Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702253 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

He means physical changes - often the complete change of somebody's form. For instance, you start out as a human, but you become something else in the process of the game, say, a metallic giant or the old favorite, a dragon. Or maybe just have extra arms or eyes added.
They can also be unfortunate. Such as - you gain the strength of a dragon! Your arm are now dragon sized and you are unable to move them due to lacking sufficient shoulder muscles.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

Honestly, I think part of the problem with transformations is that most RTD's let them happen too quickly and don't make them all that special. As-is, they're basically somewhat randomized buffs or nerfs that you know most of what you need to know about as soon as they happen.

Nah, if a mage botched a spell, and it's causing him to transform, don't just tell him that he grows wings. Instead, mention worsening back pain for a few turns, and if he checks for a possible cause, he finds loose flaps of skin that ache horribly. His armor grows increasingly tight, and at one point when he takes it off, there's a ripping noise as partially grown wings tear through the back of his shirt. Of course, they aren't usable right away, and even once they finish growing, he'll need practice to use them at all.

And what's to say that's the end of the transformation? Perhaps he starts growing scales next, and proceeds to turn into a dragon. Also, don't forget that mental transformations can be a thing as well... while he's turning into a dragon, he might be more and more attracted to gold or other valuable stuff... to the point where he has to actively try to resist taking such things for himself.

Of course, the relative rolls should probably be hidden for maximum paranoia.

But yeah, if you can't tell by the above, it'd be cool seeing more generic fantasy RTD's. I'd love something more RP based like the fortress of blood one that Dwarmin ran for a while, but that'd be a lot harder on the GM.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Honestly, I think part of the problem with transformations is that most RTD's let them happen too quickly and don't make them all that special. As-is, they're basically somewhat randomized buffs or nerfs that you know most of what you need to know about as soon as they happen.

Nah, if a mage botched a spell, and it's causing him to transform, don't just tell him that he grows wings. Instead, mention worsening back pain for a few turns, and if he checks for a possible cause, he finds loose flaps of skin that ache horribly. His armor grows increasingly tight, and at one point when he takes it off, there's a ripping noise as partially grown wings tear through the back of his shirt. Of course, they aren't usable right away, and even once they finish growing, he'll need practice to use them at all.

And what's to say that's the end of the transformation? Perhaps he starts growing scales next, and proceeds to turn into a dragon. Also, don't forget that mental transformations can be a thing as well... while he's turning into a dragon, he might be more and more attracted to gold or other valuable stuff... to the point where he has to actively try to resist taking such things for himself.

But yeah, if you can't tell by the above, it'd be cool seeing more generic fantasy RTD's. I'd love something more RP based like the fortress of blood one that Dwarmin ran for a while, but that'd be a lot harder on the GM.
This is reminding me too much of District 9.
Too much.
I love it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

The only problem with progressing transformations is that you have to remember them. And as everyone knows human memory is an elusive thing. In addition, if it's from using polymorphing magic, you'd expect it to affect you instantly.

Still, I get what you're saying. Though it'd be better for screw-ups rather than successes.

This is reminding me too much of District 9.
Too much.
I love it.
Why am I not surprised that the resident eldrich forumite loves slow, body disfiguring, entire-body transformation? :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

Heh. It comes of reading a lot of books and knowing the basics of writing. Taking some time to build up suspense (even if it's just a little) can really make the eventual payoff that much better.

And the best part is that you can mix this in with just minor worries. For instance, after being hit by a spell, you start coughing every once in a while, and begin sweating uncontrollably. Are you merely down with the flu? Or is it something more... sinister? By having the relevant rolls hidden, you can really keep your players on their toes.

Also, it's worth noting that this is only really effective if there's both minor problems and major problems. If there's someone transforming every turn, players will start to expect it, and it'll lose the shock value. On the other hand, if you never toss something huge their way, they'll quit being worried about the minor problems you do give them. However, if you manage to keep a good balance, giving them the occasional major thing where it makes sense, that's when you'll get the best results.

@Tarran
Honestly, just open a word document and write it down. If you're planning on a more in-depth RTD, you'll probably be writing stuff down anyway. I mean, do you think Piecewise runs Einstenian Roulette entirely from memory?

Also, you're thinking a bit one-dimensional. You could have it be a magic curse that the players need to rush to break, compared to standard polymorphing's temporary effects. And then instead of fully breaking it, the players could try to find a counterspell to block the less desirable effects while keeping the benefits intact.

It's all in how you write it, really. And it's worth noting that the end result doesn't have to be horrible (I mean, becoming a dragon does has its upsides), and if it's known to be from a benign source, you could easily go with gentler descriptions. That said, since most of these transformations are probably going to be inflicted by an enemy (or spell misfire), you'll usually be aiming for maximum paranoia.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Mental transformations are high on my list of favorites, and thanks for the tips, transformations would more likely be the cause of an ancient trap or, as you said, botched spell. I'm going to begin working on a system now, can anyone suggest a good starter system for new GM's?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Tarran
Honestly, just open a word document and write it down. If you're planning on a more in-depth RTD, you'll probably be writing stuff down anyway. I mean, do you think Piecewise runs Einstenian Roulette entirely from memory?

Also, you're thinking a bit one-dimensional. You could have it be a magic curse that the players need to rush to break, compared to standard polymorphing's temporary effects. And then instead of fully breaking it, the players could try to find a counterspell to block the less desirable effects while keeping the benefits intact.

It's all in how you write it, really. And it's worth noting that the end result doesn't have to be horrible (I mean, becoming a dragon does has its upsides), and if it's known to be from a benign source, you could easily go with gentler descriptions. That said, since most of these transformations are probably going to be inflicted by an enemy (or spell misfire), you'll usually be aiming for maximum paranoia.
I've written down stuff in text documents before and I believe I still forgot it. I think it was RTD of the Dragon, dealing with aging. I believe this was even with me reading the text file each turn. But it's not just writing it down, you have to remember that you wrote it down and that you need to read it sometime in the future too.

And I... never really said it couldn't be inflicted by the enemy. I wasn't thinking about that at the time I was writing it. I was just talking about people using it on themselves or friendlies.

Mental transformations are high on my list of favorites, and thanks for the tips, transformations would more likely be the cause of an ancient trap or, as you said, botched spell. I'm going to begin working on a system now, can anyone suggest a good starter system for new GM's?
There are many, many different systems by different people. Any ideas of what you're looking for?

Also, this talk about transformation and me reading the Metamorphican Madness RTD might have given me a third idea for my next RTD. Curses.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:55:38 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

There are many, many different systems by different people. Any ideas of what you're looking for?
I've been thinking about it and I have a few ideas, magic would be in the perplexicon style, a large left a vaguely latiny words that you use for magic, spell books and practice teach you what some of them mean but they will be Private messaged to people so others don't find out the super mega death ray spell.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Erm, that wasn't what I was asking. Unless... you're answering my question with an almost unrelated answer? I'm somewhat confused. Are you only asking for a magic system and not an entire RTD system?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:15:36 am by Tarran »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Tiruin: Might be a bit late, but I've found that players will tell you if they're not interested in a revival. PMing the old players for an interest check is a must.

@Generic Fantasy: while I couldn't go all generic high fantasy, I've been thinking about a very much 'classic' fantasy story, with Chosen One simple farmboys and the whole deal, out to save the world. There's also the idea I mentioned where the players would be spirits trying to help and influence said farmboys.

Wait, Digital had that series I remember.

I got killed by a bunch of dogs and he never finished the novilization.

Err, is there another Digital I should be aware of? Because I've never savaged you with a pack of dogs and am now confused.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Maybe it was someone else.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well yeah. I've never run a fantasy game here. I do be interested, thou, so find this game of yours.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Um...

Oh, right. It was the Arcanum Octet games by RandomNumberGenerator. Second one.

He hasn't been on since 2011, thats why I couldn't remember.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, Arcanum Octet. Shame it ended so quickly after I joined the second, I was undead and everything!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Ah, Arcanum Octet. Shame it ended so quickly after I joined the second, I was undead and everything!
That was pretty cool.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 661