Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort  (Read 19881 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »

Savs' wall-engraved log:

14 Hematite, 10

Well, it's been a quiet summer so far.  Our mayor and broker was too busy working on the outer wall to deal with the elves.  Shame, we could have traded all that wood for a few useless stone trinkets.  Doesn't matter, the elves were jerks about being underground.  "This is so unnatural," they said. "Where are the trees and the squirrels?"  Screw trees and squirrels.  I'd rather have wood and... squirrel meat...?  Anyways.  There was a bit of awful miasma floating around near the junk pile by the mason's shop.  That must've happened when I ordered the corpse-filled cages emptied.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That problem's about to be fixed.  Just have to haul those corpses up to the surface and we'll be all set!

16 Hematite

At the foot of the entrance stairs I've ordered a line of glass serrated disc traps to be laid as a last line of defence against any invaders.

I know that kobolds will laugh at them, but it's just a little peace of mind.  I tell you, we'll be happy to have that if ever there's a goblin invasion.  Of course, if they get that far, we're probably done for anyways, but don't tell the others that...

25 Hematite

I was wondering why it was taking so long to get all these traps up...  Well, there it is!  We only have one Mechanic!  Well, it's time to make a Machinesmith corps!  These will be responsible for building traps and siege weapons, and operating the siege weapons and pumps!

4 Malachite

I've ordered the construction of a Memorial Hall for the honoured fallen.  It's only just being filled, but already it has the memorial slabs of Kivish Talulerib, that ghost that was haunting us last season, and ol' handless Urdim "Deaddwarf" Erushebal.  I guess a few dwarves were a little sad to see him pass, as he was apparently the fortress clown even with his hands cut off!  Well, no matter, he's gone now.  Besides, a handless dwarf is a useless dwarf.

Oh, look at that, some migrants!  I thought that the outpost liaison would have told migrants to stay at the Mountainhome.  Well, I'm never going to be able to keep track of them in this sea of nameless dwarves, so I'm not going to even bother.  I think I saw a tanner and a couple metalsmiths...

9 Malachite

Well, the outer wall is finally done!

You see, I've got some traps and a raising bridge all lined up over there.  Now that the defence is taken care of, it's time to start building my tomb.

10 Malachite

I just realised.  What is going on with the military?  I have no idea who's who!  Even if I can't find a face in this sea of nameless dwarves, at least I can know a member of the military by his or her title: Defender.  I've ordered every military dwarf except for squad heads to use this title before their names in all official business.  For administrative purposes, they will also have the letter of their squad after the title.

16 Malachite

I've planned out my tomb, and its construction has commenced!  To further the process, I've decided to open a whole in the wall right next to the stairs.  At this rate, we won't have any kobolds or goblins until after the tomb is done, and then I'll have it closed again.

No peeking, though!  I won't show you the tomb until it's finished!

22 Malachite

Oh, one of the miners came to me and told me he accidentally broke into the magma sea while mining for candy.  ARMOK DAMN IT.  I told him to get that corridor walled off.  He deserves to be walled in there with the magma for losing all that precious candy...

I guess it's lost to us now...

27 Malachite

That's some slow-moving magma.  It took this long to reach the main corridor.  And still it was walled off only just in time...

But wait, I just had a crazy idea, and it might just work.  If I could just drain that part of the magma sea into a big storage area, then I could get at that candy!  See, if the fool miner who cause this whole problem is right, then the area he broke into was just a small magma pipe the size of an average volcano!  I have to go make the order!

28 Malachite

All right, that massive magma storage room has been ordered.  I'll let you know more on--

Oh no, oh no.  A dwarf came and told me that there've been some earth-rattling howls coming from the cavern.  Oh no.  Sounds like my first forgotten beast.  I remember reading about them in University.  I don't know what to do.  Uhm, send down the entire military!  They'll take it down!  Right?

I went down to see our brave Defenders in battle against the foe.

And it was quicker than I expected!  The kill went to rookie speardwarf Olon Toecrypt, who now has a second, impressive kill under his belt.  Congratulations to him, and to me!  I didn't know that  I had it in me to survive this kind of crisis.  Let's hope we don't have anything worse than a weak forgotten beast!

6 Galena

Well, with the Great Forgotten Beast Crisis behind me, it's time to continue work on the tomb.  I've made some more peasants into Wallsmiths, whose sole duty will be to construct my tomb!  The great magma room will basically dig itself out since the miners are only mining.

13 Galena

We are out of wood.  I hear that there's a tree farm somewhere near the entrance, but all I see is locked hatches that seem to be connected to a lever.  But where is it...?

14 Galena

Ah, I looked around all day yesterday.  Forget about it, we'll just make a new lever for it.

18 Galena

The humans have arrived!  Let's see if Feb can be bothered to make it to the depot this time.  I know he's tied down building my tomb, but some things must be done for the good of the fort.

25 Galena

By Armok those humans are slow...  It took them a full week to get to the depot and unload everything.  But I guess when you bring over 1000 weight of wood, it'll take some time...  I had Feb buy ALL of it, as well as all of their meat and fish, alcohol, barrels, good glass, and some rose gold.

27 Galena

Well, that's about the end of the Summer.  No more warm nights spent on the growing tower that will be my tomb one day.  Now we have to get to work.  Come at me, Autumn!

-----------
Gah, I got confused about which init file was updated when I switched over to the new and clean version of DF/Phoebus, and the popcap remained at 200.  Now that problem's fixed.  Besides, if we don't have any more invaders, well, then we won't need lotsa meatshields.  Personally, I'm just hoping that the deaths of all those kobolds will miraculously bring us into the Age of Dwarves or something, because I've never been privy to an Age Change except during that one epic succession, Syrupleaf, I think it was.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:39 am »

Dont wanna be critical, but that wall is one ugly thing :)
Nice to see that we have a working military,ready to battle FB's. Anyone know what happened to the axedwarf that missed a leg, he was walking on crutches, but could still fight, is he around?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:28 am »

Ugly but functional.  ;D  My tomb will be much prettier (in my opinion).

Hmm...  There's a novice speardwarf named Tobul Tattoocities with no left hand or left foot...  Wait, that means he has no weapon.  Damn it.  All right, next post, I'll retire him, because he's slow AND useless...  There's also the second marksdwarf who's half blind, can't stand, and has one good hand, yet somehow has a shield and a crossbow in that hand.  Don't see an axedwarf like that, though...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:05 am »

He must have died. Dont remove or kill freak dorfs, we can have a squad full of freak dorfs that can scare the shit out of kobolds and gobbos, and be the last line of defence. I think my dwarf mercy is totaly undorfy, i could never kill a dwarf deliberately, especialy now they can walk on crutches. Dwarfes without one hand can carry a weapon and shield if i recall correctly. 

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:30 am »

Savs' wall-engraved log:

10 Limestone, 10

The humans left, and I guess Oddom Admiredirons was a little depressed about it.

17 Limestone

I heard cries for help from my tomb.  I looked up and saw that one of the Wallsmiths, Kikrost Distinctnets was stuck.  I guess he built himself into a corner!

26 Limestone

Progress on the magma holding room is good.  It should be finished by the end of the year!

2 Sandstone

Mayor Feb, in her, uh, infinite wisdom mandated that three leather armours be made.  Well, I don't really think we need them, but she's the mayor...

7 Sandstone

The other dwarves working down in the metal forges tell me that Oddom Admiredirons has finally started building something, and won't even let them get near it.  Still, they told me roughly what he'd collected there.

Candy, eh?  He'd better make a fine piece of armour or weapons.

8 Sandstone

Here's an interesting situation...  Stukos Amazedmountains is a member of the marksdwarf squad.  Well, the only one other than the captain.  She's also one of the most crippled dwarves I've ever seen that's still alive and productive

And now she's given birth, somehow...

How will she take care of her baby with her one hand AND hold her crossbow?  I'm putting her on maternity leave...

11 Sandstone

Well, Oddom finished whatever it was he was making in the forge down there.  Let's go see what it is.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Reliefjail the Healing of Bitterness?  What the hell kind of name is that!  A CANDY TOY HAMMER?  I don't care if it's worth 750000!  Look at it!

No, you fool, you've wasted fortress resources.  You must be punished.  Until I can figure out something better, Oddom will be deprived of personal belongings and forced to take on extra duties to make up for the lost resources.

13 Sandstone

I've calmed down a little bit since the Oddom, Idiot of the Age fiasco.  Still, he will be punished.  But the sight of my tomb slowly rising above the fortress is a comforting one.

25 Sandstone

Well, Feb had yet another child.  She now has 8 children in total.  By Armok, she's like a bloody rabbit!

5 Timber

All is quiet at the fort.  The tomb's going well.  The magma holding room is going well.  I say, I thought it'd be harder to manage a fortress than this...  Where're the invaders?  The megabeasts?  The thieves?

12 Timber

Oh good!

I wonder what useful things they will bring...

14 Timber

Oh!  The caravan is under attack by a goblin ambush!  I thought we were invader free!  Well, the guards drove that one off, and even our military scored a kill!

Another!?

The guards are away!  We must protect the caravan!

Or not...

We didn't get there in time and managed to save only one merchant...  Still, free stuff!  Next year, I'll make sure the fortress offers goods equivalent to that which was lost in order to make up for it!

22 Timber

Today, a cleansing rain came.  I've never seen anything like it!  It washed away all the blood, dirt, sand, and even broken bolts and arrows!  I don't know if magic exists in the world, but if it does, then surely this rain was a magical one!

1 Moonstone

Winter has arrived...

--------
I'm very glad that there are invaders.  I was afraid that I'd broken the game or something, heh...  I hope I can get my tomb finished in time.  It IS almost done, but clear glass production has not been going very quickly...  Well, not that I have everything set up, it'll go much faster.

Also, by using Cleanmap, I sped up the FPS from 30 to 50!  Woo!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2011, 10:39:21 am »

Dont remove or kill freak dorfs, we can have a squad full of freak dorfs that can scare the shit out of kobolds and gobbos, and be the last line of defence.

OK, I won't remove any.  Other than the one useless marksdwarf I put on maternity leave.  Easy enough to put her back on the squad...

Also, I REALLY wanna do something crazy to Oddom McUseless, the one who created that bloody candy toy hammer.  Shall I lock him in the magma holding room?  I think that would be fun...

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2011, 10:42:47 am »

Dont remove or kill freak dorfs, we can have a squad full of freak dorfs that can scare the shit out of kobolds and gobbos, and be the last line of defence.

OK, I won't remove any.  Other than the one useless marksdwarf I put on maternity leave.  Easy enough to put her back on the squad...

Also, I REALLY wanna do something crazy to Oddom McUseless, the one who created that bloody candy toy hammer.  Shall I lock him in the magma holding room?  I think that would be fun...
He's A Legendary Blacksmith which is always useful.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2011, 10:52:42 am »

He is legendary, but that toy hammer is a slap in the face, i held my breath expecting some nifty artifact! If there are captured gobbos in the arena storage I built, you can try giving him a fair fight against.....4 goblins, and some mountain gnomes for fun!

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:01 am »

He is legendary, but that toy hammer is a slap in the face, i held my breath expecting some nifty artifact! If there are captured gobbos in the arena storage I built, you can try giving him a fair fight against.....4 goblins, and some mountain gnomes for fun!
You didnt read my update did you I threw them into a magma filled pit.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2011, 11:13:40 am »

I was hoping you left some of them for emergencies like this one.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:16 am »

He's A Legendary Blacksmith which is always useful.

No, he's a legendary Metalsmith.  Which is useless.

I was hoping you left some of them for emergencies like this one.

There are a few goblins left, but I stripped them.  Also, the Hungry Heads and Mountain Gnomes are still around.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

If you are up for arena, could i ask for some nice pictures....and try getting the toy hammer inside the arena, i wish the last thing he sees is that "thing", too bad you cant equip him his munchkin hammer.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

Heh, that's a good idea.  In my last post I'll begin the excavation of an arena!  Though first the magma room needs to be finished.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:12 pm »

There was an arena, but seems it was turned into something else by one of the overseers. I was south, first there are the hero suites, then the storage area for the "gladiators", then most south its the arena.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »

The tree farm is on the second level. If you go center over the walls and go down and a little to the right you should spot it.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14