Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699522 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2205 on: November 21, 2011, 05:27:07 am »

What exactly did you mean?
I meant "what part(s) of it make it a Diablo RTD as opposed to something else?"

Also, like OotK you say? How much like OotK? Similar crafting rules?

1/ Any interest?

2/ The original idea was partly inspired by a book, and partly inspired by SC’s Roll to Alter – I was wondering how to make an interesting and different team game. So I was thinking either to have four players working on their own, or two teams of three, with the lowest scoring player on the losing side being dinosaur hunting dutied. A bit like The Apprentice I guess. The only thing is, I don’t know how well it would work in teams.

Or I suppose I could try my hand at something serious and fantasy-y.
1. Dunno. Seems like it could be interesting, but the lack of long-term progress or goals is a bit off-putting to me. I suspect it's the kind of game where it wouldn't hurt to play a round or two, but that you're not really invested in.

2. I suspect teams wouldn't work so well, if only because it'd either discourage going off and doing your own crazy thing, or basically accomplish nothing since you'd all be working solo anyway.

3. Do it anyway. :I
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2206 on: November 21, 2011, 05:35:31 am »

It's true adwarf is guilty of that, but some of us don't stop, believing~ hold on to that feeling~ street lights, people~
Yeah great, thanks. Journey. Stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

So, uhh... Imma quit clogging up the RTD brainstorming thread with my RP talk and just start the thread already, if everybody's good with what we've got now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:01 am »

1. Dunno. Seems like it could be interesting, but the lack of long-term progress or goals is a bit off-putting to me. I suspect it's the kind of game where it wouldn't hurt to play a round or two, but that you're not really invested in.

3. Do it anyway. :I

Thanks Irony.

1. Hmm. Yes. You're right about the long-term progress/goals. Hmm. It seems a bit pointless now really, but I haven't been able to get rid of the idea for about a month. I don't think I'm very good at long-term progress/goals. Anyway, I guess "not hurting to play it" isn't really an ideal to aim for ;)

2. You're probably right about the teams, too, thanks. I can't remember why I got fixated on that idea, reading Roll to Alter I guess.

3. Yeah dunno.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: November 21, 2011, 05:41:11 am »

It's true adwarf is guilty of that, but some of us don't stop, believing~ hold on to that feeling~ street lights, people~
Yeah great, thanks. Journey. Stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

So, uhh... Imma quit clogging up the RTD brainstorming thread with my RP talk and just start the thread already, if everybody's good with what we've got now.

You're welcome & DO EET WHILE I'M STILL ONLINE :p
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 21, 2011, 05:50:10 am »

1. Hmm. Yes. You're right about the long-term progress/goals. Hmm. It seems a bit pointless now really, but I haven't been able to get rid of the idea for about a month. I don't think I'm very good at long-term progress/goals. Anyway, I guess "not hurting to play it" isn't really an ideal to aim for ;)
Hm. If you really want to do it, I guess you should find a way to make it work. Trouble is, it's hard to figure something out that doesn't interfere with the basic premise.

Like, you could make players part of/leaders of their own tribe/totem/philosophy/etc., and make the inventions benefit them somehow with that, but then you might run into conflicts between what their tribe needs/has a use for/would be thematically appropriate to invent, and what that round's goal is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 21, 2011, 08:11:18 am »

Good lord go to sleep and everyone goes to town over things I got too lazy to read.

I join most RTD's right when they're posted due to Voodoo. Well, I have the option to.

Same method I use to post right after someone else does.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:51 am »

I'm hardly a god.

Oh, you're far too modest! Here, let me give you a massage. Do you prefer scented or non-scented oils?

I'm too afraid to buy anything at all in front of people, in all honesty. Hell, I'm a very shy person.

And yet, you still have the courage to stand up and continue the Dragon RTD! That's less "Shy" and more "Spartan-like"...I will do my best to follow your examples, and bring glory to Bay12! Onwards, we ride!

I used to be scared... Not anymore. Don't worry, this site is very friendly. You'll soon realize that everyone is quite friendly.

Yes, this site is incredibly friendly. Most places on the internet are either cesspools or cesspools waiting to happen. The only time that I've been punished here was when I was being a rude idiot and calling people names. And yet, I'm still forgiven. I don't know if I deserve Bay12...

Making a story is hardly necessary.

Also, there was a RTD about cats a while before. No, really, somewhere deep in the RTD pages is a cat RTD. It died, for some reason (I... think the GM just abandoned it or something), but it still existed. It had no story and was just plain silly... yet... I played it. I certainly wouldn't play it ever again, but I did play it back then. So a cat RTD is certainly not an absolutely bad idea.

Wow. I'm actually pretty surprised...I never thought that somebody would actually make an RTD about cats! It must have been pretty boring. Yes, I do love cats, but not enough to dedicate my time into forging an RTD about one...I do believe that, to draw proper players, a good story will be at least a bit necessary. Who wants to join an RTD made by a newbie that didn't even write up a simple back-story? Not many, I'll assure you of that!

Well, it wouldn't be "generic" per se, and I don't know that it would be any more "fun" than usual, but I'm trying to work out the rules for a magic-heavy adventure/RPG-ish game right now, so that could be up eventually. It... wouldn't really be "simple," though a lot of its complexity could be mostly ignored without too many side effects.

Hmm...It sounds like my type of thing! I may not exactly be the brightest light-bulb around, but I can understand some techno-talk. It sounds very interesting, and if you make one, I'll sign up! Even if I'm five hours too late and the entire wait list is filled...I shall prevail! Heheheh.

Trust me, worst case you'll learn how to make a better game next time. Also, baking is easy, you should start. Or at least, baking from mix is easy; from scratch takes a fair amount of time and effort, but still not too bad.

That's in the worst case...The best case doesn't exactly look that bright either. I could give it a shot (I guess), but...Oh, I don't know. Maybe another month of lurking...Maybe.

Oh, I can bake from mix (Who can't?), but doing it from "Scratch" is where the troubles lie. The last batch of cookies I made tasted like dirt. Strange...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

I'm hardly a god.

Oh, you're far too modest! Here, let me give you a massage. Do you prefer scented or non-scented oils?

Dave, I just have to say that you could be a great comedic writer judging from your posts and responses in this thread. I'm constantly cracking up at things like this.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 21, 2011, 01:34:18 pm »

As regards the Cat RTD idea...

A while back a friend of mine sent me this little pdf about a Cat RPG. I'm kicking myself for not saving it because evidently some other Cat RPG sued the pants off them for having the same name, but the gist of it was the players are cats, protecting humans from invisible soulstealing ghosts that cause bad vibes, or somesuch. The idea was that anytime you see a cat apparently staring at nothing or swatting at air or doing anything strange, it's because they're fighting invisible ghosts for your benefit. So yeah, CatRPG is totally a thing, and would probably make a hilarious RTD.

As regards the "encourage the new guy" (lord knows we could use some more GM's up in here,) I will say that you hardly need a grand, epic, hundred page thread to have an enjoyable game. Think of an amusing little idea and an objective and roll with it! That's basically how the Harold and Kumar franchise got launched, no reason it wouldn't work with an RTD.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:23 pm »

Wanna bet that somebody would somehow manipulate the cat-game recreate the plot of Felidae?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 21, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »

Wanna bet that somebody would somehow manipulate the cat-game recreate the plot of Felidae?

Now I want to see a cat with a little Sherlock Homes hat and a pipe.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »

Note that I don't actually advise doing so since we want things to stay clean around here.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 21, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »

Just a note here, Roll to Hack Reloaded is starting up, if you're an old player you get dibs on spots. :P

Plus, I need ideas/suggestions for it, am I missing anything obvious?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »

Yeah, we're not an exclusive club that turns people away. As long as one has basic courtesy, and one doesn't get into a habit of making and abandoning games by the dozens like my friend Adwarf did, there is nothing that will cause us to be less than friendly.

er.

Anyway. Yeah, even in that case we don't hold grudges, really. We might get disappointed but it's not like we dislike adwarf or something stupid like that.
I will admit that at that time I wasn't the best of GMs, and I still am not a good GM. (Earlier it was Partially due to my laziness, and sheer ability to suddenly get demotivated, but mostly, because of all the stuff that was going on with my family), but since then I have gotten better (And so has the five hundred family problems, and massive amount of stress I used to have), and I am getting better as a GM each time I update.

@ - Dave1004 - Just keep your first game simply, and the player count low (6 is my suggestion), and you will do just fine.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 21, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

Yeah, we're not an exclusive club that turns people away. As long as one has basic courtesy, and one doesn't get into a habit of making and abandoning games by the dozens like my friend Adwarf did, there is nothing that will cause us to be less than friendly.

er.

Anyway. Yeah, even in that case we don't hold grudges, really. We might get disappointed but it's not like we dislike adwarf or something stupid like that.

@ - Dave1004 - Just keep your first game simply, and the player count low (6 is my suggestion), and you will do just fine.

Personally I'd recommend four for a first RTD, it can work spectacularly well and it ensures that you can handle a more complex system without bogging too badly.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 661