up as purple dots in the map.  If they aren't, respawn.

Not good enough. Spellblaze at the very least can still disappear during the game :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:06:03 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »

How do you assault an Orc Pride bastion with a berzerker ?

Simple. Fight in corridors as much as you can and retreat often. Stair-scum, if you absolutely have to. And try to lure enemies into a doorway in an empty room. Fighting multiple enemies at once is a bad idea, unless you're an overpowered caster.  :P

My only win, so far, is with a dwarf zerker (b27, roguelike):

http://te4.org/characters/4906/tome/ee13078a-89b2-11e0-86bb-001cc000edf0

I made a few mistakes, like focusing on damage and regen above all else, but the game was still pretty easy. Not bad for my 5th character ever. Now, my characters usually die due to bugs and upgrades. Heh.

Is the movement infusion that good ?

YES!

Edit: Movement gives you perfect control on where you're moving. And you move so fast that most enemies won't be able to act.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:54:06 pm by Dr.Feelgood »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 23, 2011, 06:57:25 pm »

Yes, from the lore i collected it looks like the Halflings were indeed bad guys of the recent ages, i'm not yet at the end of the game but i wonder if the Sher'thul are going to beat them easily on the evil level.
Their hunt of godlings is rather suspicious to start with and their weaponry/technology that nearly destroyed the world seems to hint at very bad source of powers.

I liked the story of the major Orc hero (Garkul the Devourer) too (headbutted Atamathon :D ), but i would not really call him a good guy either, after all murdering whole cities of defenseless people does not really play well for good karma :)

For the females, there's a difference between assuring the future of their race and building gigantic new hordes in few days (as from the description of the female and the female unique in the end, they seem  produce many baby orcs by minutes), so it lead into thinking that the notes are not telling exactly the truth (after all the orcs history notes were wrote by Garkul followers and admirers), as they were not building back their race, they were building several legions for further invasions.

That's what i like in this universe, like for the case of the temple of creation (the naga versus the sea dragon), you're left with yourself to judge the truth behind the notes and claims you read, meaning that Maj'Eyal history may not always be wrote in truth but in way that servers their writers views.

Anyways, it's rather amazing to see the superb effort to create such a coherent world in Tome4, you can see that it has been a great work to rebuild from the middle earth environment into something very different but with such a completely new vast amount of history.

Now in gameplay, that has been one of the most difficult dungeon for my character.

While the underground large level between theose are "piece of cake" easy, the guarded barracks with the large amount of very strong orcs in the main large room is very hard as my teleport tactic can't work, each guarded barracks being too small for the teleport to make an effect.

Additionally, i don't know why it's happening, but while the corridor looks nice for a defense (as individually none of the legion of defender is of any threat), after a few turns, i'm teleported all around the room, often landing in the middle of somewhere that put my character in jeopardy.

I save scummed a very lot to complete the 2 first ones (there are 4 of them) replaying those guarded barracks a lot until i figured out a tactic using the Rush followed by Death Dance , then retreating to stairs, healing, going back and hoping for the best.

As Frumple and Dr Feelgood seems to be enthousiastic with it, i will need to study seriously those movement runes, would most likely have saved my character in those without the need of save scumming in the 2 first floors of them as i would have been able to run to the stairs instead of being stuck in sometime nearly impossible situations, but losing a teleport or a healing ? argh. Decisions ! Decisions !
:D

At least it allowed me to get a frankly great artifact massive armor (Plate Armor of the King) and get to level 48

Though i found some slimy stairs at the end of that Pride after killing Grushnak, wonder where it is leading.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:07 pm »

Okay enough messing around, I wanna get to the east.

Ergo, dwarf fighter on easier mode along with adventurer mode.

I'LL GET IT THIS TIME DX

EDIT: Given a choice between say, a platemail with 5% nature resistance and a ringmail with 15% nature resistance, what would be the armor piece to hang onto?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:28:42 pm by Seriyu »

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

I think both plate mail and ring mail have the same hardiness, so the ring mail if the armor isn't that much lower.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2011, 12:13:37 am »

Hardiness?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2011, 12:08:44 pm »

The whole location bug deal is griefing my fun :/
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163