Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699456 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I just got a lovably horribad idea.

What if you were to take and modify Perplexicon's magic system and Looter's Delight's loot system, and put them into the SAME ARENA GAME?

Magic would work similarly to the old Perplexicon, however, words are different.

Page 1 is regular words, as normal. Other pages, however, contain prefixes, suffixes, and modifiers.

So, let's say Ka- is a prefix for Spear, Zus is Lightning, and -ane is "launch forward".

Kazusane would cause you to launch a lightning spear forward.

Add a modifier, like "Hapus" (Multi), and get a shotgun of spears.
---

Loot is generated in a similar way as well, dependent on multiple rolls. Reach a certain threshold, and items become recursive- let's say you get a familiar, but you loot score was high enough to cause another form to get thrown in. Suddenly, you have GUITAR-PLAYING familiars, who's songs spit fireballs, and the like.

Loot, I think, will be generated on a conditional basis.

Form, which determines shape of the loot, size, which is "more normal" with middling rolls, "not good" with low scores (a giant ant- subject to the square/cube law), and "best" with higher scores (KAIJU ANTS)

---

I think it could be laughably murderiffic if the original Perplexicon system were used- tempted to scramble the words and what pages they're on, possibly add a few, then build a loot generator.

If RUNES were added to the system, holy shit. I'm totally tempted to do, like, a beta or something, then release the system for all to use.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

This made me think it was a good idea for a game:

It's about lard in sewers.

Sinking of the Subterranean Titanic

An epic romantic disaster survival RTD about a group of rats who struggle to find love and life despite strict early-1900's British Gutter Rat social classes in the labyrinthine sewers beneath Kingston. Players take the role of poor, commoner rats locked in the third class section of the RMS Titanic, a large sewer-ship said to be impervious to the many fatbergs that have formed from the refuse of obese Englishmen in the world above. There, they must seduce one of several eligible upper-class Rat bachelors/maidens in order to escape third class and gather the resources that will serve them well when the Titanic inevitably collides with the Lardtanic, the largest fatberg ever seen in the Kingston sewers. From there, it's a matter of escaping the sinking ship by securing/stealing/crafting a lifeboat of some kind while fighting off other frantic passengers, then avoiding hypothermia and sewer sharks long enough to be rescued by the RMS Carpathia.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

monk I'd play that before you could say burning nudity

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Making the players sentient vermin automatically makes any idea better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Even if that idea is Roll to Carol Vorderman's Maths' Orgy?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I don't know what that is, so I'm going to assume it involves a black rat in a dark suit and tophat leering over his monocle at a dainty white blushing schoolteacher rat in a frilly white dress and hat.

So yes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I had the idea for a small RTD that's all about managing an army, research levels, and all that stuff, fighting in a large war.

Except, you aren't soldiers. You're toys.

There's 13 points to control, such as if it was a square table and everyone got a corner, then there's three outwards from you, and an extra in the very middle. You do so by moving troops about- which, in itself, is fairly simple.

-Wherever your commander (you) are is considered your Capital. If your Capital is taken, you cannot gain more troops and will likely lose due to this.

-Forces have a Move stat. Most have 1, though some items, such as Walls, can't be moved, and others, such as helicopters, have 2.

-Forces also have an Attack stat- this signifies if it attacks with a d6, d8, or d12, and how so- d12 /2 is a d12 divided by 2.

-The game is somewhat risk-like due to this.

---

Research determines what toys you have access to. There's general areas as well as specific ones- focus on ground troops, then electronics, then Mecha, maybe Air Vehicles, then Models, then Carriers?

Spoiler: Possible trees (click to show/hide)

It would be possible to study 2 high-tier objects per unit type, so that taking Military Transport and RC Car could result in a single unit, or Automated Turret and Transforming Unit.

Other research trees involve weapons (work your way up from LEDs to foam missiles), defenses (from walls to traps).

---

Let's say I use an RC Helicopter Transport (2 Movement, can hold 4 Troops) and load it with Transforming Troops (can switch between being good at attack or defense, takes a turn though), and send it to an unoccupied base. Because I'm the only one with troops there, it's mine. I unload the defensive troops. Next turn, I can start building up walls or equipping my soldiers.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello guys, I'm designing a modern fantasy magic rtd.

Anyhow.
There is one type of magic in my rtd, namely Chaos. Chaos magic is every magic with a touch of randomness. In any case, i was wondering if someone has a dice sheet for randomness with additional overshoot sheets.

Example: Player A casts Fireball, however since he's an chaos mage, i must roll X amount of Dice depending on how powerful the spell is to add random effects. These effects can be either favorable or unfavorable to the caster.

For this example, i will use an D10 and roll 3 times. I roll a 5,10 and 7.
-Number 5 on the first layer of the random sheet adds volatile residue to the spell
-Number 7 on the first layer of the random sheet adds tripled explosion radius
-Number 10 is overshoot, this means that i will advance to the second layer of the randomness sheet. The second layer introduces more dangerous effects. For this i will roll the dice once again. I roll an 8
-Number 8 on the second layer of the random sheet adds Backlash to the spell. Backlash harms the user in some way upon using the spell.

End example

So i was wondering if someone has such an system/dice sheet or has heard of one, if so then i also ask if that person would be willing to share it. I will of course give credit to the creator and/or user which helped me.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:02:29 pm by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

MY MIND HAS DREAMED THIS.

Take equal parts Bleach, Shin Megami Tensei, and Looter's Delight speculation.
--

The whole idea is balancing physical, magical, and blade skills to take on a dungeon- your blade is randomly generated, and you won't know what it's capable of without using and getting better with it. You'll also be able to use other skills, so it's unwise to shove all your points into swordplay- physical skills allow you to disarm opponents, attack with or without your sword in new ways, and magic skills give you much needed range and access to elemental damage, as well as shielding, and inflicting status effects.

The HP system is somewhat custom:

HP is simple, it's how much of a beating you can take. As soon as it hits anywhere from 0 to -5, you're out cold and need to make a roll to get back up. Under -5, and you'll be rolling against death.

There's another meter you've got to manage, which is Spirit. So long as it's above 0, you'll be able to fight. Under 0, and you'll become tired, and under -10 and you're virtually useless, as well as special statuses being applied. None are good.

When you roll to get back up, a successful result is not always good. On a d6, 1 and 2 reduce HP, 3 and 4 do nothing, 5 recovers HP but reduces Spirit, and 6 increases HP.

Spirit does not regenerate in combat. You can attempt to regenerate in a fight, but if you get hit, even not attacking will not allow you to regenerate if you get hit.

---

Not sure how I'd work it, but each sword would be unique. You might get a sword that, in it's basic form, is a dagger with the ability to create gusts. Later effects give you specials that can blind enemies or break their guards, deflect projectiles, and other such things.

Magic would also be somewhat unique. You've got a few things: projectiles, shields, augments, binds, and different ways of casting them. You can only have so many magics and they can only have so many components, but midlevel magics can have three components. So, a Circle (effect plays from the ground in an area)/ Bind / Ice would freeze any enemy left in the circle.

Physical skills range the gambit- some are good at defense, offense, escaping, healing... they're useful to have around, to say the least.

---

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This interests me. Could have sworn I saw a game here or elsewhere where you had randomly generated swords. Might not have been an rtd though. Gonna run a search and edit this post later if I find it. Might be inspiring or whatever.

Edit: Yep that was the one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:28:43 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

This interests me. Could have sworn I saw a game here or elsewhere where you had randomly generated swords. Might not have been an rtd though. Gonna run a search and edit this post later if I find it. Might be inspiring or whatever.
That was made by the same guy http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120634.msg3885674#msg3885674
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Sadly it died quickly because the generator wasn't anywhere near done when I tried it as well as not having a set combat system.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I just noticed that there has been like 50,000 God games out there now. How did this happen?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes(all the time) it's nice to be a god.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I just noticed that there has been like 50,000 God games out there now. How did this happen?

Firstly, people like to indulge their megalomania.

Secondly, people like to create things of their own.

Thirdly, running a god game is a pretty easy thing as long as you don't involve a lot of mechanics in it. And you can usually count on people signing up for it, too, due to reasons one and two.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 661