Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702423 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5295 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »

I have a strange urge to do a Mobile suit gundam RTD. Any suggestions on how I should do it?
"Simply." Most mech games I've seen fall apart because they're too complex.

Then again, it probably says something that nobody wants to run a simple mech game in the first place.

Hey I have another question. I'm not sure how I should handle shields since I have no defense stat since defense is expressed by stronger bodyparts having higher HP and the gameplay has a thing about damage sometimes being distributed among multiple bodyparts and such. What should I do?
I'd suggest making it some sort of universal HP that's depleted before any body parts get touched, but it really does depend on what you want it to do. What should the difference between a heavily shielded, lightly shielded, and unshielded thingy be? What are they good or bad at?

You do this and I call pre-in. >.> IMO there's never enough good horror RTDs out there.
So I've been thinking a little about this. Probably won't, since I've been planning it as a sort of meat grinder and that's not really my thing, but it's an option.

I guess my question though, is what makes a "good" horror RTD?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5296 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »

Probably something that actually unnerves the players. I haven't read many horror RTDs (or atleast recognized them as such, >_>) but Draig's City of Madness is very good in that department.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: September 30, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »

The universal HP over regular HP is pretty standard, but an enemy getting a natural 6 (or 20, depending on the system, basically, highest possible natural) might be able to bypass it with a sneaky attack.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: September 30, 2012, 01:28:03 pm »

To me horror is all about atmosphere and mystery - not knowing what's around the next corner. While I love Resident Evil to death, they've never been horror games to me. Resident Evil 1 had a great atmosphere - creepy abandoned mansion in the mountains, doors are locked by an odd knight-based key system, strange puzzles everywhere that lead to 'what do I even do with this item I got from solving it' situations, etc. - but if you're playing as Jill, within fifteen minutes of the start you can have a handgun, a shotgun, and a grenade launcher to take everything down with + a competent partner (Barry pretty much owns Plant 42 for you if you're too lazy to make V-Jolt, although as a sidenote I always found it hilarious he just happens to have a flamethrower on him when he walks in the room. I guess Wesker gave it to him?), and with a little careful planning you can finish the game -easily - with way too much ammo and herbs. On the other hand, I dislike every Silent Hill save for the first two, but those games have excellent atmosphere. The fog covering everything, the odd NPCs, the fact most weapons are improvised melee (and you WANT to save what ammo you get), and having a radio crackle with different types of static based on what kind of enemy is near with the volume indicating how close they are... that's brilliant. The puzzles were great, too. For example, the 'face' puzzle in Silent Hill 2, where you had to figure out what buttons to press on a door in what order based on a somewhat disturbing poem.

To be fair, Horror is different for everyone. Some people probably actually get scared watching, say, the Friday the 13th series. I think the series is awesome, but that's just me. I guess the best example of 'horror' I can give you is Alan Wake. It presents the idea that there are forces out there beyond the reckoning of man and while we can, to a small extent, fight and maybe even control them (Wake's power to make things happen by writing them), we'll never be able to truly understand or defeat them. As a game it has excellent mechanics; as a story every element works. To a lesser extent, Eternal Darkness is similar, but it's too... Cthulu without actually being Cthulu. Sort of like what Trevor Moorehouse is to Jason Voorhees... the cheaper, Wal-Mart brand, y'know?

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

my RDT would probably have elements from ER and Crossing the bright void ie being in command of a ship, rolls(ie if an enemy shoots at the mechs head with a missile and gets a 3 while you get a 5 dodging the missile/blocking it.), or the ship v ship combat. I hope thats a concept that would work.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: September 30, 2012, 09:35:49 pm »

How do you do that cool thingy where, if you hover over the text, a little box blinks up with...More text in it? Like, for item details, or rolls?

Gyek. Can't figure it out.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: September 30, 2012, 09:38:16 pm »

Code: [Select]
[acronym=Here ya go.]Like this.[/acronym]
Like this.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Code: [Select]
[acronym=Here ya go.]Like this.[/acronym]
Like this.

Wow, thank you! Damn, that's awesome, man.

Much appreciated!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:48 pm »

I use [abbr] myself, less typing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »

But in one of my RTDs, I remember someone complaining about abbr tags not working (Darvi, I think). So that's something to consider.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: September 30, 2012, 10:07:11 pm »

It's impossible to tell which words/sentences use that "Acronym" thingy though. Any way to tell? They just look the same to me, until I hover over them.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: September 30, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »

It's impossible to tell which words/sentences use that "Acronym" thingy though. Any way to tell? They just look the same to me, until I hover over them.

That's a browser problem I've noticed with Chrome, but there might be others. In most browsers, there's a line of dots under any abbr-tagged words.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »

But in one of my RTDs, I remember someone complaining about abbr tags not working (Darvi, I think). So that's something to consider.

That's a browser problem I've noticed with Chrome, but there might be others. In most browsers, there's a line of dots under any abbr-tagged words.

Oooh, I was unaware of both these facts. I shall bear this in mind in the future.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: September 30, 2012, 10:39:31 pm »

Oh, no wonder. Dang, that's annoying...Oh well. Sucks to be me, I guess. Thanks!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Oh, no wonder. Dang, that's annoying...Oh well. Sucks to be me, I guess. Thanks!

I colour text which is abbr'ed and intended to be seen. I can't see the dots in IE or Chrome.

Edit: Oh God, also, I totally thought of one - Roll to be a Viking in Medieval Japan

Edit: Oh - how about, Roll to be Too Old For This Shit - four aging cops take on one last case.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:47:14 am by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 661