Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473220 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #645 on: September 10, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »

Go to the menu->Graphics Mode-> Select Style-> Shockbolt
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 10, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »

Thanks you I resolved it.
I had a bug where the shockbolt actually didn't change anything, so I thought it was another ascii-like tile set. A reboot and everything was fine.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »

E: Strong disagreement on thought-forged, especially if you're planning on doing anything with feedback. They're your best source of getting feedback and easily one of the best summons in the game, with excellent scaling, random kit, and the ability to turn into damage monsters when under the effect of overmind. I'm still not 100% sure how well they do in the 40-50 level range, but my yeek solipsist that's in the thirties has been soloing farportal bosses with overmind thought-forged and the bonus you get from having a defender or warrior (especially warrior) up is pretty big. Major reqs, and having a second target around can never be underestimated.

I'd recommend 5/5 first tier, I think three into second (there's a point where they get two tlvls for one point investment, it's either two or three points invested), and 5/5 last tier (but a flat minimum of one, to get the feedback return), with as much in overmind as you can spare. 5/5 overmind on a bowman with a high level bow is an absolute monstrosity, and can do more damage in a single turn than a lot of things in the game.
Hm... I only ever put 4 points in it early on, and it wasn't really very much help except as a distraction I guess.
I suppose it would be nice to use your thoughtform as an offensive summon (with overmind), but that requires A LOT of points to do really well, and the Solipsist is one of the classes that has a ton of other abilities that you basically need to get first and others that you pretty much need to max as the game pregresses (that in my mind are more important then the numerous points you need to put into thoughtform), ~15 for the solipsism tree alone (although depending on how much health you have and how good your other saves are you can go quite a bit lower), 6 in psyscic assault (since level 5 nightmare is AMAZING, and even 1 level in inner demons is amazing as well), 6 in psychic assault (so you have all the abilities unlocked and a good damage on mind sear), 4 in distortion (so you unlock all of those abilities at level 1). That's 31 points right there, and can easily go up to 40 points if you feel like fleshing those out a bit.
Its good to hear that it is super good if you actually put a lot of points in it, but I suppose I don't know quite when I could put points in it without waiting till like level 30, especially since you need a bunch of points to really use it well.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »

With a three inscription warden, I'd go regen/wild/movement, barring artifact stuff... possibly shield instead of regen, if I was trying to diversify to avoid saturation trouble (and had some kit regen or something to help with resting an' crap). With a four, probably a shield rune or rune of the rift. Five, either another regen, a heal, or a second shield. Possibly a second movement infusion instead. Rune of the rift if I hadn't with the forth, perhaps.

Movement infusions are almost a definite if you're not undead, though, at least one. They combine with celerity and haste (just make sure to cast haste before popping the rune) in an incredible way. Two is usually overkill, but at the same time double movement infusion gives you supreme control over positioning, especially when stacked with the various mobility talents TWs have. Just one is probably enough, though.

I'll be saving this to a text file as well for future reference, so again thank you very much.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »

-snipped-
I second the thoughtform bit. 7 points into the tree, to get the three forms and feedback returns from them is extremely useful. Note that in my runs I typically found the berserker form most useful, with the defender immediately switched to if anything gets close, and bowman as a backup meatshield. In the times I've used it, bowman seems FAR more interested in staying away from critters close to me instead of shooting them, so it never worked out well except to throw a body between me and the horde if the other two died/cooling down.

Distortion and dreamforge always felt a bit weak to me. Mostly because the psychic assault line has a one turn cooldown attack in mind seer, and the others are incredibly nasty. Some of them damage your thoughtform if its nearby, but that gives it feedback anyway, and the feedback goes to you, healing you, so win/win.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

Distortion has massive utility.
The first ability is near useless, the second ability is a wave knockback (which you only need to put 1 point into) and is fairly nice sometimes when you need to push stuff away and they have insomnia and you don't want to run away and mindsear is on cooldown, the third ability is fairly useful when combined with the fourth (it takes away a single sustain/positive effect every single turn, which can be very helpful).
The fourth ability is super useful (especially with a few points in it so it lasts longer and effects a bigger area), you can use it to keep enemies away from you for its whole duration (especially bosses), use it to drag enemies from around corners without going into their line of sight (or put it to stop them from following you around a corner). It is especially useful while they have insomnia and you are can't move (and don't want to have to pop a wild infusion or movement infusion or teleport)
Yes, the raw damage of the tree is pitiful, but the utility of the tree is super helpful, especially for only 4 points.

Also: What is everyone's thoughts on dreamforge? It looks like it might be pretty useful (especially the damage shield, and I imagine the fourth ability could be useful at higher levels (with a good spell failure chance and a decent AOE), but its hard to tell (and I don't want to waste a category slot+points on it if its not very good).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »

Still haven't gotten around to using it, though I hear good things about dreamshield (especially mixed with AM shield and dismissal. There's apparently not much overlap with the latter, but it's a hefty tanking option anyway).

Now dreamhammer, I like, and it's actually pretty vicious. The big thing with it is that it's very much a combo tree -- a standard pattern for my hammer using solipsist was to mindsear while they're one-two tiles away, lay out a toss (remembering to manually aim just past the target), probably use mindsear again, use the tier three when they got right beside me to stun, then drop the first tier talent and immediately follow through with whichever of the second and third tier talents came off cooldown due to the first tier's effect. Then you can nail with a knockback wave, sleep 'em, or swap positions with your thoughtforged and wait to do it again. A lot of upfront damage for when mindsear alone wasn't cutting it. S'pretty nice if you can manage to be safe in melee (not going 5/5 on solipsism can help there, as can using a natively high life rating race (dwarf, ghoul, skeleton, primarily).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:00 am »

Huh, just ran into an amusing bug.
I was in the temporal rift, and I used overmind to swap to my bowman. Except it didn't work properly, a error message popped up, and the game proceeded to run at 100X speed (and of course both me and my summon died in like ten turns), I didn't actually get the death message, and didn't go to the elodien plane, I just stood there dead (and luckily enough it didn't save like that), and the game kept running till it froze (after about a year had passed by).

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 11, 2012, 09:55:31 am »

Huh, just ran into an amusing bug.
I was in the temporal rift, and I used overmind to swap to my bowman. Except it didn't work properly, a error message popped up, and the game proceeded to run at 100X speed (and of course both me and my summon died in like ten turns), I didn't actually get the death message, and didn't go to the elodien plane, I just stood there dead (and luckily enough it didn't save like that), and the game kept running till it froze (after about a year had passed by).

The Temporal Rift understands that this release is buggy and thus wants to send it into the future to a time where Solopsist will be fixed!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:05 am »

I like those rare "events" that you can find from time to time on the map and dungeons, not talking about the new dungeon random features (antimagic, life, necrotic, etc.. fields) that are rather common.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It really helps giving more "life" to the game.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

Yesterday, I found a hidden trapdoor with somebody crying for help. Went to investigate and it was a trap. Maze-like area with a metric ton of assorted bandits. Poor bandits weren't expecting a dwarf and her artifact-wielding pet golem.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:44 pm »

Heh, another amusing bug, I had just reduced two allied sandworms to 0 health (they were summoned by a inner demon of a boss), but they didn't die somehow. I tried to walk into them too see if I could hit them or move them. I didn't. I teleported to the other side of them somehow and left an EXACT CLONE of myself behind (not a temporal clone, or a inner demon clone, or any of the other regular clones available), it was allied to me and I couldn't control it. I did it again and another clone popped up. I did it a third time and the game crashed (because I think it tried to move me to the location of the clone via teleporting).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 11, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »

Finally got to unlock the Paradox Mage with my Temporal Warden, a bit annoying is that doing so is preventing me to get into the temporal rift dungeon :/

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 11, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

Finally got to unlock the Paradox Mage with my Temporal Warden, a bit annoying is that doing so is preventing me to get into the temporal rift dungeon :/

Paradox Mage is one of the ones I want to play right about now. The story inside my head right now somehow involves one that uses control over space-time to alter memories in order to get away with mischief and misconduct. Thinking a Higher Paradox Mage that managed to use time travel to send the knowledge she has from the future back to her younger self in order to do something I haven't figured out for some reason.

...Must Google how to unlock Paradox Mage.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

Paradox mage is honestly the most fun class I've played in a game on a computer, but all the paradox classes got hit hard with nerfs. Temporal Warden kind of deserved it, because they were bonkers when spin fate upped defence, but Paradox mage is hardly better or easier than an alchemist, or an archmage, not to mention release Solipsist.

SO MUCH GOD DAMN FUN THOUGH.

Like, fuck you skeleton, eat GRAVITY kind of fun. Sadly I'm too bad to play a good PM now. Got one to level 40-something in b038, my best character in Tome4 ever.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 163