Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473292 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1740 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »

And is this intended (as a special effect of the water maybe)? The cursor, shown off to one side and higher, is actually on myself.
Which makes lining up your beams extremely annoying.

That's very likely a bug with the shaders used for that water effect, i remember reading some reports about that on the te4.org board.
Can't say more as i play with all the shader options turned off for better performance.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 03, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

The Far East is surprisingly... empty. Other than orc patrols, I didn't find many locations to explore. Already cleared underwater cave (or something), was told to fight Nagas but from my past encounter with them I'd rather not at this point.

The armory is way too tough; somewhere in level 2 I died instantly once there by getting pulled into lava and surrounded by a bazillion other enemies. Didn't even matter I got my shields up.

Another death at the hands of one orc pyro; I think I'm not too far off from defeating him though.

3 lives left; I went back and started grinding Far Portals.
http://te4.org/characters/110744/tome/317d1102-a7a9-4066-a960-18037735c86c

There are two more zones you could do in the far east before attempting the armory. There's the spider caves (triggered by a conversation at the gates or morning) and the dark crypt. I would suggest doing both, although some folks recommend against doing the crypt on your first time east.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:20 pm »

The East shadow crypt major problem is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:52:42 pm by Robsoie »

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 03, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:42 pm »

The rod of recall should be working, at least it worked the last time i used it there, but you'll have to stay alive for 40 turns before the effect kicks in.

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:34 pm »

Doesn't it stop going if you get hit?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:01 pm »

Nope. it keeps counting down. I had to use it on my necro for the same problem mentioned above, and haven't bothered going back on any character since.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 03, 2014, 10:59:59 pm »

The Far East is surprisingly... empty. Other than orc patrols, I didn't find many locations to explore. Already cleared underwater cave (or something), was told to fight Nagas but from my past encounter with them I'd rather not at this point.

The armory is way too tough; somewhere in level 2 I died instantly once there by getting pulled into lava and surrounded by a bazillion other enemies. Didn't even matter I got my shields up.

Another death at the hands of one orc pyro; I think I'm not too far off from defeating him though.

3 lives left; I went back and started grinding Far Portals.
http://te4.org/characters/110744/tome/317d1102-a7a9-4066-a960-18037735c86c

There are two more zones you could do in the far east before attempting the armory. There's the spider caves (triggered by a conversation at the gates or morning) and the dark crypt. I would suggest doing both, although some folks recommend against doing the crypt on your first time east.

Both cleared; spiders were squished easily, while as mentioned in an earlier post my clone one-shot me because my bomb's still on countdown when the clone was summoned. I returned with my bombs and shields ready and had my revenge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 03, 2014, 11:53:38 pm »

Well. That was silly. Elven ruins. Full power!Sasshy died from three bomb hits. Three. Total. She never hit me. Did a little damage to the golem, but. Yeah.

That was...

... that was a thing. Kinda' a sad thing, though. I'm now sitting on the maxed out crown of burning pain (+35% fire damage!) with a frost-spec'd alchemist. And I picked up firewalker on an earlier level of the ruins, iirc. Between everything, could be looking at a +% fire damage of around 80% (probably higher, actually)... at level 27. Pre-dreadfell. Also a good 30% fire penetration. In comparison, my cold right now is at 56/20, and that's only because I'm running the draconian addon and ended up as a lapis lasuli one giving a passive 20/20 boost. 25% of the remainder is coming from the staff.

What I'm saying is fire is ridiculous in this game :P And alchies remain kinda' silly. Bit boring, but good gods, those delicious numbers.

... also, does anyone know what happens if your golem is wearing kit with a slow projectile effect on it? Half thinking of poking its dex up so it can offhand the stormblade.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:00:31 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:32 pm »

Welp, decided to take the plunge and go for a custom class.

Since I was following SA's Tome 4 thread anyway, decided to try the goon-made Haunted class - clicky - a hate/stamina unarmed grapply feller who stares at people, then teleports and chokes them. Level 14, just choked the sand out of the Sandworm queen, with one death in the assassin tunnels.

The class itself is decently interesting, teleporting in the middle of groups and flinging people left and right is fairly amusing. My problems are more with Grappling itself, since it seems, well, horrible. Debilitating one opponent is fine and dandy, but there's a ton more out there, and their buddies won't take kindly to the act. Enemy grapplers are horrible due to the fact there's one of yourself, mostly [gosh darn paradox mages]. I'm actually not sure which are the custom trees on the grappler, since I've rarely played a Brawler and never a grapply one. The Throws tree is decent, it sort of allows you to hateport in a crowd, then take your hugfriend away and choke him a bit in peace. The one that Attunes [confuses and dazes enemies, supposedly lets you get hate and stamina by hitting them but this part seems kind of broken] all enemies around you is also great.

It seems however it could be best to ignore the grapples and go for the Hit Really Hard talents, and I sort of wish it were a Brawler/Cursed mix without the grapply stuff, but AFAIK the author's idea was to actually make Grappling worth it. Would probably require designing a custom tree that takes all the good grapply stuff and condenses it in one place, also maybe move a tree to generic, since there's nothing worthwhile.

Have any of you messed with other custom classes? Are there any particularly fun ones out there?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »

I've... played quite a few of them, but what one calls "fun" varies, and all that. I liked the mind/pheonix knights (which are/were hilariously overpowered and probably not working in the current version :V), ferex, and the blood knight critter that's actually being updated, but I also like melee mindslayers and yeah. The glutton was glorious(ly silly), especially before it got toned back a bit. Also probably not working in the current version, haha!

Dunno when it was last updated, but the spell...sword? Blade? The arcane blade rework done by H-something. Was pretty solid. Honestly a bit of a shame it never got integrated with the main game.

Mostly I'd just recommend... trying them. All. Just to see if there's anything interesting going on with 'em. Which can be time consuming but eeeeeh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:47 pm »

Currently running my first Paradox Mage, and so far he's been good, didn't died once and i'm now preparing myself for Dreadfell after clearing all the dungeons from my zone order list.
Though he's a Thalore, so i'm behind in leveling and only reached level 22 from killing Urkis.

My first observation was that there are an insane amount of skills making it really hard to choose.

My second observation is that the damage spells are rather weak, that's why you'll need to take several of the attack spell so you can at least get decent damage, fortunately the class has several escape option that help in keeping distance for you so you can cast several damaging spell to kill your target

My third observation is that you finally get a very damaging attack spell when you get to Gravity Well (you know the highly damaging aoe spell that was pinning you when you were in Briarg Lair and ran into gravity worms) and Redux, somewhere between level 12 and 14.

And then once you have those 2 maxed, the Paradox Mage become something to be really feared, as you have still all your good escape skills but instead of having to cast multiple weak ranged spells to kill things, you can now throw one of those strong gravity well that will pin enemies and deal some good damage per turns , lasting for several turns .
Even better, if you cast redux just before, instead of casting only 1 gravity well and wait the cooldown, you can cast 2 gravity well in a sequence (then wait for the cooldown)!

Then you can walk away to get some breath and come back to count the loot from the enemies corpses.

I don't know how this will scale later or during Dreadfell, but at that point of the game i feel confident the character is good.
Only problem with having to max magic and willpower and constitution (constitution to help against the low health gain by levels of the paradox mages to complement the great damage reducing sustains you have) , it's that you have no point left for cunning, meaning it's much harder to get criticals .
So you can only hope for great +cunning items, but as you already need to get +health items, that's not going to happen.

EDIT :

Defeated the Master in Dreadfell in a classic battle of attrition, with double Gravity Well (thanks to Redux), making a paradox clone of myself (splitting the timeline) to help in firepower, teleport away when he surrounds me with his summons, rest and come back , that until he died 2 times.

Then the Ambush, i annihilated quickly the orcs with gravity well and my teleporting around (Dimensional Step) and getting my paradox clone to help. But their boss with its insane amount of health was still standing and hard to hurt.

So i started to build a very high amount of paradox due to how much things i shot him with, it's then that i noticed that only having 1 in Static History was not making me lose paradox points fast enough, so with that guy high health my paradox started to go nuts.

Summoned a bunch of farmer, teleported me randomly and as i was finally near to kill that boss, a last paradox effect exploded me , and from the log, it killed the boss too.
Unfortunately the game counted that situation as if the ambush was successful against me despite there was no more orcs, so the staff was taken from me.

On my trip back to Last Hope, i ran into the Crypt, i decided to give a try and to my surprise completed it and saved Melinda, there were several hard situation, but the Paradox Mage can get out of so many thing it's impressive (and summoning treants from the Thalore racial is always another helpful additional escape helper)

So far, the guy has reached level 26, going soon to Reknor, i'm already bored just thinking of those very long and similar looking uninteresting Reknor levels.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:55:01 pm by Robsoie »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 09, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »

Yeah I lost another zerker to bump impatience so I'm trying another Thalore paradox mage, but skipping the gravity tree and going for the gimmicky temporal stuff. I picked up celestial/Light and decided to spend a cat point on it in lieu of another inscription slot because it basically covers 3 inscriptions (shield, direct heal, another debuff purge) so I won't have points to spend in the later temporal mastery stuff, but I'm banking on dimensional step and slows to cover me. We'll see how this goes.

I think I could get to really like chronomancers, especially given what a badass my warden turned into by endgame. Getting there while staying focused is the big problem, but I like their mobility tricks a great deal.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:52 am »

... so is it just me, or is the sludgenest the most annoying thing currently in T4? Freaking spawn rate in that hellhole is just high enough it's basically impossible to autoexplore or actively rest. I just want to press z, damnit, but the z does nothing ;_;

Utterly ridiculous amounts of loot, though.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 163