Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702563 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7635 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:08 pm »

Am I the only one that dosen't think that way? In a strategy game like that, I'll hound the hell out of the weaker player, especially if capturing their stuff has rewards.

Oh, and I'm kinda inspired to write some ideas down. PREPARE YOURSELVES.

Megaman, especially the GBA games, had a mechanic where playing certain ways changed you into new forms.
So... I kind of want to see an engine based around cyber-combat, but each character is highly adaptible.

For instance, I start off with Battle Program Jane.

Each program starts with various attributes or whatever, like basic character creation. Battle Program Jane mostly uses guns and ranged tactics.

Lets say I want to add some conditionals now. Jane gets hit pretty hard by Sir Knight the Adblocker. But, that was a melee attack that did a lot of damage, and suddenly, Jane starts changing. Her program tells her to shift to new subroutines, and suddenly, she becomes a lot more apt at melee while losing her ability to grasp and use things such as guns.

Changing too much, especially through conflicting swap subroutines (get heavily damaged by melee causes change, deal melee damage causes change) will cause damage to you. After a turn of staying the same, you won't take damage from another shift. Lets say Jane, who is now Barghest Jane (good at melee, dog-like, big claws) deals a lot of damage to Sir Knight the Adblocker. Her programming tells her to shift back to normal Jane, which dosen't cause damage. Sir Knight isn't dead though, and immediately causes Jane to become Barghest Jane, dealing extra damage.

---

Alternatively, a Custom Robo-like game where you start with a basic battle micromecha/program, and can have multiple setups:

Again, we'll use Battle Program Jane. This time, she's balanced all around, her weapons are the Rifle, Mines, Helo Drones. Her legs are Skate legs. ((Rifle is high power but slow and easy to miss with, Mines are... mines, Helo Drones follow a nearby enemy slowly and fire weak bullets. Skate increases run speed and ability to turn while still running, but reduces aerial ability significantly.))

She's programmable to have three "triggers". Triggers are events and then a word that gets added to some or all of Jane's setup.
Using Barghest again, lets say she takes a certain number of hits from ranged weapons. She adds Barghest to her Skates, her Drones, and her Rifle. Even faster on the ground and able to take leaps across wide areas from skating, much quicker drones, and a rifle with a bayonet, she's ready to now counter a ranged user and punish them up-close.

Now let's use something like Fae, whenever Jane is knocked down from a melee strike. Fae is added to her core, her Rifle, and her Mines. She's now able to glide in the air thanks to fairy wings, her rifle's shots are slower and home slightly, and her Mines have a much taller blast.

The last word is Witch. Whenever Jane is below 20% HP and isn't in another form, she gains the Witch token for her Rifle, her Skates, and her core. Her rifle now slows anything hit by it, her Skates allow her to dash in the air along the sky as if it were the ground (falling slowly), and she now emits a dark aura whenever knocked down. The aura damages and slows anyone caught in it.

---

Something like that could be really fun in an arena setting. You've got no idea what anyone's triggers are, but you still have to kill them. None of the triggers easily allow for self-triggering.

---

A third idea is that these "triggers" are automatic, but can also be triggered manually at the cost of some affliction. Let's assume it's a cyber-dungeon crawler, and Battle Program Jane is in a fight with some viruses and needs some extra power. She could activate Barghest, but doing so would cause blindness for as long as the form is up. She can attack normally via smell, but is unable to react to incoming attacks.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7636 on: January 15, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

So far, people can have:
-ADAM
-Will
-The Darkness
-Being A Siren

Maybe more later if I feel generous.
What, no copy abilities?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: January 15, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »

Am I the only one that dosen't think that way? In a strategy game like that, I'll hound the hell out of the weaker player, especially if capturing their stuff has rewards.
Well, this does depend on the style of the game. In games where other players are basically just pointy resources, then yeah, you tend to get a feeding frenzy/snowball effect. Not generally fond of that, for obvious reasons.

In games where players are costly to dispose of, people who focus on culling the weak like that tend to let the third or additional players get ahead, either through attacking the aggressor instead or just hanging back and conserving or building up their strength. This tends to be a much better situation, because it encourages players to not do that, which in turn lets the game be longer and more interesting.

Megaman, especially the GBA games, had a mechanic where playing certain ways changed you into new forms.
So... I kind of want to see an engine based around cyber-combat, but each character is highly adaptible.
I'm a big fan of gaining abilities or skills through using them or having interesting things happen to you. I don't think I've ever considered how to implement it on that kind of scale, however. Sounds interesting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:25 pm »

I mean minor benefits too, like another location to spawn troops and whatever was left in their gold purses when they kicked the bucket.

Not hardcoded ones. Most of the time, if there's no reward at all, I'll largely ignore or keep the larger players at bay, and any surplus goes to annoying or taunting weaker players.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: January 16, 2014, 03:57:46 am »

Someone said an idea like that in which you start off as a appliance or some device, like a 3DS or something, and as you kill other opponents you can gain some of their powers through the use of their corpse.

I'll see if I can find that post.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:51 am »

So far, people can have:
-ADAM
-Will
-The Darkness
-Being A Siren

Maybe more later if I feel generous.
What, no copy abilities?
They can have copy abilities when they kill Emperor Kirby and eat it's heart. That's also the only way to get The Angelus. Which only women can get. May make up a male equivalent for Sirens, since it's just sad that folks who go for The Darkness won't be able to phasefuck (technical term) everything.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:34 am »

Hey umm... A bit off topic, but how do we attach photos we have on our CP? I want to send a MS paint but can't figure out how.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: January 16, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

RTD idea. The players are the muses of a ghostwriter. She has to write a lot of novels for various famous names. You have to help her inspire her. Solve plot holes! Deal with annoying demands by the editor! Tear your hair out trying to figure out how much you're going to have to cut from your novel!

Basically, writing the RTD. I'll write more later, currently busy right now.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »

Definitely reserving a spot on that Fniff!

Question; though I already have the 'main' worlds for my game decided, should I give players the opportunity to unlock more in a limited capacity? Probably the Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus and MAYBE Dragon Age worlds.

Oh. And I've decided that all four players will start in the 'Real' world. Which probably won't last long.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: January 16, 2014, 03:34:36 pm »

Hey umm... A bit off topic, but how do we attach photos we have on our CP? I want to send a MS paint but can't figure out how.
You upload the image to something like imgur, then copy the BBCode on the right and paste it into your post. Or you can get the image link and surround it with the
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]tag. The image link goes between the two brackets, like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]example.jpg[/img]
And you can even right-click the image and select "copy image url" to get this image link, which you can do with any image on the web (though you may not want to do it with images other than your own, as some sites disable hotlinking (taking image links from their site and posting it on other sites) which will cause the image you link to not appear and instead it will be replaced with a message saying hotlinking is disabled on their site. Also, Photobucket does a similar thing with images you own if they are view too much, which is why you should never use Photobucket (also they convert your images to lower quality ones).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:18 pm »

Question; though I already have the 'main' worlds for my game decided, should I give players the opportunity to unlock more in a limited capacity? Probably the Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus and MAYBE Dragon Age worlds.
I'd generally say so. Planar shenanigans are always more the merrier, right?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: January 16, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »

I'd generally say so. Planar shenanigans are always more the merrier, right?
I just hope I can keep track...

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:59 pm »

Someone said an idea like that in which you start off as a appliance or some device, like a 3DS or something, and as you kill other opponents you can gain some of their powers through the use of their corpse.

I'll see if I can find that post.
I... remember having a similar idea posted somewhere, because I think I was the one using a 3DS as an example... maybe not. I've had so many ideas, they tangle so much.

Back to the I'm Custom Robo Megaman idea. I think I could have a similar system to Megaman, with the whole chips thing, except do a few things differently:

Subroutines are 2-8 tags that change you as discussed before. Barghest's Subroutine would appear, at minimum, [Demonic][Dog]. A subroutine simply applies tags to you, but some combinations may cause glitches, and others make it harder to do certain things.

Cores are also new- these determine your stating point, kind of like classes. A normal program is balanced, but there are also things like Worms which have less defense for more offense.

Weapons are what you use in lieu of a basic attack. This may be changed or amplified by subroutines, but as a base, you have no basic attack without a weapon. Weapons fall in three categories- Melee, Ranged, and Other. Each skill can be raised separately, and there are tags which add to these rather than add some feature.

Folders contain 20 chips with "attack data" which grant some sort of attack, move, or boost. Each has a letter code or an asterisk, chips with the same code can be chained and asterisks may be used with any other chip. Chips with the same attack may also be chained, and using certain combinations of them can cause special attacks to happen.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »

Actually, sorry to nitpick, but you're thinking of Megaman Battle Network, or Rockman.EXE in japan. The "Megaman" or "Rockman" series is a totally different one, sort of... the MBN series with it's programs and battle chips is a spin off, where Dr. Light's (and his Hikari (Japanese for Light) descendants) research into internet tech was more proliferate than the research into robots; in the main series, Megaman is a robot with a kirby-like copy ability that can upgrade his gun after beating a boss.

That said, I LOVE the Battle Network series, and have played games from the other 3 megaman series (Original, X, Z). Though I have yet to try the Chibi Robo series. And would love to see this game.

Or an update to Battle Bikes. ;)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: January 16, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »

Or an update to Battle Bikes. ;)

I should stop starting games over the break- half of the design documents are missing and a turn takes more time than I can muster most of the time. I'm sure there's more efficient ways to run turns, but I've never been able to keep any system that takes less than a hour to properly update. Add this to honors classes and honest laziness, and it's a bad mix.

MMBN was the Rockman series I played the most out of, well, 3,5, and 6. I also watched some of the TV show.

Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 661