Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699480 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Roll to Go Mad is probably my favorite one. It also happens to be one that was going strong right up until the end.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I don't know if I'd described it as my favorite, but one game I enjoyed reading (though wasn't quite able to play) was Criminal RTD. It was a modern day about a bunch of average joes who quit their jobs to apply their skills in a life of crime. It was a nice concept that hasn't been done again to my knowledge (though I don't follow this board too closely), and, though the game was short-lived, what was there was pretty good.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

My favorite? i still have the clearest memories and fondness for rtrtd.

I miss Gatleos's GMing style. He took crazy awesome and kept it humorous and lively. Alas, it seems my personal glory days of RTD have passed by.

For current ones, all I'm in is Heroes and that's turning out fantastically.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:54:58 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Considering your reputation, I'm surprised it's only one as of now. Did you notice Piecewise doing a new Perplexicon, now called Lexicon?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Anything by Mastahcheese, especially Battle Arena.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering your reputation, I'm surprised it's only one as of now. Did you notice Piecewise doing a new Perplexicon, now called Lexicon?

Whyyyyy the hell did he put it in the Roulette subforum!? I don't follow that! Perplexicon is not Roulette!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The same reason he put his Let's Play topic in there.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does he not know how forums work?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get why he's kinda treating it like his own fiefdom. RTD's like perplexicon should go in the RTD section. Let's plays in the lets play section.

I'm gonna go ask the Toad.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Just asking for some advice about the Star Wars RTD I just started. It is my first time GMing. What do I need to do better on?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Does he not know how forums work?
He just doesn't care~

Also because I put out videos specifically for my players pretty much.

I don't get why he's kinda treating it like his own fiefdom. RTD's like perplexicon should go in the RTD section. Let's plays in the lets play section.

I'm gonna go ask the Toad.
The reason it's in there is it's just a test I'm running with a few ER players. We can move stuff if it matters, but It wasn't really ready for prime time yet. I use the ER subforum for ER stuff things that are either directly ER related or are just tests of stuff.  Up to toady if he wants to move it, I just didn't want to clutter the RTD forum with what amounts to beta testing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

On a somewhat related note, let me crosspost some discussion here.

I've been tossing around Perplexicon ideas in my head, and one's bubbling close to the surface.  I wanted to bounce a few ideas off people to see if they're terrible or not.

1) Game structure

The idea was to have a shorter and more focused game, and the best solution I could come up for this was a team based game.  I had discussed it a bit in Pit of Magic, but the gist is that we'd have two teams of four, with each side having a "base" on opposite ends of the map.  In the middle there would be six "capture points" spread around the map, indestructible and immobile.  A player that was already close to it could spend an entire turn to capture it.  The first team to capture five out of six wins.

Each team would give a slightly different version of the book, with very approximately half of the words in both books, and the other half split between the two teams.  They'd be balanced so that each team got useful but different words without giving one side an advantage over the other.  (Nothing major; one side gets copper and axe, the other side gets iron and flail.  Both sides get sword, steel, and control, for example.)

The game would start with five turns for each team to test words and suit up with team damage turned off so they'd have a smattering of gear and word knowledge to head out the door with.  I might even give out a few basic word meanings so that basic gear could be created without too much testing required.  At the least, the books would be separated into labeled sections (Elements, Forms, Targeting, whatever) to speed testing up a bit.

2)  Death and Stats

I might borrow the +/- system that a few other similar games have used instead of point-based like the classic Perplexicon.  The idea was to have the same stats as in Pit (str dex spd end will pot pool) and let each player place two + wherever they like, and be able to get up to three more + to spend by placing an equal number of - (so at most 5 + and 3 -) with a maximum of ++ or --.

How would pool work?  My thought was to have pool always be full every turn, and to have the stat simply limit the maximum number of words usable in a turn, like so:
Code: [Select]
=  3
+  4
++ 5

I'm curious as to how people think this would work, since it would limit spells to five words at maximum as well as make the Overdrive effect (see: Pit of Magic or Tribulations) obsolete.

I gave everyone a bit of power to start with because death would no longer give souls to the killer; the killed player would just spend the next turn respawning in base.  This prevents any snowballing effect giving one team a huge advantage over the other with a big point stack building up, but still penalize players for dying via time lost.  I might consider letting people gain power from a low number of kills (two or so), though.

Players could also spend an action in their base to be healed or rid themselves of transformation effects they don't like.

3) Magic

Magic would by and large work like what you're used to, with a few changes.  The biggest change is that spells without a form would work differently.  For example, if a player said "Repair iron" in classic versions, they'd probably get a chuck of iron that could repair other iron.  What this would change is that this spell would instead repair any iron in front of them, without creating any physical objects.  "Repair Iron Ring" would give a ring that could be used to repair iron as normal, since the magic has a form to be bound to.  "FireForward Iron" would also still shoot a chunk of iron forward, since the magic's bound to the targeting vector.

Bodily transformations would work differently too.  Instead of using a transformation to turn your body entirely into another element, it would instead infuse the target with the essence of that element.  If you did "RightArm Iron", you'd be resistant to slashing attacks as well as gain a nasty punch.  If you infused your legs with rubber, you could jump higher and not take fall damage.  If you infused your entire body with fire, you'd be resistant to fire attacks and cause burns on anyone who touched you.  All that said, you'd still be fleshy on the inside in all those cases, so turning to metal is no longer a great way to make yourself resistant to bleeding and pain.  That said, the infusion magic would affect control, so a steel-infused arm would need to be affected with steel control instead of flesh control.

Going with the "magic with/without form is different" theme, if you tried to infuse your arms with swords, you'd instead get arms that were actual swords; forms would cause true transformations.  It still wouldn't get around the previous rule if you wanted to turn yourself into a steel bear, for example; it'd still be a steel-infused bear instead of a true steel bear.

Thoughts?  Criticisms?  Taking ideas and running with them?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cripes, but I'd like it if the rounds were a bit longer.

Reminds me of my competitive multiverse missions RTD idea... later maybe.
Generic Arms Race.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

It's not designed to be long; it'd be a real game, but still partially a testbed for the team concept.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

Gahh, Toaster's idea is similar to an idea I've been working on since the original ended.  Probably because I was influenced by that discussion in PiM.  I've been calling it 'Perplexicon: Druujinas', because of what Thearpox said about it.

I would absolutely love to discuss it, but I am too tired ATM to do it justice.  I shall return tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 661