Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702320 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1875 on: November 07, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »

I don't even understand how this devolved this quickly. Nivm may have been right about attention spans. :P

Yes, I was planning/thinking of doing Endless RTD in Power Rangers style. Three people said YES DO THAT, then someone said WAIT WE NEED A UNIFIED SYSTEM, then everyone got confused somehow. This somehow resulted in Gatleos being volunteered for starting it using a universe-shunting A-Team instead.

I don't even.

Anyway, I still prefer Power Rangers to time-traveling mercs. I suppose either is pretty flexible, but I think Power Rangers has an extra level of "Because rangers work that way" for padding, which I like.

For combat, I generally go with attacker d6 - defender d6 = damage. That makes two rolls per combatant, but it's usually not too onerous, and lets you give bonuses to attack or defense separately. For a one-combat ranged roll, you could just ignore results where the defender wins, though that'd probably require ranged combat to be significantly weaker to compensate for the inability to lose while using it.

Finally, I'm also willing to be the index. I don't think there's any particular reason for a third party for that, since they'd presumably be less interested in it than a current/former GM/player.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »

Ok, so I'm back. I require your help and would be grateful for any input you give me.

The main issue is this:
The basic setup has very little customisation, you pick your species and a name and go. So I have decided to add some more customization into the mix. The rough idea was you have a personal talent and a bloodline talent. Personal talents are, well, personal, meaning you happen to have them as a fluke of nature. They may vary from physical to physchic, meaning that a certain creature in a family may be psychic but not the whole family. Bloodline talents are inherited, and if you found any relations of yours they would likely have them.

I'm leaning towards Personal talents being free for the player to make up, and there being a set of Bloodline talents available. Tell me what you think.

'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: November 07, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »

@Irony: Frankly I prefer MMPR as well simply because it hasn't been done before. And I'm nostalgic that way. ^^^
@Tomato: That's a good idea, but you want to make sure Personal talents aren't overly powerful. Bloodline can be a little more so since there's nothing to stop multiple players from having them, which means it'll balance itself out, but the bulk of the abilities should probably come from the creature itself. That's my opinion, anyway.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1878 on: November 07, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

Aw man, I already had an insane story involving Hitler written up. :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't say I don't agree with the Power Rangers premise having an extra layer of "absurdity insurance", though. Whaddaya think?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 07, 2011, 05:16:28 pm »

Aw man, I already had an insane story involving Hitler written up. :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't say I don't agree with the Power Rangers premise having an extra layer of "absurdity insurance", though. Whaddaya think?

Ooooh.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: November 07, 2011, 05:24:35 pm »

I have to admit, that story is beautiful.

I'm not entirely sure where it'd go from there, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1881 on: November 07, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »

That's the point. They find a trans-dimensional portal inside and proceed to have wacky antics in alternate dimensions while chasing Hitler. It could go anywhere with that premise.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: November 07, 2011, 05:40:04 pm »

That's the point. They find a trans-dimensional portal inside and proceed to have wacky antics in alternate dimensions while chasing Hitler. It could go anywhere with that premise.
Two words.

Steampunk Hitler.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: November 08, 2011, 05:30:07 am »

The Power Rangers idea would be pretty inaccessible for people not familiar with the show. I'm all for a generic superpowered team, though, but we shouldn't set this RTD in an existing setting. Gotta say I like time-travelling/dimension-hopping Hitler more, but maybe the two could be combined? Superpowered team chasing Hitler through time and space?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:02 am »

Hitler...Steampunk...Alternate Universes...Portals...DO IT!!!
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: November 08, 2011, 05:34:56 am »

Well yeah, I was more just excited about the general premise, you know, team of heroes in bright costumes running around kicking butt in over-the-top, cheesy fight scenes? I haven't watched the show in years, so I wouldn't really know much about the setting anyway. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 08, 2011, 05:36:16 am »

Agreed with Yoink (and although I don't want to speak for him, I think Derm would agree too) that basically it'd be just a sentai team as opposed to the actual rangers. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: November 08, 2011, 05:40:03 am »

Meh...not really a fan of sentai or rangers...Have fun though.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1888 on: November 08, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Remember, if we went with my setting I would only be controlling the first part of the story. You could Sentai it up all you wanted after that.

So. A few things. Should we have a separate discussion thread? That might be a good idea for a project of this size. Who the hell is starting the thread and indexing the turns? Which system are we using? I'd go with Irony's.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:32 am »

Gat, I suppose you can start it up.

Super-Sentai-AntiHitler-Time-Force GO!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 661