Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699535 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1980 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:03 pm »

Ok guys I am planning on starting a WWII Marine Raiders RTD. But I have a problem, I can't think of a decent combat system. So I was wondering if anyone could give me an example of a somewhat simple system that wouldn't be hell to do at a common basis.
Roll to see if the person hits the enemy, then roll for damage.

Example being Player 1 Shoots at Bad Guy 1.
They roll a 5, so they hit a somewhat important body part. But they roll a 1 so the shot only wings them.

Or alternatively you can just do a system where the attacker rolls against the defender, and whoever has the highest roll wins.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 12, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

Ok guys I am planning on starting a WWII Marine Raiders RTD. But I have a problem, I can't think of a decent combat system. So I was wondering if anyone could give me an example of a somewhat simple system that wouldn't be hell to do at a common basis.
Roll to see if the person hits the enemy, then roll for damage.

Example being Player 1 Shoots at Bad Guy 1.
They roll a 5, so they hit a somewhat important body part. But they roll a 1 so the shot only wings them.

Or alternatively you can just do a system where the attacker rolls against the defender, and whoever has the highest roll wins.

I had already planned to do something like that. My bad I wasn't specific enough. How would I calculate damage is what I really would like to ask?
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: November 12, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »

Maybe you could have guns do a set amount of damage. Like if your players have, I dunno, 10 HP max and you want a rifle to do fairly high damage, if the attacker hits it always deals 4 damage. If you wanted to get complex you could use range as well with some guns doing the same damage at all ranges and some performing better at close quarters, like a shotgun might do 7 or 8 up close but 1 or 2 far away. There's also locational damage to consider if you wanted to use that instead of hard numbers; a head shot would basically always be an instant kill, a few shots to the torso would be a kill and even one shot would impair most tasks, a shot to the arm would impair aiming, a shot to the leg would impair movement, etc., although I'm not sure how to break it down. Maybe on a hit you'd roll a d100 with 1-12 left leg, 13-24 right leg, 25-36 left arm, 37-48 right arm, 49-90 torso, 91-100 head shot? You could also customize that for guns, too. A shotgun might hit multiple targets on a shot, or a sniper rifle might have a higher chance to hit the head, so forth.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 13, 2011, 01:54:53 am »

Darvi, you're still alive?
Why are people so fucking surprised about that? It's not like I could die or something :V
DAAAAAMN.
So he missed??!! I must fire him!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 13, 2011, 02:01:44 am »

Darvi, you're still alive?
Why are people so fucking surprised about that? It's not like I could die or something :V
DAAAAAMN.
So he missed??!! I must fire him!
Next time, hire Theia's relatives. Trust me when I say that they will get the job done 100% of the time on anything short of a planet.

So much pain...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: November 13, 2011, 02:04:26 am »

:P

Anyone who didn't get the joke read up on Tarran and astronomical history  : P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 13, 2011, 05:10:19 am »

Anyway, I figured I would let you guys know how it's coming along since I'm taking the weekend off from my RTDs. (Everyone's playing Skyrim anyway, so I figure I can let them be for the moment. :P)

FE RTD Progression:

Backstory & Introductory Post: 1% (Have an idea, haven't written anything)
Countries: 0% (Working on the plot later; for now I'm ironing out the mechanics)
Rules: ?% (No work done, but will likely just be recycled from CvRTD)
Stats: 100%? (Not sure if I like them yet. I'll have to wait until I finish the classes and run a test battle or two to see how it goes.)
Class Trees: 19% (Primal tree is mostly completed but may need refinement; basic ideas wrote down for four other trees. Considering adding a sixth but not sure what it would be; I already have Recruit, Thief, Cavalier, Student, and Primal to cover pretty much everything.)
Combat: ?% (Will be worked on once I'm certain of classes and stats; if they don't work then combat won't either)
Skills: 0% (This is also dependent on classes. Once I'm done listing what classes get what skills, I'll fill this part out with them. For example the Assassin evolution of Thief would have Silencer, which is a small chance to just instantly kill the opponent.)
Weapons: 10% (I have a few ideas I've jotted down concerning how weapons will work; mainly there will be weapon types like shortswords or maces, and weapon quality which affects how good the weapon is, even if it's not strictly realistic. A bronze longsword is not as good as an iron one, for example. There will also be a few prefix/suffix weapons that are extremely rare. A killer iron axe won't be as good in most ways as a steel axe, but it will have a higher crit chance.)

There may be other considerations I've yet to think of, but currently that's where I'm at.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 13, 2011, 11:07:58 am »

Serious, there is one important thing to take into consideration with the FE RTD: Often in FE, the larger scale battles just work because you have so many individual recruits. What's your plan for the top amount of players/recruits at a time? 8 would be reasonable I suppose, and with the three-tier class system, create a hefty amount of diversity.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 13, 2011, 11:16:00 am »

I think we should opt for the FE4 approach when it comes to the amount of usable units.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 13, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »

You could have it where each player could have an amount of people who came with them to help in their adventure. At first they wouldn't have any of them, but once they reached their first town they could hire a mercenary (Which would cost money for each battle), convince a guardsman to help you in your quest, or any number of other ways.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: November 13, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »

No adwarf. You are the mercenaries.

And then adwarf was a Recruit.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: November 13, 2011, 12:33:09 pm »

And then adwarf was a dwarf.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: November 13, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

And then adwarf was a dwarf.
Oh ya I win  8)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 13, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »

And then he got nommed by the obligatory dragon end-boss.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 13, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »

And then he got nommed by the obligatory dragon end-boss.
Nope I just threw sand at it, and it died. Thats how it always end :P
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 661