Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473113 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1650 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:32 am »

I tried a ghoul bulwark... having some limited success with my last bulwark, I thought together with a ghoul's innate toughness it'd be even better. I so underestimated the speed penalty! Got dragged into the merchant quest, got pulled into the crowd and they killed me after I turned on shield rune... they slashed me so many times before I could act again.  :-X

Now trying a dwarf alchemist. Now this is a real easy class to start with...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:23 am »

Dwarf alchemist was my first win. It's a solid choice, and will serve you well.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 21, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »

Before my current Skeleton Brawler that is a disaster (you really need to find awesome random gloves to have the class shining, most early glove/gauntlets artifacts aren't great), i have been running a Doomed class as i wanted to experiment a bit more with it.

That Doomed was doing well at surviving, but roughly at level 15 i just gave up because i simply had no fun at all.

The shadows themselves are strong, i had 3 of them running around, but the problem with them is that unlike summons that are always usefull in attacking or helping you get some breathing distance between you and a strong enemy, the shadows will do whatever they want, meaning that if you get surprised around a corner by some monster you think is too strong for you alone, the shadows are ... elsewhere doing their stuff while you're taking damage.

Sure once you get the shadow focus skill that is better, but until you able to get it, boring.

Now the damage dealing stuff. Basically you do weak damage with your spells even maxed, and to add insult to injury, all your spells have very low range.

So despite you're not a though class you're basically forced to always get at 3 or 4 tiles from a dangerous enemy (so they will have no problem to shoot at you then) if you hope to deal a bit of damage, additionally you need to keep them on sight so your skil increasing your hate will work instead of constantly decrease.

Fortunately it gets better once you get the Blast power (but it's still damned low range) as it's basically the only serious damage spell you have (it's AOE fortunately so it can help cleaning rooms) but until then, damage will be really weak.

So basically, early game is tedious, boring and not fun, it apparently only get better later but keeping my interest until then was simply impossible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »

Last doomed I ran was rocking pretty well with half-melee, actually. Gestures are decent enough, especially with some solid mindstars behind 'em, and most things died fast enough for my tastes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:54 pm »

Good for you then, i didn't had any fun with this class up to Daikara in which i decided to waste my time with something more interesting.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 21, 2014, 03:01:47 pm »

Honestly shadowless Doomed is a lot more fun IMO.

Still not great, as it's harder to get going, and you need Mental Tyranny, but once you get rolling it's mind-slamming dudes left, right and centre, tanking ALL the hits, turning half the screen into your own Sea of Shadow and running through it at hyper speeds.

Or so I've heard. Never managed to get one to that point. But it definitely sounds and seems [from my limited experience] a ton more fun than a Shadows build.

I'm trying to find something fun to play too, but ever since my Arcane Blade win, everything else seems so... meh. If only every single Flurry didn't take my poor laptop 5 seconds to process... I might start another one still, since I can't find anything else enjoyable to play.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:19 pm »

I'm trying to find something fun to play too, but ever since my Arcane Blade win, everything else seems so... meh.
That may be one of the reason because that doomed was very good despite all those disapointing things i listed, didn't died once up to when i gave up on it, probably when you get a very long run with a character you had fun with, the following can be rather underwhelming.
Though i'm still not sure how to have any fun with a Doomed before midgame, when you have your skills really running.

That skeleton brawler i'm running, despite being a disaster and not really making much use of tactics so far have been a lot of fun to me.
But i guess uppercuting a huge dragon to death can have this effect :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:48:11 pm by Robsoie »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 21, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »

I know what you mean. I went from a dreamforge/psiblade solipsist winner (750+ bump damage) to a poison rogue to unlock marauder (dear god, the constant crits were full of stars, should have sent a poet) to a marauder. Who has terrible luck with weapons. and crits for 150 at level 21 sometimes. It's.... not what I was expecting, what with the name and all.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »

You might well be right, Rob.

But here's my conundrum. If I want to be a big burly dude who hits things with big tough manly weapons, I have basically 3 choices - Berserker, Cursed and Wyrmic. Wyrmic has low damage, and I've already won one. It's quite interesting and has a ton of options, but it's boring by virtue of these two things. Cursed is the most aptly named class in the game because I'll be damned if I ever play another one.

And this leaves me with Berserker. Who is marginally more interesting than cursed, but still has three buttons to use at the most. Your only options as a berserker are A) Hit dudes and B) Not hit dudes.

So what am I supposed to do, start an Adventurer? No problem, but adventurer is clunky. A ton clunkier than a fluid, skill-based system like DCSS's. Which means every time I level up it takes me 5 centuries to spend my points, and I honestly don't know what to combine Berserker with to make a fun melee class. I'm really open to suggestions, btw. Two-handers, high damage, and possibly AoE. If anyone can suggest a combination of trees that makes this I will be really grateful.

I just want to hit things with huge weapons  :'(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 21, 2014, 05:02:35 pm »

You can kill tunnelers? I thought they're immune to every possible thing.

And they have huge amount of HP to boot.

I meant a burrower, my bad.

Well, I don't remember their exact names either. Even if you had said burrower I would've probably asked the same question.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: January 21, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »

I think to enjoy the most Adventurer, you may want to think about what kind of custom class you're trying to build instead of unlocking trees during gameplay.

Now if only the levelup interface code for Adventurer wasn't recalculating constantly every single skills for the hundred of trees you don't even use, making it a real slow/laggy pain to use during the level up sessions.
I hope that will be optimised for further version, Adventurer is so fun for "create your own custom class" , but such a heavy slowdown/lag in the levelup panels ...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: January 22, 2014, 10:15:17 am »

I went into the Maze at level 14 or so... it's the alternate version. The end boss killed my golem twice, almost three times! I would be a goner too if I hadn't grabbed a level of gem portal. Phew.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:13 am »

Yes, the alternate maze is much harder than the regular version, you can meet some rather powerfull enemies (dreaming horror, headless horrors by example along luminous horrors) in there and the lovecraftian thing boss can hit a lot harder than the regular minotaur boss.
Usually when i see i got that alternate, i go to another dungeon to make a level or two more of experience.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: January 22, 2014, 11:59:11 am »

Golem can be rebuilt, let them die :)
Alt maze is a PITA though.

Also, I think someone turned the "zigur patrol" dial up to 11. They're swarming in every game I make these days.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »

That's something that i noticed, adventurers are now rare, but zigur patrols are everywhere.
Surprising they have not yet overwhelmed the orcs in the east :D
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 163