Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473218 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1695 on: January 26, 2014, 03:11:49 am »

Still, i continue to believe when it comes to the Master and his summons -> stair dancing is a bad, very bad idea.
Because if you stair dance to kill his summons one by one, due to him and so his cooldown being reset by your stair dancing, he'll just then summon more and you're back at square zero .

If the hit&run/teleport tactic of attrition against him still can't work for your character, it could simply mean that you're facing that boss too early, and going back to some unexplored optional dungeons is a good idea to get more levels and sometime get better skills that could reverse the situation in no time.

I inclined towards Phase Door runes before, because jumping into a random place can be extremely dangerous when you are already in trouble... but then I remembered the number one rule of roguelikes - don't get into troublesome situation in the first place. I just have to teleport away before I go pass the point of no return!

So I went and tried a teleport rune on my alchemist. I entered Intimidating Cave at level 17... and this hit and run tactics saved my skin, allowing me to escape. My next category point will be used for more inscription slots so I can have two of them to counter bad jumps a little bit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 26, 2014, 04:36:59 am »

In my experience phase door will always get you killed at least twice, UNLESS it's targeted phase door from very high level runes or the conveyance tree. It's also not a terrible idea most places to teleport immediately if a fight looks doubtful, then come back at the encounter prepared. Assuming it's brand new and you can't just run somewhere you've already cleared, of course.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:16 am »

... never thought it'd end this way.

I was in tower level 2, fighting a horror boss. My golem's almost down, so I teleported away. Once there I tried to pull my golem with me... only to be told by the game it's already inactive.

So I used supercharge to bring it back... and then I got TWO of my golems next to me, both at low HP. I thought maybe on next turn things will return to normal; so I used Refit. Right at this moment the boss appeared and killed my golem again.

However, one of the golem tile remains... I moved into it, and two of ME appeared. Then this.

And I was doing so well (only 1 unlucky death at the hands of a snow giant boss)... :'(  With tears I filed the bug report.

Well, at least I went into Temporal Rift and unlocked a new class...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:47 am »

Sometime a bug is not the end of a game.
Try to go out of that level, wait until anything you're affected by disappear and refit the golem, then go back.

There are sure a lot of bugs in the current version, some of the on hit effects from some of the daggers artifact will produce a lot of errors, some bosses will do the same on their own effects.

Hopefully next version it will be fixed

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 26, 2014, 08:57:11 am »

Sometime a bug is not the end of a game.
Try to go out of that level, wait until anything you're affected by disappear and refit the golem, then go back.

There are sure a lot of bugs in the current version, some of the on hit effects from some of the daggers artifact will produce a lot of errors, some bosses will do the same on their own effects.

Hopefully next version it will be fixed

Oh I tried... I can't even move now. Recalling will result in a huge amount of error dialogs each turn. When I tried to save the game client hang.

Searching the forums it seems duplicating golem is not a new thing... people said using refit/supercharge while your golem is under temporal effects will do it, and it sometimes happen in fearscape too.

Edit:

Saved! Apparently the game didn't mess up my save... and I'm back to tower level 1. :o With a new level 2 generated, I'm glad I don't have to run into the same boss again.

Now on entering level 3:

My instinct's screaming at me to stair dance. Put shield up, throw bombs to kill something, run away and repeat. With the whole level unexplored, is teleporting away really a good idea?

Well, I'll at least try and see how much I can kill with my first two bombs...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:05:27 am by kcwong »

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:36 pm »

Got a promising archmage going:

http://te4.org/characters/108819/tome/d0ab38b8-dbf6-49c8-a99b-c802c342cff8

Some questions... is charred scar going to be too hard without movement infusion? Any recommendations for second prodigy (thinking either unbreakable will or cauterize)? And lastly, how should I handle the final boss fight? Last time I got there was with bulwark and I didn't even get Elander to 70% I don't think. Do I just pop shields and arcane avatar then start blasting?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 26, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »

Charred scar isn't really hard at all, per se. You can fail the count down just fine, it just effects some of the stuff during the remainder of the game. Stuff in the way isn't too big of a deal... usually the worst of it is maybe some fire wyrms. S'mostly just hatchlings with the occasional drake, though, iirc, and a smattering of other junk. Elementals, maybe the odd demon.

... that said, it does look like it's somewhat unlikely you'd manage to beat the timer as is. Controlled PD'll help a little, but you've got no movement speed boosters at all (why no essence of speed?), movement infusion or otherwise. You'd probably be fine if you cobbled together all the passive movespeed kit you can* (Dunno if you've been doing it, but I tend to keep stuff like that laying around the fortress storage, just in case) and spammed the CPD, but yeah. Movement infusion would make things more likely, at least.

*You've got boots of speed, which is good. Giving the shops a look to see if they've got nimble leather armor (or if you've got that early game water robe still laying around) and any ms boosting jewelry (Happen to have found and kept feathersteel amulet?) might be an option.

--

Not sure if I'd go with unbreakable will... are you actually having problems with mental effects? Could you go with draconic will instead? Not passive, but more versatile. Roughly the same with cauterize... do you need more defense or more offense? I tend to prioritize the latter, m'self, and you've already got a defensive prodigy. If you have access to meteoric crash, I'd probably recommend that. Eye of the tiger could also be good for an archmage, especially since your crit is already up there. Elemental surge would be fine, too... especially with that arcane focus, another 20% casting speed reduction would give you some hella' dakka, though meteoric crash would probably give even more.

And yeah, for a mage in the final battle you kinda' just pop shields and nuke everything into the ground, s'far as I can remember. Maybe bounce around with CPD and probability travel (if you bother to get it, anyway. Might not be an issue with quicken spells dropping the phase door cooldown.) if you need some room.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 26, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »

Started playing this again. I checked my achievements list and none of my nightmare roguelike achievements appeared. It's odd, since everything else is listed. Aside from that, I like the changes so far. The new archer tree looks nice.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 26, 2014, 06:07:43 pm »

Charred scar isn't really hard at all, per se. You can fail the count down just fine, it just effects some of the stuff during the remainder of the game. Stuff in the way isn't too big of a deal... usually the worst of it is maybe some fire wyrms. S'mostly just hatchlings with the occasional drake, though, iirc, and a smattering of other junk. Elementals, maybe the odd demon.

... that said, it does look like it's somewhat unlikely you'd manage to beat the timer as is. Controlled PD'll help a little, but you've got no movement speed boosters at all (why no essence of speed?), movement infusion or otherwise. You'd probably be fine if you cobbled together all the passive movespeed kit you can* (Dunno if you've been doing it, but I tend to keep stuff like that laying around the fortress storage, just in case) and spammed the CPD, but yeah. Movement infusion would make things more likely, at least.

*You've got boots of speed, which is good. Giving the shops a look to see if they've got nimble leather armor (or if you've got that early game water robe still laying around) and any ms boosting jewelry (Happen to have found and kept feathersteel amulet?) might be an option.

--

Not sure if I'd go with unbreakable will... are you actually having problems with mental effects? Could you go with draconic will instead? Not passive, but more versatile. Roughly the same with cauterize... do you need more defense or more offense? I tend to prioritize the latter, m'self, and you've already got a defensive prodigy. If you have access to meteoric crash, I'd probably recommend that. Eye of the tiger could also be good for an archmage, especially since your crit is already up there. Elemental surge would be fine, too... especially with that arcane focus, another 20% casting speed reduction would give you some hella' dakka, though meteoric crash would probably give even more.

And yeah, for a mage in the final battle you kinda' just pop shields and nuke everything into the ground, s'far as I can remember. Maybe bounce around with CPD and probability travel (if you bother to get it, anyway. Might not be an issue with quicken spells dropping the phase door cooldown.) if you need some room.

Thanks much... I'll look for the MS equipment but not worry too much. Sounds like meteoric crash is a good choice. I don't have draconic will because either sandqueen didn't spawn or it was hidden somewhere far in a corner or something. So I missed out on both hearts. I was considering unbreakable will only because the only thing threatening to me has been status effects, but most of them are physical. Gonna do the valley of the moon and last orc pride before making a go at charred scar.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 26, 2014, 09:45:22 pm »

Geez meteoric crash is ridiculous... insta-gibs everything when it triggers. I found +MS ring and body armor so I managed to do the charred scar without movement infusion. Now I'm just grinding farportals for a few more levels before taking on ending. Hopefully can get my first win.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:08 pm »

Yeeaah... about the only thing (non-brawler, anyway) I'd think would be going flexible combat for damage would be arcane blades. Everything else would be after the status effect stuff gloves can bring to the table, at most. Which can be pretty nice! But more damage than arcane might or something, it would not be. About the only thing I can recall reavers would benefit from in regards to extra blight procs would be... that forth tier talent, iirc. That I'm forgetting the name of. Maybe epidemic, too? Dunno how flexible combat interacts with corrupted strength, hum...

Reaver prodigies... arcane might is probably is a no-brainer. Not really sure what else you would go with, though. Meteoric Crash would be hella' metal, but I think that friendly fires. Which would get you killed, since you fire off most your spells in melee range, but what a way to go...

Endless woes, maybe? Be doing plenty of blight damage over the threshold via corrupted strength, if nothing else. Seems more of a corruptor prodigy, though. Any of the defensive junk would probably be fine, if kinda' boring :P

Windtouched speed might be hilarious(ly unthematic), heh. It'd take some work to get it, though. Fairly sure reavers aren't flat blocked out of investing in harmony and whatnot, anyway...

E: Woah. When did the AI figure out how to use active items? I just notice my golem's using the skeletal claw's bone spear. Derp. Bone spear is not the claw's active, it's the on spell proc and it was being triggered by the laser eyes.

... that's a beautiful image, I think. I guess it'd be... I'unno, flaming bone spikes erupting from the golem's eyes? That is also metal as hell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:01:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:12 am »

Now I'm doing much better damage...

Without crit it's over 600.

Found a vault with lava floor...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://te4.org/characters/110744/tome/317d1102-a7a9-4066-a960-18037735c86c
Now exploring Elven Ruins before going for Dreadfell 9.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:53:52 am by kcwong »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 27, 2014, 06:55:15 pm »

Very nice level of damage as your character is still pre-Master, you should have very few trouble with him this time.

Currently running a Halfling Anorithil , and out of a stupid mistake that made him lose a life , now that Corona and Hymn of Moonlight are on, i'm starting to get the "i am power" feel again, though i'll need to increase some skills and stats a bit more and get more +crits (as even when the the Halfling racial activate i'm still only at +/- 40% for a few turns and +/- 20% only without ) to keep that feeling up , but he seems to be on the good road for victory :)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1708 on: January 27, 2014, 07:55:33 pm »

Hey I installed TOME on windows 7 and I opted for no desktop shortcut. Now, I cant find it anywhere. It's not in program files and when I search for TOME i get some files in my USERS directory but nothing I can run.

I go to control panel to uninstall and there nothing there.

What gives? Anyone had this problem?
I got nothing

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »

Sorry, always ran it from its own folder, til I bought it on Steam. No idea.

After a depressingly stupid (on my part) mid-game, my Thalore Marauder turned into quite a badass. Most of those deaths were complete idiocy of the player, due to lazy arrogance and it being a while since I played a Thalore. Those are probably two of my best randart buys ever, though.

Windblade was amazing, 10/10. Steamroller was a waste, and I wish I had taken something else. The casters you want to kill have just enough health to not go down to one shot, and then teleport, and the bonus was really hard to keep going. Step Up was far, far more reliable. Lesson learned.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 163