Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702508 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #585 on: June 14, 2011, 04:06:42 am »

Hmmm, not sure if I can write horror up very well, but I could give it a go.  Personally I think my strong suit is romance writing, but I don't think there is much of a calling for that in RTD land.  Anywho your job is to sell me on the idea and make me want to DM it more than the other guy's idea.  I'm hoping for some ideas I haven't thought of, but we'll see I suppose.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:17 am »

...Selling's something I'm not good at. :-\ Then again you might as well consider it if no one else offers a setting you like better. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 14, 2011, 04:40:25 am »

Hmmm... let's see how many I can think of on the fly...

Here's one.

The year is 3626, and Humanity is at war. Allied with hundreds of other alien races, Humanity was and still is what was once a great alliance of races, defending against a huge extra-galactic empire, named the Isshar. They fought for 200 years, but system by system, planet by planet, many of the races that were in the alliance have become extinct, or severely reduced. Almost all homeworlds have been glassed or outright destroyed, with Earth is on it's way. The Isshar have already reached the military system of Sirius (which, in case you are too lazy to look up in wikipedia, is the 5th closest star to Sol), and have severely battered almost all defenders. Nearly all other nearby systems were not prepared for the war coming this close, and only have basic defenses. In addition, our seventh through second fleets are gone and our first is almost unfit for fighting. All we can do is fight a guerrilla war, and evacuate. The players play the role of special forces that fly on the UESF (United Earth Special Forces) Raptor class Destroyer Ballista, fighting quick engagements against many Isshar installations and extracting VIPs or other important things like prototype weapons, armors, shields... The players will have very little support throughout the game (the Ballista is hardly enough to even go against an Isshar Frigate, and it'd come out severely damaged. In addition, the Ballista was not designed for troop transport, so it contains little space for personnel, so the players get little friendlies.), and each time they go somewhere they should have very little time to lollygag about before they start getting into trouble.

Pros:
Gritty storyline, giving players a sense of doing as much damage as they can for the sake of humanity, possibly committing suicide.
Futuristic, do whatever you want with technology.
Players have little time to mess about, and thus will do their damn missions.
Players can do alien races, but are encouraged to do humans (you should have a bit of raciest dialog if the majority of players are alien for flavor).
Players will have to protect their main ship, the Ballista, and care for it. Anti-ship gun shooting at it? Destroy it or you're stuck on the planet! It took a salvo in the FTL engine and can't activate or repair it? Gonna have to steal a replacement.
Planets can be in any number of states: Fine, evacuating, under attack, being glassed, or being destroyed. Pretty much whatever you want.
Late in the future, many technologies can be put in with reasonable believability.
Enemies more advanced than players. Players are encouraged to try out new technology. Whether or not they can figure out to use them is up to a dice roll maybe?

Cons:
Sci-fi, meaning magic needs some tweaking in order for it to make any sense in the game.
If you're not used to making your players fear death, then this may be hard to GM the way it's supposed to be (AKA, players need to be careful). If it's not hard enough, players won't feel a sense of danger for them and humanity throughout the game.

Kinda a sort of "This should be GM'd this way" sort of idea but... well, sorry, I just can't help myself, and I have a headache or fever right now, and it's pretty late, so am not at 100% full mental capacity right now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 14, 2011, 05:08:59 am »

Hmmm, not sure if I can write horror up very well, but I could give it a go.  Personally I think my strong suit is romance writing, but I don't think there is much of a calling for that in RTD land.  Anywho your job is to sell me on the idea and make me want to DM it more than the other guy's idea.  I'm hoping for some ideas I haven't thought of, but we'll see I suppose.
Combine the two. Yandere RTD gogogo!

Anyway, if you're looking for truly esoteric ideas, I might be able to help. I'll have to think about it some, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2011, 05:10:12 am »

Oh god, this'll be horrid/awesome.

Especially if I do happen to be part of the horrors.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:58 am »

Damnit, I can't get AsciiDraw to work. I'd kinda need it or something similar for my Bounty Hunter RTD - I've got Cover and different weapon Ranges, which are a bit harder to show with text only. Oh well, still going to keep them in.

I'm pretty much ready with it now. I've got background story ready, starting weapons and equipment available for the three backgrounds ready, the combat system ready, plenty of different mission ideas ready, templates for character statuses, etc etc. Probably going to start it tonight.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 14, 2011, 08:07:53 am »

As long as I can get a spot reserved for it. I won't be around to join it, it's late here and I'm heading to sleep soon.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:56 am »

I like it. Sign me up.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:19 am »

Here it is. I'm not terribly happy with the first post, but oh well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 14, 2011, 11:52:01 am »

I call a spot in that Draignean

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:59 pm »

Combine the two. Yandere RTD gogogo!

Anyway, if you're looking for truly esoteric ideas, I might be able to help. I'll have to think about it some, though.
Color me intrigued, go on.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »

I mean, SERIOUSLY, that huge sheet means GIGANTIC rules.

That is going to kill someone, some time. Likely you when you have to go through a turn or the players signing up...

Actually the rules compress much more easily than you would think, hell it's actually faster for me to use than the D-22 rule set. No actual bonus pints to add.

For instance if you were possessing a mortal involved in high-speed pursuit you add your drive skill and dexterity attribute together, then roll that many dice. The difficulty level would be then opposing driver's Drive skill+4. For every die that rolls a number of above the difficulty level for the action you get a success, the more success the better.

Anyway, I'm continuing writing now.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #597 on: June 14, 2011, 03:55:39 pm »

I have an idea that's prety insane. Players get their choice of inventory, and are slammed inside the middle of X city. They then must go on a killing spree, earning points for stylish kills. For example, spraying a small group of thugs with a machine gun might score you 1000 points, but kick a guy off a skyscraper, jump down after him and crushing him could earn you a LOT more-like 20000. Players have 25 turns, the winner moves to the next city and the losers are sent to the waiting room. If you cycle in four player groups, it could be fun.

...Actually, I think I might run this. Thoughts?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 14, 2011, 03:58:04 pm »

I have an idea that's prety insane. Players get their choice of inventory, and are slammed inside the middle of X city. They then must go on a killing spree, earning points for stylish kills. For example, spraying a small group of thugs with a machine gun might score you 1000 points, but kick a guy off a skyscraper, jump down after him and crushing him could earn you a LOT more-like 20000. Players have 25 turns, the winner moves to the next city and the losers are sent to the waiting room. If you cycle in four player groups, it could be fun.

...Actually, I think I might run this. Thoughts?
Sounds intresting then after you get four winners you could pit them against each other, adn see who wins in a straight out fight between them. Also you could have people in the waiting lsit fight for who gets in in a certain order.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:07 pm »

Like Bulletstorm? Sounds like it might be a fun diversion. Not sure if I'd join since I don't really like playing PvP but I'd keep an eye on it. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 661