Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702608 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

My very limited experience with ASCII-code is that it's nightmarish, because color tags ruin everything forever.

However, my only experience attempting to create ASCII maps using a program ended in abject failure also. Take that as you will.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Well, BBcode requires messy messing with text when you want to edit it (especially messy the larger the map gets), while graphical maps require you to upload it and copy the link and such.

They both have their downsides, but I'd say they're roughly equal in how much time they take. At least I think. I haven't used text based maps for a while, but I recall it being a bit messy in a way.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, BBcode requires messy messing with text when you want to edit it (especially messy the larger the map gets), while graphical maps require you to upload it and copy the link and such.

They both have their downsides, but I'd say they're roughly equal in how much time they take. At least I think. I haven't used text based maps for a while, but I recall it being a bit messy in a way.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I suppose I'd also have to take into account to difficulty/time of transferring the editable graphical maps to adwarf and back (if that's possible). Maybe dropbox could be used for that, but it'd still need an imgur upload...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY)
« Reply #6438 on: April 15, 2013, 02:52:37 am »

Adwarf and I are going to be co-GMing a hilarious yet lethal RTD.

Oh God what? Can I voice my strong approval and feverish anticipation of this as an idea?

Overall sounds like a solid concept.

Thank you.

any proposed similarities.

More the similarly simple system than anything else, there will be no Nazis, sports underwear fetish, or… a third thing that I haven’t thought of yet. Complicated stats? Russians?

Except that I hope this is ever so slightly more serious than Bowienauts

Much more serious – as serious as questing for a Magical Mandolin to save civilisation could be. Unfortunately I’m very busy today and need to update my other game first.

edit:
Ooh - forgot to say. The idea of adding words to your class description was a kind of prestige class simulating kind of thing (will influence the choice of skills I do for you) and I guess a 0 word class would be a sub-peasant or something. Or a toddler.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:44:53 am by lawastooshort »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Could having the name "Wile E. Coyote" and the class "Super Genius" lead to never succeeding in anything but starvation?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I'd probably object that "Super Genius" doesn't sound very generically non-minimalistically medievally fantasy, so we'd probably never know.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Would anyone be interested in this madness? Each player can post for the spot they want, but do tell me exactly what you'd take. If both you and someone else want a spot, and you're OK with a few spots and the other guy only wants the one, he'd get it, but if you want that spot but would be OK with a few others, and he wants the spot but is also OK with another (unfilled) spot, he'd get the unfilled one. Basically, when/if the thread comes up, post in order what you'd like to be, and don't include things you don't want to be, and the GM will find you one of those spots. Probably. If two people want the exact same spot and only that spot it will be first-come first-serve and the second guy just won't get in.

Very interested. Pre-in if possible as a Cosmos Player, preferably Cosmos Architect, Destiny Weaver or Mother Atrocity, in that order.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:29:08 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I have been reliably informed that a Generic Non-Minimalist Fantasy Medieval RTD should not be humorous, particularly as this would affect its Generic qualities. I wasn't intending mine to be especially humorous, but I do doubt my capacity for all-out intense seriousness.

I think I have to reflect quietly about a few things.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Reliably informed? I believe its better off if you go with how you naturally write it instead of forcing a style of performance in writing. You can write intense scenes la, given that they're mostly mixed up with humor, its a two-win situation.

Reflect well :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I have been reliably informed that a Generic Non-Minimalist Fantasy Medieval RTD should not be humorous, particularly as this would affect its Generic qualities. I wasn't intending mine to be especially humorous, but I do doubt my capacity for all-out intense seriousness.

I think I have to reflect quietly about a few things.
You have been reliably lied to.

I would agree that what you have written is probably not 100% generic, but I don't see any reason it would need to be. You're not going to drop the mandolin idea or class mechanics because that's not the average quest item or ways of classing people across the sampled fantasies, right?

And besides, I dunno what your experiences with generic fantasy are, but mine frequently involves players. That stays real serious all the time!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

If anything I'll Make it humorous.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can reliably tell you nobody has told lawas to not run this game (if anything, the opposite). There was some pondering about what constitutes a generic non-minimalist medieval fantasy and the fittingness of his idea into this very complex and very specific niche.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Humor is something to not have an excess of, but also something that's good to not have a shortage of. In my opinion. While you shouldn't make it so silly that nobody takes the game seriously, a good dose of humor could improve the game IF the setting allows it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

And besides, I dunno what your experiences with generic fantasy are, but mine frequently involves players. That stays real serious all the time!

This x1000
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 661