Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702246 times)

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2685 on: December 03, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »

Random mutations. No player choices. Final Destination.

Do it! :D However you handle mutations, it sounds like fun. Perhaps as you devour a soul (or multiple souls at a time) you gain a (at least mostly) random mutation, varying in magnitude depending on the size and power of said soul?

"FOUL MORTAL I SHALL DEVOUR YOU!"
The peasant runs away, tears in his eyes, yet you show no mercy and devour him. Something in you starts to change. You observe your body and see no changes, everything feels like it used to. You check on the ground and the man is gone. You definitely did devour him, and felt the change like usually when mutating. Then you realize, you HATE potatoes, but that man liked them. Now you can't... resist.. eating... POTATOES EVEN THOUGH YOU HATE THEM!!! RAGHWAARGH!

Something like this is nice yes?
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: December 03, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

Consumed souls/memories influencing you against your wishes sounds pretty interesting, actually, if hard to implement.

Hmm, what about a game where the player had a variety of fragmented souls/voices of gods in his head that would penalize them or grant new powers/skills/knowledge if he went along with their wishes. Or alternatively, where the players were the voices - though this would probably work better as a suggestion game.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: December 03, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

Consumed souls/memories influencing you against your wishes sounds pretty interesting, actually, if hard to implement.

Hmm, what about a game where the player had a variety of fragmented souls/voices of gods in his head that would penalize them or grant new powers/skills/knowledge if he went along with their wishes. Or alternatively, where the players were the voices - though this would probably work better as a suggestion game.

Or maybe a multi- group RtD with Gods + Demons with their own agendas, and hero / anti heros can be influenced, the Gods/Demons being the voices?
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: December 03, 2011, 04:14:15 pm »

Or maybe a multi- group RtD with Gods + Demons with their own agendas, and hero / anti heros can be influenced, the Gods/Demons being the voices?
Multi-Group RTD's do not work well, ever.

Seriously, lets not try that again.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: December 03, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »

Sometimes I forget. Sorry.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: December 03, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »

A CHALLENGE? I ACCEPT!

Wait shit I'm running an RTD and an LP and a Suggestion game. Uh....

CHALLENGE DEFERRED!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: December 03, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »

A CHALLENGE? I ACCEPT!

CHALLENGE DEFERRED!
No, seriously they just don't work unless you have very experienced and qualified GM's. If one GM has to leave or is gone for too long everything goes into chaos.

Only way it can work if you have a group of very dedicated people all with the same amount of freetime during the day.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »

A CHALLENGE? I ACCEPT!

CHALLENGE DEFERRED!
No, seriously they just don't work unless you have very experienced and qualified GM's. If one GM has to leave or is gone for too long everything goes into chaos.

Only way it can work if you have a group of very dedicated people all with the same amount of freetime during the day.

Oh, multi-GMs? Yeah, I thought you just meant multiple groups of players, which while certainly challenging and time-intensive is still doable and enjoyable. I don't think I've ever heard of multi-GM ending well, interbutts or IRL.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

A CHALLENGE? I ACCEPT!

CHALLENGE DEFERRED!

Oh, multi-GMs? Yeah, I thought you just meant multiple groups of players, which while certainly challenging and time-intensive is still doable and enjoyable. I don't think I've ever heard of multi-GM ending well, interbutts or IRL.
Even then multiple groups of player's are hard to keep track of, unless the maximum stays at 6.
Welcome to Reality.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2694 on: December 03, 2011, 10:46:32 pm »

Oooh, that gives me an idea:

An RTD where all the players play as different split personalities of the same guy. They would compete against each other to complete objectives in a mental landscape, which would change periodically to represent what was happening in the real world. Whichever player comes out on top at the end of each turn (perhaps determined by some kind of score?) would become the "dominant personality" for the next turn, and be able to control the actions of the guy in the real world in addition to those of their mental avatar.

Whaddaya think?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:06 pm »

An RTD where all the players play as different split personalities of the same guy. They would compete against each other to complete objectives in a mental landscape, which would change periodically to represent what was happening in the real world. Whichever player comes out on top at the end of each turn (perhaps determined by some kind of score?) would become the "dominant personality" for the next turn, and be able to control the actions of the guy in the real world in addition to those of their mental avatar.

Whaddaya think?
I love you.
Welcome to Reality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:52 pm »

Sounds like RtASL :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2697 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »

That's the first thing I thought of, actually. :P

Of course, it would be a free-for-all rather than teams. And everyone would play as "actual" characters, rather than vague forces of chance. It would be interesting to focus on the relationship between the real world and the "mindscape"; players could alter things in the real world to affect things in the mind, and vice versa. Maybe if multiple players tied in points the unfortunate protagonist would fly into a schizophrenic fit of rage, trying to perform all their actions at once.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:25 pm »

Roll to communicate in American Sign Language? [/badjoke]

I could see the MPD RTD working with kind of a "power point" system, where players can either try to affect what is currently happening in the real world, or try to gain more control over the host's body. Achieving objectives purely in the mental landscape would give "power points" as a reward, which can then be applied as a bonus towards controlling the hosts action. On the one hand, controlling the host is the real point of the game, and how you make things actually happen- on the other, only one person's action can succeed, so failure has a large opportunity cost. You'd probably need some kind of cap on the point system to keep players from just accumulating critical masses of them without taking any risks, but it'd work, and it'd probably be pretty fun.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: December 04, 2011, 04:43:07 am »

Whaddaya think?
I love you.

That sounds awesome. I wouldn't go as far as Bd, but it sounds awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 661