Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292516 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2385 on: April 04, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »

Found two katanas and all kinds of other toys in a basement. The Paladin is becoming rather well kitted out, for his second day.
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 05, 2014, 12:04:23 am »

I've got 3 troops, one with a rifle, one a shotgun, and another with a rocket launcher.
The enemy outnumbers me, with two rocketeers and two riflemen.

Most of their guys are in the center of the map, except for one of their rocketmen, off to the right.
My troops are scatted, my rocketman is far off to the south, my shotgunner is right next to the enemy cluster, just a room away, and my rifleman is off to the north-west.

I order my rocket launcher to fire a missile straight into their formation, hoping it'll hit before they can dodge it, and for him to run to cover after the shot.
I tell my rifleman to move over to the east, aiming down at them.
My shotgunner, however, has the hardest job, he's got to move east to neutralize the eastern enemy rocketeer, then head north to keep the others from escaping.

I couldn't have asked for it to go better.

My missile launcher fires his rocket towards the cluster, while the two enemy riflemen and the rocketeer in there split up.
The enemy rocketeer fires over at my riflemen, but by that point, my guy is long gone from the area.
During this, the far enemy rocketeer launches a missile at my rocketman, good thing I told him to dive for cover after the shot, he's out of the area long before the missile reaches him.
Before that missile can even reach the southern room, though, my shotgun man is already right up in the rocket jerk's face, filling it with lead.

Right at this moment, the missile from my guy impacts on its target, wiping out the remaining rocketeer instantly, and destroying the wall that one of the enemy riflemen was using for cover.
Now exposed, my own rifleman already had his sights on the area, knowing the wall would be gone, and quickly dispatched him.

The shotgun man wasn't done, though, as I had ordered him to move north after taking out the enemy rocketeer, he managed to catch the last enemy rifleman from behind, and took him out.

I won with no losses, on the first turn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 05, 2014, 12:02:44 pm »

Another job well done.
Started off again trying to be peaceful, worked relatively successfully. Then the Pilgrims attacked but they got wiped out by the Sowers. Peace (for my faction) then lasted for decades, where I spent much Dust to build up infrastructure and fleets. Even entered an alliance with the Sowers, which later put me on the warpath when they declared war on the United Empire. Cue me starting a blitzkrieg and taking most of the United Empire's holdings, including all holdings in their arm of the galaxy. The Amoeba started to get worried. Had a few clashes with the Hissho, but they quickly settled for a ceasefire and peace.

Then the Sowers declared war on the Amoeba and my Blitzkrieg began anew. At this point I was loaded with dreadnaughts, supercarriers and invasion ships. Thus the Amoeba fell quickly. Looking at the map, the Sowers and I practically owned most of the galaxy, with only the Hissho and the Sophons having their own small territories. At this point, I felt the Sowers were getting a bit too powerful and was behaving odd politically when they left the alliance and asked to rejoin not shortly after. Their repeatedly broke deals I made with them. So even larger fleets were amassed.

After having strategically placed my fleets, I declared war on the Sowers and swiftly took over their most important system, mostly those with plenty of strategic resources. Fighting was left mostly to the galactic core. The Sowers, probably after realizing how screwed they were, allied with the Hissho and opened a new front. I, consequentially, allied with the Sophons. "All-out" war broke out, with mostly me beating the Sowers to a pulp. Granted, their bombers caught me off guard and started to annoy me. But a few fighter carriers (read: dreadnaughts) dealt with that. Withing a few decades, the Sowers were wiped out as the Hissho struggled to defend their systems. In the end, I left the Hissho with a single system as a reminder of what happens when you cross me.

As for the Sophons, they're still allied but our relations are worsening. This is mostly due to my expansionism and military build-up. I'm hoping to keep them alive just to get the diplomatic victory but if they decide to attack then it's all over for them. The have six systems and I more invasion fleets than I can count.

Until then, I have more dust than I can possibly get rid of (I can literally have zero tax and still make a profit of 14K per turn) and will probably aim for a Wonder or Tech victory. They're just off the horizon anyways.

EDIT: Looks like it became diplomatic victory instead! :D

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:18:50 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: April 05, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »

-snip-
This reminds me of a Galactic Civs 2 game I had in which everything was peaceful until a good ways into the midgame and then space WW1 broke out involving every single race in a huge 3v3.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 06, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »

One of the things that always bugs me about the Torus is that no matter what you do, you really need to get a weapon that can do actual damage fast - otherwise, you run into problems. The default Engi crew aren't suited to boarding actions so a teleporter isn't great, and coupled with their damage coming from drones it makes it hard to bump off some enemy ships.

This time, though, I had an idea when I picked up an Ion Stunner early... why not play the long game?

So I ioned the Clone Bay and Oxygen of a Mantis ship until I got a popup to tell me all the crew were dead and I could install a weapon found on their deserted ship - a Fire Beam! Not a damaging weapon, but it'll help me run down the air in any other ships that bit faster :D

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 06, 2014, 11:18:12 pm »

Killed no less than EIGHT hapless NC while defending a point as a vanilla set up TR MAX.

Two engineers stuck to me - i was finally taken down by three heavies all hitting me with a Shrike rocket at once.

Planetside 2, folks.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 07, 2014, 12:04:06 am »

Finally got a chance to play One Finger Death Punch. Every other thing you do in that game is a moment of ownage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:54 am »

Finally got a chance to play One Finger Death Punch. Every other thing you do in that game is a moment of ownage.
I can attest to this, that game is awesome. Even if I'm horrible at it.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 07, 2014, 12:34:24 am »

Killed no less than EIGHT hapless NC while defending a point as a vanilla set up TR MAX.

Two engineers stuck to me - i was finally taken down by three heavies all hitting me with a Shrike rocket at once.

Planetside 2, folks.
Now I wonder when you say vanilla, you mean 'anti-explosive armor' rather than 'anti-infantry armor' :P

Planetside 2
Vanilla Combat Medic (only upgraded the tool). Partial newbie. :D

Firefight was intense at Tawrich Tech Plant, taking quite a standstill between us TR and them NCs. No armor or air support though, just pure infantry battles. Running between the TR spawn to control point A? Bogged between enemy NCs, everywhere. ~20 or so people on each side.
The streets were lined with dead members, and I did what was my best initiative: Shoot from the corner, then run behind cover to revive. All in all, I survived (got in the red health for a LOT of times, even dashed through open ground and was surprised that I lived and revived 7 people under heavy fire [probably because I was jumping or running in zigzags?]).

Granted, picking the suit upgrade which reduces damage from anti-infantry weapons really increases survivability. I was even able to kill 2 light assault troops. :X
I love the medic's power to heal self.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:39 am »

Very start of the match, my rocketeer wipes out both of the enemy launchers with one shot, and my shotgun man sneaks up on one of the riflemen and shoots him in the back in the span of less than a second.

The next round, my rifleman keeps fire on the last enemy, distracting him long enough for my missile to blow up the wall he was hiding behind, and for my shotgun man to burst through the new rubble and finish it.

2 turns, no losses. 75% of them were killed in the first turn before they could get even a single shot off.

The Derail Thread

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:59 pm »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 07, 2014, 06:27:02 pm »

My main question is:

HOW.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »

Scored 843 kills in Survival mode. The ground ran red with stick figure blood. Plus I have the highest score amongst my Steam friends!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »

My main question is:

HOW.

Perseverance, my dear friend!  That and basically making sure you never move your largest number from one of the corners.  Other than that, RNG is apparently my friend.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 07, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »

Scored 843 kills in Survival mode. The ground ran red with stick figure blood. Plus I have the highest score amongst my Steam friends!
How the...

I can never get past 300!
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 709