Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 460812 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #2340 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »

....YAAAAAAAAGH! I can't get Gangnam Style out of my head!  I actually almost started dancing to it the 4th time in a row I watched that video, even tho I'd look like a total tool trying to dance like PSY
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »

....YAAAAAAAAGH! I can't get Gangnam Style out of my head!  I actually almost started dancing to it the 4th time in a row I watched that video, even tho I'd look like a total tool trying to dance like PSY
Everyone looks like a total tool doing that dance, it's sort of the point, you just put on sunglasses and a really serious expression and do it anyway.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 28, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »

Gangnam Style is totally fine and all.

But this is much more awesome I'd say.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 29, 2012, 12:15:47 am »

Speaking of Gangnam Style...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2344 on: September 29, 2012, 08:48:11 am »

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 29, 2012, 11:55:44 am »

So I don't really have the bandwith to follow any of the links in here, but here's a track from the album I bought the other day. Damn, the lyrics are so true, coupled with a catchy beat they make for a great song. :)

They're touring Australia with Lagwagon (!!!) in November, by the way!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 29, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

I listen to a lot of podcasts in the EDM genre. Trance Around the World at the moment. The DJ Brad Miller Podcast is also another good one.

For some out there stuff checkout "Music for Programming" http://musicforprogramming.net/

I'm also really into Daft Punk. Alive 2007 is one of those albums I could listen to on repeat for the rest of my life.
I'm back!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 30, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

werozzi

• Bay Watcher
  • L'uomo Macchina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 30, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »

Some of my latest obsessions

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:04 pm »

This demands proof. Never could stand After Forever, and so didn't listen much to it. Show me the awesome.

I'll admit that I've always found After Forever to be kind of weak instrumentally, and Revamp isn't better by much.  Both bands are completely carried by Floor's singing and their intellectual lyrics.  I don't know how responsible Floor is for either band's lyrics, but she communicates them as deeply as any other singer I can think of.

My favorite example, and the one that really got me into Floor is Invisible Circles.  It's a concept album from the perspective of a child growing up with neglectful parents.  Despite all the pain she goes through and all her efforts to the contrary, she finds that she grows up to be just like them in the end.  The thing I appreciate most about the way this story is constructed is how it presents every character's perspective, instead of outright demonizing the parents for being neglectful.  The other thing is the way the characters are played.  The father is played by the band's male singer.  He uses growling vocals, which I don't prefer, but they work pretty well for this role.  Floor plays both the mother and the child, and she does so by alternating between operatic and standard vocal styles.  The thing that's genius about this is the end of the story focuses almost exclusively on the child as she nears adulthood and begins to understand the circumstances of how her life came to be what it is, but every character's vocal style is still used to demonstrate how the parent's styles of thinking have embedded themselves in the child's mind.  Dominating and aggressive thoughts are sung in the father's vocals.  Self-absorbed and over-dramatic thoughts are sung in the mother's vocals.  The child also progresses from sounding child-like to adult as the story moves on.

Two songs from the album demonstrate amazingly well how this approach worked for the album.  The first is Sins of Idealism.  Here the child is very young and just begging for attention, but the father is resolving to continue pursuing his career goals instead of family and the mother is mourning the loss of her freedom and beauty.  I love the lyrics to this song and Floor sings them very emotionally, especially towards the end where she gradients between vocal style while hanging on a single note.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My other selection from this album is Beautiful Emptiness.  This song is the first track on the album, but technically the end of the story.  It takes place completely within the child's own thoughts, but involves every character's vocal style to show how all these different influences on her perspective and style of thinking have culminated in her final decision.  It's the most emotional song I've ever heard.  I simply cannot think of any other example of such a combination of lyrical and vocal conviction.  This is also the angriest song in my entire collection, and what I listen to for maximum catharsis when I'm raging.  The whole thing just drips with a scalding vindiction that's incredibly satisfying.  It's very sad, though, in the context of the story, which I won't completely spoil.

A couple more of my favorites that are also really strong vocal performances:   Energize Me is a song about random acts of kindness.  Emphasis is a beautiful anthem of existentialism.

And I'll throw one out from Revamp.  This is officially my favorite song.  It perfectly describes how I feel about the struggle of life in general.

Million

With one foot still in the past
With the other far ahead
In-between the times go fast
Chase your life while living it

With memories like scars
Or beautiful memories
Fighting inner wars
The past can hurt and teach
With today within our reach

Just perfect.

I can't really do as much with this post as I'd like, but I have to stop here and go to work.  I won't have another chance to write on this for another 9 hours.  Definitely looking forward to hearing Floor Jansen sing some Nightwish songs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:31:04 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:35 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: October 02, 2012, 07:30:30 am »

Here.

Man, Amon Amarth always sounds really good at the start of the track, and I'll be getting into it, and then they start "singing"- as in, making weird choking sounds into the microphone. :
Why are there no popular heavy metal bands with "clean"* vocals? Oh, wait-- there are! :D

*Clean is a pretty flexible term as far as I'm concerned- as long as it's not that unintelligible screaming/growling, I'm probably okay with it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:22 am »

Going to go download some Orange Goblin now...

As for Amon Amarth, I feel mostly the same way.  Their guitar riffs are fucking amazing, and then they have to use growling vocals.  I will say, though, that their growling vocals are the best that I have heard.  They manage to make it sound serious.  Lots of growling vocalists just sound ridiculous and I cannot take them seriously.

And there are plenty of awesome clean vocalists in metal.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 385