Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702328 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7275 on: November 12, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »

Okay, so I recently went back to the TvTropes forums, just to check out what's happened while I was gone, and I noticed a game I had a lot of fun in had been rebooted.

That game was 'Enter the Arena as your Avatar'. And to be honest, it was a pretty fun thing to be a part of. SO, I was thinking I could bring it over here. But I wasn't sure if it would fit better as an RTD adapted to fit the style, or as a general Forum Game, as the original was. If it were to stay a general Forum Game, it would end up being play-by-post, with no dice rolling done, and it being more of an RP, really. Someone tries to attack, the other person says whether it hits or not.

But if it were an RTD, it would end up being a bit different. It could go one of two way: It could be an Arena-Style game, or a game more related to mall fight, in which a group of people keep respawning indefinitely, and it's more of an adventure/RP, but with dice rolls.

In either case, a character sheet would basically just detail the character your avatar is, like so:

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

For the Stats, players get 25 points to distribute through the different ones.

0 in any stat mean a -2 to all rolls with it.
1 means a 50% chance of -2 and 100% chance of -1
2 is a -1.
3 is a 50% chance of -1
4 is no bonus or negative.
5 is a 50% chance of +1
6 is a +1
7 is a +1 with 50% chance of +2
8 is +2
And so on.

These stats aren't what decide everything, though. Like, if someone were to try and Follow someone else, or open a door, a normal roll without bonuses would be done. However, if one were to try to climb a rope, Strength would be a factor, or if they needed to make a sarcastic comment or persuade someone to do something, then they'd use Moxie to alter it.

For the Special Skills, Green skills are passive, and Blue Skills are ones you need to activate. You can choose either 2 Passives, 2 Actives, or 1 Active and 1 Passive. You make the skills yourself, just try to make them similar to ones the character would have.

There would be various pop-culture-centric bosses, after which, the arena will change, if one goes for the Free Roam w/ Respawn game type.

Would anyone be interested in this? Or should it go to the General Forum Games and Roleplaying section?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7276 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »

I'd play it. Sounds like fun, possibly barrels of it.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »

I would be interested as well.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: November 12, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »

I'd play it.

Obsessions is starting here. I'm taking four players.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:43 pm »

I'd play it.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:53 pm »

I'd play it cause the only RTD where I have played as Captain Canada is Xantalos's dead planet one.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »

By the way, I'm still confused about the title. What does "Derm is 5k" mean? "Skin is five thousand years old"?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: November 12, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Well.
Derm's Dermonster, so it prolly refers to him getting the 5000th post or reply or somesuch.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: November 12, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »

It does.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: November 12, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »

Woo. I was right about a thing.
Do I win anything? :v

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »

Made a new game.

You Are Sidekick!

Your boss just died to a supervillain in front of your eyes.  You are gravely injured.  You have a limited pool of characters to choose from.

This game is heavily picture influenced, it's meant to feel like a cheap comic book.  I need to get used to some of the bits of html coding to include inside jokes properly, though I'm going to see if any interest makes this game sink or float.

Check my other games in my signature to see what my flavour of game is.  Any interest would be cool.
Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:54 pm »

Woo, positive feedback. So, I might start it up, just not yet. If I start it up, I'm going to have to plan some stuff beforehand. I want to make this a grand RTD.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: November 13, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »

Having already broke custom with a very much fledgling 2d6-based game, I have another question.

What if the game technically doesn't involve "rolling" at all, but uses another familiar system of finding random numbers that can function very similarly save for the lack of numbered-faced polyhedra (and whatever the hell a d10 is)? Does it belong on this forum because of its functional similarity, or is it to be excluded based on the letter of the law?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:03 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, if it has random numbers to decide actions, I'm cool with it being here. Hell, I'm pretty sure everyone uses a dice roller anyway, which just pulls numbers out of thin air.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: November 13, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, if it has random numbers to decide actions, I'm cool with it being here. Hell, I'm pretty sure everyone uses a dice roller anyway, which just pulls numbers out of thin air.
True, myself included on that last part.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 661