Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702558 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Which is better: Squid cat or Scientist horde
Google had about 581,000 results for "magical girls squid cat" and 39,400,000 results for "magical girls scientist horde". Take that as you will.
It also appears to have 3 million results for "squid cat" and 900k for "scientist horde," suggesting those numbers have nothing to do with a paucity of squid cats or overabundance of scientist hordes. I am now curious as to why, other than that cats playing with squids probably intersect with magical girls less often than hordes of deranged scientists.

More bafflingly, it gives 30,100,000 results for "magical girls" and 34,600,000 results for "magical girl." So apparently lone magical girls are far more common on the Googles than multiples, yet still far less common than magical girls in the company of scientist hordes.

Why not squid scientists?
All the yes.
Also this.

A horde of squid cat scientists. And THE POWER OF ALIEN ATOMS that are somehow able to self-replicate.
A horde of cute little rubbery tentacled kitties wearing 50s scifi garb, bubble domes and silver suits. Might help explain why their plan is so bizarre it involves going to another planet to recruit its younger females as child soldiers.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might help explain why their plan is so bizarre it involves going to another planet to recruit its younger females as child soldiers.
Let's face it, it's probably an elaborate alien cockfighting ring. Magical Girls versus The Joyless, place your bets, catsquids!
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Might help explain why their plan is so bizarre it involves going to another planet to recruit its younger females as child soldiers.
Let's face it, it's probably an elaborate alien cockfighting ring. Magical Girls versus The Joyless, place your bets, catsquids!
The collective name of the enemies is actually the "Yami", Joyless is just one of the kinds. They're all named after negative emotions.

Cat squid scientists using the POWER OF THE ATOM to battle aliens from mars? Sounds fine to me.

I'm getting closer to being done here; I've just got to finish setting up the enemies and then figure out if I need to do anything else. I have the basic system all set up.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Fallout Girl and Radioactive Maid Versus the Martians.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for someone to take over my Wikipedia Article Warfare. I'd like to keep running it, but I wanna start another game, so if anyone could GM it for me... or at least help me run it, like do the rolls every other turn.

I'm a player in the game, but if I end up dieing, I'll help GM it.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for someone to take over my Wikipedia Article Warfare. I'd like to keep running it, but I wanna start another game, so if anyone could GM it for me... or at least help me run it, like do the rolls every other turn.

I'm a player in the game, but if I end up dieing, I'll help GM it.
You do realize that you are tempting him to drop a meteor or something on your character by saying that, right?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Fallout Girl and Radioactive Maid Versus the Martians.
"Neon Atomic Chrome Angel" Is what I'm leaning towards, since I don't have a main character name to insert like "Chrome angel Moeblob"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

If anyone has time
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi1bfc9mae2mrii/Magical%20Girl.doc?dl=0

Take a look at that and give me questions

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you noticed that the physical roll chart has been copied an innumerable number of times? There's a large number of pages that are simply the chart repeated over and over again.

EDIT:
Same problem with the magic chart rest of the charts.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:46:36 pm by Ruludos »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Have you noticed that the physical roll chart has been copied an innumerable number of times? There's a large number of pages that are simply the chart repeated over and over again.
Oh god, what the fuck happened there?!

Try this, if you have open office:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tutlh5twhz5v0kx/Magical%20Girl.odt?dl=0

I saved it as a .doc and for some reason that caused it to break in dozens of ways.

I checked and this one works.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No open office, sorry.

Besides the chart mess-up it looks incredible, though. You said the tone was campy more than grimdark, right? I'm interested in what the world is like; things like where these monsters are coming from and what sort of organized force there is fighting them. Is it just loose bands of magical girls like the PCs defending humanity from the Yami?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I have OO, though. ;)

Edit: It's insanely easy to get, and while I would declare Microsoft Office infinitely better, OO does have it's own perks that MO can't match. One of which is reading odt files, another of which is I can afford it for myself. There's more things, too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:15:45 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

OK, double post because I've read it.

Can you summon multiple copies of one monster at once from a summoning idol? (Given the text is "the monster will transform from the idol", I assume no)
If not, when a summoned monster is killed, will the idol break, or can you resummon the monster?
If you unsummon a monster that has used a lot of essence, will the idol have a little bit of essence left in it, lots, or none at all? What about unsummoning a monster that hasn't used any essence?

Do you get more essence using the essence from the "essence batteries" described in point #1, or by converting them (point #2) and absorbing it personally?

A description as to what "Magic Girl Look", "Normal Look", and "Life Until Now" could be useful.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

No open office, sorry.

Besides the chart mess-up it looks incredible, though. You said the tone was campy more than grimdark, right? I'm interested in what the world is like; things like where these monsters are coming from and what sort of organized force there is fighting them. Is it just loose bands of magical girls like the PCs defending humanity from the Yami?
Hmmm Perhaps Dark comedy is the best description? When I think grimdark, I think just like the most dark horrible nasty stuff, often for it's own sake. Like 40k. There's no tonal dichotomy in 40k. There are no nice things in 40k. Everything is murder and death and mindfuck.

And this world isn't that. The characters are in a pretty fucked up situation, and they're fighting really potentially frightening things, but it's not like the entire world is on fire and made of blood. In contrast the actual world of this is retrofuturistic and quite upbeat in that whole 1950's "By golly, I'm gonna drive my atomic car to work while my wife cleans the house with a garden hose because everything I own was coated in teflon! Time for a nice, healthy, refreshing cigarette!" kinda way.

So it's not noblebright, but it's not really what I would consider grimdark.

Oh and the general idea as per how magical girls get made, operate, and such is somewhere between Saikano and madoka with terminally ill or fatally injured girls being given the chance to live in exchange for their service. They are then transformed, via something unknown, which might be magic, might be science, and enlisted as groups to fight off incursions of these extradimensional Yami. The Yami cannot interact with this dimension under normal circumstances, but can manifest themselves if they have a host which is producing the right brainwave (they have some sort of affinity for the right frequency waves, especially organically produced ones). These Brainwaves are those created by negative emotions; hate, cruelty, despair, apathy, etc. Young girls are chosen because they seem to lack the capacity to produce the kind of brainwaves needed to become parasitized.

So now the magical girls are shipped around the world, fighting outbreaks of these Yami wherever they pop up.  Magical girl Xcom where you're fighting alien demons produced by negative emotions.

Simple, right  :P

OK, double post because I've read it.

Can you summon multiple copies of one monster at once from a summoning idol? (Given the text is "the monster will transform from the idol", I assume no)
If not, when a summoned monster is killed, will the idol break, or can you resummon the monster?
If you unsummon a monster that has used a lot of essence, will the idol have a little bit of essence left in it, lots, or none at all? What about unsummoning a monster that hasn't used any essence?

Do you get more essence using the essence from the "essence batteries" described in point #1, or by converting them (point #2) and absorbing it personally?

A description as to what "Magic Girl Look", "Normal Look", and "Life Until Now" could be useful.

Nope, just one per idol. The idol effectively becomes the heart of the summoned creature, so it won't die until that idol is broken.
Good question. See, the difference between Magical girls and the Yami is that magical girls hold a lot more essence and can use it in a lot more ways, while the yami have less, but never run out. The process to create a magical girl is not unlike a partial transformation into a yami. Just incomplete so they don't generate essence, they need to steal it to stay alive.  As such, the essence used in summoning would be doing what amounts to jump starting the creation of the yami. You use it all up but create a core that generates its own essence. When you desummon it, that essence would count as spilled, so you wouldn't get it back, but you could still use it for a short time afterwards.

You get the same amount. The point is that essence batteries is that anyone can use them and that they don't require self injury to use. See, essence batteries can be broken and used for actions or go straight into your personal essence. That way they can work as a kind of first aid kit, allowing others to break them and absorb the essence when they're low. And if you look at the very bottom of the document, there's a chart on regenerating after injury. As you can see, releasing a lot of essence can require you really hurting yourself, which can make you less able to fight until you regenerate. If you're in a melee fight with some high level Yami, you don't wanna be down an arm or collapsed on the ground because you had to stab yourself through the heart to do some magic. Instead you can just break a handful of essence batteries and instantly cast without needing to do anything else.

Oh and yeah, that will get updated before I start. I was just sticking that there partially to remind myself, partially as a start to that section.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps Dark comedy is the best description?
You got it right; grimdark is when there's literally no hope of a good ending, and shooting yourself now will just save you time in the long run. Sounds like it'll land somewhere next to Madoka on the idealism/cynicism scale, where ultimate victory will be very difficult but possible with enough determination.

The Yami cannot interact with this dimension under normal circumstances, but can manifest themselves if they have a host which is producing the right brainwave (they have some sort of affinity for the right frequency waves, especially organically produced ones). These Brainwaves are those created by negative emotions; hate, cruelty, despair, apathy, etc. Young girls are chosen because they seem to lack the capacity to produce the kind of brainwaves needed to become parasitized.
Sort of like Day Break Illusion's Diabolos Tarot, then? Of course, I can see some spectacularly fumbled rolls (can't look up the name of the stat now that you've taken the online copy down) letting the Yami in at exactly the wrong time. Must suck for your first batch of supersoldiers to get hijacked by the enemy and go berserk inside your base; that sort of trial-and-error can't have been any fun.

So now the magical girls are shipped around the world, fighting outbreaks of these Yami wherever they pop up.  Magical girl Xcom where you're fighting alien demons produced by negative emotions.

Simple, right  :P
Now that I remember you describing it as X-COM: Mahou Shoujo edition I'm following you much more easily. Seeing as the PCs will be the ground soldiers, I presume the research aspects will be dropped? While player progression will follow along nicely as the enemies grow stronger, I can see the discovery of the source of the Yami and the research of various artifacts/locations tied to them being the driving force of the plot, like it was in Symphogear. No need to spend any time researching new weapons when your soldiers can rip new ones right off of the enemy.

Also, seeing as essence is unique to the Yami and the girls, I presume that eating random civilians won't be an acceptable method of restoring it?
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 661