Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471331 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1155 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:16 am »

Goddamn.

At level 40, my cornac oozemancer hits for...

Acid splash fires
9 oozes fire beams in reaction, for 110 each
Unstoppable nature procs, 110 each again
Splash hits for 300 acid, sicks 50% nature vulnerability.
Slime take their turns, maybe 5 of them fire for 110 each.
Then slime spit hits for 1200+, on every target, but I could just back away as the mucus and the slimes would overkill everything by a large margin. Anyway, total ranged damage in 2 turns: about 4000. Wut. Total aoe damage is "only" 1500, but spores can remedy that for strong foes.

And also Oozemancer has a ton of mobility/defensive abilities. And here I thought the solipsist was overpowered.

Oh and I didn't factor ooze crit (20%). Nor prodigies.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:18:32 am by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:57 am »

Honestly, if it's not poison immune, an oozemancer can pretty much just write it off as a threat. Mucus alone does some ludicrous amounts of damage (and a.splash spreads it freaking everywhere), and poison spores approach Impending Doom level damage throughput. And that's just three talents out of a lot >_>

It's pretty great. Don't underestimate call of the ooze, either. Massively jacked up melee attack vs. pretty much everything in sight is delicious, especially when you've got psiblades and maxed out will/cun.

It'll be interesting to see which of its orifices gets violated by the nerf bat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 24, 2013, 11:25:41 am »

It'll be interesting to see which of its orifices gets violated by the nerf bat.

I'd wager mucus in general, call of the ooze, oozewalk, and maaaybe mosses.

Errata on my previous post: with 100 will and a cat point, the nature vulnerability is 77%, not 50%.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:30:13 am by Encased in burning magma »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:37 pm »

Mm. Yeah, call of the ooze has already been hit (CD increase, ooze number limited by mitosis level), and mosses have got some tweaking (slippery nerfed a bit, general change of not being able to crit duration). Oozewalk and mucus haven't been touched yet, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 24, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »

Quote from: Terra_Inc
It's a DW reference, obviously. The Daleks stole the moon of Poosh.
Thanks, i should probably need to watch TV more to get this :D
After googling that moon of Poosh stolen thing, it makes sense.

Something nice for the Oozemancer is that in one of the locked talent tree there's one that allow you to lower a lot the nature resistance of enemies if you throw acid to them.

It's excellent because the awesome (though not high damaging) acid mucus that hit in large radius (and spawn your oozes) will then cripple the nature resistance of monsters affected, and then you can shoot your high damaging (at talent 5 and high mindpower) Slime Spit that deal nature damage (and is able to bounce through multiple enemies).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:48:48 pm by Robsoie »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 24, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »

It looks like Blighted Summoning would have been excellent on an Oozemancer. I checked what it did to the oozes (it doesn't fit in the description, had to read in on the pride necromancer boss char sheet), and it gives ranged oozes Virulent Disease and melee oozes Bone Shield. Oooh mama.

How would you go about aquiring 50 magic on that kind of character? Gear can't really help since he's antimagic by default.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:24 pm »

I have seen a very, very small number of gear items that were non-arcane but also had +magic. Other than that, I really have no idea. I've not really played much since the last patch, do you literally start the game with the anti-magic path on, or do you just have access to it and still need to take the test? If it's the second, you could just delay the test until 30, if the prodigy doesn't count as a passive spell.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 24, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »

Even if you can still get the test, the class is said to be "antimagic" by nature.
By example in Zigur you can ask the direction of Tempest Peak to the Protector without having to take the test first.

So i'm not sure it's possible to use gear to get to the 50 magic, you will probably need to invest a lot of points.
Surely not points you'll have given to Cunning and Willpower, as every skills power is related to Mindpower, so you would then probably use the points you would have put in Constitution and direct them to Magic instead.

Making you more weak in term of health (and then not benefitting of the maximum Resist All you can obtain from Thick Skin) in order to get enough Magic to obtain that prodigy.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 24, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »

Making you more weak in term of health (and then not benefitting of the maximum Resist All you can obtain from Thick Skin) in order to get enough Magic to obtain that prodigy.

Bah, that's what I feared. Took the antimagic-shield boosting prodigy instead along with Eye of the Tiger.

Unrelated: the paladin bugged and didn't spawn on the final battle. No matter, as I simply squashed them both before they could really do anything :/. Why was the class released in this state? It could be nerfed by half and still be very good.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 24, 2013, 06:17:28 pm »

I am wondering, is this item as amazing as i think it is, or is that going to be a serious problem attracting attention to my character ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »

It's as amazing as you think it is, Robs.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 24, 2013, 06:35:43 pm »

Good, i'm always suspicious of the telepathy brand, as sometime i'm really wondering if what i see through it is in fact seeing me as easily.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 24, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »

Good, i'm always suspicious of the telepathy brand, as sometime i'm really wondering if what i see through it is in fact seeing me as easily.

That's only a problem for things like saving the yeek wayist.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 24, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »

Doesn't the wayist, and things like the room of death in vor armoury require your actual presence, though? I'm relatively certain I have used Arcane eye on the Wayist without triggering the fight... or is telepathy coded differently somehow?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:21 pm »

Telepathy:all is fantastic. My corruptor had it and it trivialized the game. Yes, enemies can see you too. However, telepathy allows you to see through walls, (regular and magical) darkness, invisibility, stealth, and blindness. You usually can't see into vaults, unless it has a regular door. Enemies in vaults can't act, unless you opened the vault.

EDIT:

Won with my dwarf geomancer on nightmare roguelike!

http://te4.org/characters/30061/tome/2814d187-e855-40b3-bfd7-f5d5776c3c4a

This is my 2nd win in a row. Pulverizing Auger is fun. I liked attacking enemies through walls.

The orc prides scale to level 60, the slime tunnels: 80, high peak: 90, and the final bosses: 100.

The final battle was anti-climatic. Elandar's freeze spell deals 1750 damage(!), but I killed him before he could attack me. I shut off all portals and killed the bosses without taking any damage. The paladin survived with 40% of her health remaining.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:44:43 am by Dr Feelgood »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 163