Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702285 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1710 on: October 15, 2011, 10:33:52 pm »

Jeez, Irony, you know how to flatter a guy. ;D I do like that classification system though. It makes it easier to picture what kind of enemy you're going up against. I mean I could easily classify all eight current Cv characters right now:

Heavy Armored: Malleus, Frenz
Heavy Mobile: Biernat, Pierre
Light Armored: Claire, Zathyran
Light Mobile: Greenmoore, Wymar

Maybe you should have the minor bonuses apply to standard weapons, and then if you get a special or named weapon or whatever, it would have a high bonus but a minor penalty? To keep using Cv examples...

Cutlass: +1 Light / +1 Armored
Rosara Cutlass: +3 Light / +2 Armored / -2 Heavy / -1 Mobile

That way it's still a total of +1 / +1, sort of...
That makes since as certain weapons are more fit to taking on armored opponents while others for unarmored foes. Also may I suggest that the armor gives a rank for mobility, and armor score (1-10, 1 being fast no armor, and 10 being slow plate-mail, chain-mail, leather armor, and the whole fifteen yards.) to decide whether they are armored, or mobile

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 16, 2011, 01:39:45 am »

Maybe you should have the minor bonuses apply to standard weapons, and then if you get a special or named weapon or whatever, it would have a high bonus but a minor penalty? To keep using Cv examples...

Cutlass: +1 Light / +1 Armored
Rosara Cutlass: +3 Light / +2 Armored / -2 Heavy / -1 Mobile

That way it's still a total of +1 / +1, sort of...
I don't think giving every special/named weapon severe stats like that would be necessary, but I'm fine with highly unusual ones (whether by material or construction) having bizarre modifiers, at least to a point. I just don't (think I) want every weapon to have both a bonus and malus by default.

Incidentally, I'm also fine with specific weapon types (or possibly materials) having much different stats than usual for their general class, especially if it's a very broad category like swords. So if someone can convince me that a knobbed or flanged mace should have different properties from a "normal" one, that's fine.

That makes since as certain weapons are more fit to taking on armored opponents while others for unarmored foes. Also may I suggest that the armor gives a rank for mobility, and armor score (1-10, 1 being fast no armor, and 10 being slow plate-mail, chain-mail, leather armor, and the whole fifteen yards.) to decide whether they are armored, or mobile
Hell no. I'm deliberately trying to keep it simple so it doesn't get all bogged down. That also means layered armor probably won't exist, but if it does it'll probably be a separate, pre-built type rather than just putting on multiple sets of existing armor.

Mind you, I would like it if there was some way to differentiate between wearing full plate and wearing full plate except for a light leather cap that gives the same defense as a full plate helm, but I couldn't think of a good way to implement some kind of parallel Dodge/Absorb system for that. Every other way it could matter that I could think of was either useless (usually because it made wearing mixed armor types completely worthless) or too complex.

I also considered giving armor some sort of literal mobility thing, so wearing full plate impacts your ability to move around or something, but couldn't think of a simple enough system. This is partially because then I'd also have to make lighter armor weaker to compensate for giving you more freedom to move around in, which is all kinds of messy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:59 am »

Totally understand that, dude. I kinda boned myself on that one. Maybe you could have a dodge/defense mechanic? Say, this armor gives you so much of a chance to dodge an attack, and blocks this much damage? That way you could have leather be, I dunno, 4/2, and plate be 1/6, or something like that. Or you could have being Armored give penalties to some types of rolls, like climbing and jumping gaps and whatnot.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 16, 2011, 03:49:17 am »

I don't want dodging and damage blocking to work on the same attack, because then they tend to stack multiplicitavely (meaning there's no reason not to mix different types). I also don't want damage and attack rolls to be separate for complexity issues.

Having each piece of armor give two separate defense values runs into similar issues. There's also the fact that most of a piece's defense value will come from material and quality rather than type (there probably won't be any types you'd only use because you have nothing better, for instance).

As I've said, I did originally plan for there to be two separate defense values, one for lighter, dodgier armor and one for heavier, more damage absorption armor, but I couldn't make it work without being overly complex.

So, that's not likely. Penalties to movement rolls could work, but then I'd need to find something to penalize on lighter armors.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:42 am »

The most obvious answer would be to have Mobile types take more damage. I can see a Heavy Mobile being like a dwarven berserker who just runs out in plainclothes with an axe in each hand. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that's not what you want... Maybe you could classify only the enemies by such types and make the PC's stuff a little more uniform. That way you only have to worry about how much damage enemies do and what PCs will do to them based on their type. A bit of a lazy solution, perhaps, but at this time of night it's all I've got. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 16, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »

Alright, pure fluff issue. Plus some pacing questions. And I'm still interested in any of the other stuff, like what weapons should be strong/weak against what.

Basically, crafting skills are tracked numerically. When a crafting roll is made, the result is the same as their skill level 40% of the time, and one above or below 20% of the time each. In other words, if someone has +2 skill, they can make +1, +2, or +3 items.

I had intended to give each skill level DF-style names (Adequate, Skilled, etc), but I can't really think of an appropriate scale. So, given the standard set of DF quality levels:

Normal+0
-Well-Made-+1
+Fine++2
*Superior*+3
≡Exceptional≡+4
☼Masterful☼+5

...plus one or two items below Normal (Shoddy or similar), what would a good skill level name be for each level up to Exceptional? For instance, someone "at" Superior level would produce Fine (20%), Superior (40%), or Exceptional (20%) items; so what should that be called?

Secondly, you might have noticed that there's not a whole lot of skill levels by this system. I've been thinking about adding in intermediary levels that give some lesser bonus, so as to make leveling skills less jumpy. Thoughts on that?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 17, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »

I got a funny idea - an RTD where you play as a giant. A mountain-sized human/titan who's just awakened, in a relatively advanced world (steampunk sounds about right. I mean, come on now, imagine airships milling around you shooting full broadsides, just like little flies). Naturally, to make it in any way challenging there would be other massive/just powerful creatures waking up everywhere around the world at the same time. The area you wake in (and which you carry on your shoulders/body) would have different effects - for example, mountains or similar wilderness granting extra armor, underwater (ie, no terrain at all) providing something else, with city or otherwise urbanized area being a real wild card.

I just literally came up with this idea a few minutes ago, so I haven't planned at all yet. It might be more interesting just to set it on a titan who's awakened under the players' city and taken a nice chunk with it.

EDIT: Woah, planning a city across a humanoid body is fun!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:33:03 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 17, 2011, 02:20:27 pm »

I would love that especially playing a Giant with a city on his back filled with citizens who love the giant, and who help it fend off attackers.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »

I was thinking a RTD Survival Game would be really neat to play. Not one of those zombie apocalypse survival games, but one where you are all stranded on an island, and have to survive, and hopefully one day make it off the island. You would gather supplies such as food, water, and building materials, so you could survive another day, and build varying constructions like a Lean-To, a pit trap, or a small log hut. Of course no RTD is finished without combat, so I figured at night either hostile Tribals, predators, or some other form of creature would have a chance to attack the camp.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:02 am »

I got a funny idea - an RTD where you play as a giant. A mountain-sized human/titan who's just awakened, in a relatively advanced world (steampunk sounds about right. I mean, come on now, imagine airships milling around you shooting full broadsides, just like little flies). Naturally, to make it in any way challenging there would be other massive/just powerful creatures waking up everywhere around the world at the same time. The area you wake in (and which you carry on your shoulders/body) would have different effects - for example, mountains or similar wilderness granting extra armor, underwater (ie, no terrain at all) providing something else, with city or otherwise urbanized area being a real wild card.

I just literally came up with this idea a few minutes ago, so I haven't planned at all yet. It might be more interesting just to set it on a titan who's awakened under the players' city and taken a nice chunk with it.

EDIT: Woah, planning a city across a humanoid body is fun!

Titan City! *thumbs up from me*

I was thinking a RTD Survival Game would be really neat to play. Not one of those zombie apocalypse survival games, but one where you are all stranded on an island, and have to survive, and hopefully one day make it off the island. You would gather supplies such as food, water, and building materials, so you could survive another day, and build varying constructions like a Lean-To, a pit trap, or a small log hut. Of course no RTD is finished without combat, so I figured at night either hostile Tribals, predators, or some other form of creature would have a chance to attack the camp.

Survival is fun. Would be cool, although you'd need some sort of twist as plain survivals tend to get boring real quick. *'nother thumbs up*
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:29 am »

Roll to be the GM This Turn? Would it just be a big mess?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 23, 2011, 11:00:02 am »

If the GM changed for every turn it would be a random mess, but I was thinking we could do longer periods. Say, 5 or so turns? We should also probably make the world a Multiworld Madness-ish portal-land not to limit GM's to specific settings.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:09 am »

Would (how much would) it need an overarching plot and rules?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 23, 2011, 12:03:03 pm »

Rules should be easy-to-use and flexible. A simple 1d6 system for most stuff, melee combat resolved by opposing dice rolls (loser takes damage) and ranged combat a bit different (the melee system makes zero sense in firefights) with HP. Possibly a simple skill/XP system, if that's needed.

We could just do a generic 'players search for pieces of _____' across different worlds or a single world for the plot. Though I think it might be interesting to make it 'players combat and investigate interdimensional/just large-scale conspiracy' with consistent Big Bad and lesser bad guys they'd chase through time and space.

Really, I just want a portal-land setting so I could use my Titan-city idea from earlier. >_>

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:38 pm »

Hm... would be like RTD Wars...
>:D
I could start if you wouldn't mind ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 661