Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292544 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #4080 on: March 15, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

I finally learned how to make bombs.

Without going into any of the details, I finally figured out how to make a heated gas mix without bloating it with useless CO2. I then combined that with a chilled mix made of mostly oxygen in a transfer valve, attached a timer to it, primed it, and placed it in the test chamber. I then retreated behind the reinforced plasmaglass windows of the testchamber and watched for a slightly less piddly explosion then usual. The explosion gibbed me from five tiles away and completely destroyed the test chamber. Which was completely unexpected, since none of my OTHER bombs had really done more then dent the walls within a ~2-tile radius.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: March 15, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »

What is Space Station 13, anyway? I hear about it a lot.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: March 15, 2015, 06:35:54 pm »

Basically, its a cross between DF and Mafia in space. Bay12 [mostly]operates our own server, which is fun when there are people on it.
Spooky Signature

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: March 15, 2015, 06:38:35 pm »

Basically, its a cross between DF and Mafia in space. Bay12 [mostly]operates our own server, which is fun when there are people on it.

Which is also named, obviously, Baystation 12
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: March 15, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

No it isn't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: March 15, 2015, 06:48:30 pm »

Yeah, Baystation 12 has largely split off from the forums and become its own thing now. It even has its own code branch, forums, wiki, drama and a ton of other junk. If you're curious, the current Bay12 server is Urist McStation.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: March 15, 2015, 06:50:54 pm »

I think the codebase is named Baystation 12 and our actual SERVER is named Urist McStation?

FAKEDIT: Yeah, USEC nailed it Waitaminute, is his username related to SS:13? 0_0
Spooky Signature

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: March 17, 2015, 03:58:39 am »

While setting up my first freighter, I happened to notice someone flying around in a unique ship with a mission for me. It turned out they wanted me to join them in a massive joint strike against the Kha'ak swarm. Obviously this was a major quest of some kind, but I figured it couldn't be too bad -the mission was only rated "normal" difficulty- so I agreed to follow them to a military base where I could sign up. Well as soon as I arrived in the sector, a huge fleet composed of dozens of Xenon fighters and quite a few corvettes showed up to attack. Naturally I was required to fend off this invasion force in order to prove myself worthy of the mission ahead.

It's important to note that I was piloting a medium fighter with only a wingman in a souped up scout and 4 drones to support me. There were a few Argon fighters scattered around the sector, but not in places where they would be useful. I lead the charge on the first wave of Xenon ships, deploying all of my drones and launching a few missile salvos against the most dangerous fighters. For a time, things were going well. My drones were surprisingly effective versus the Xenon fighters, and I even managed to take down a corvette, but more kept coming. My shields were drained and my wingman's ship had taken a nasty amount of damage. I ordered a retreat with the drones staying behind to cover us but, slowed by engine damage, my wingman was gunned down before he could reach safety. I escaped with some minor hull damage, but the drones were quickly picked off after my retreat and I had no missiles left.

From there the battle became a game of cat and mouse. I would strike at any enemy ships that strayed away from the pack and then retreat to safety to repair any damage. In the end there was one clump of enemies left, a corvette and five or so fighters. They stayed near the jump gate, attacking the presumably immortal quest giver who apparently had no weapons he could use to fight back. With no other choice I charged in. It was a glorious dogfight, with plasma flying in all directions. I managed to kill at least four fighters before being forced to pull out. From there it was a simple matter to clear out any stragglers. I ranked up two combat levels and earned about 3 million credits from that battle, which I suppose is adequate compensation for the loss of my wingman and the drones. However, I think I'll get a better ship before pursuing that quest line any further.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:00:29 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: March 17, 2015, 10:40:43 am »

Very well done, that quest line is a blast, but is also very difficult.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:39 am »

Went from having troubles getting through greater rift 30 and 31 on my crusader to pushing into greater rift 34 and 35, all because I lucked out and got a pretty great Furnace drop. The Furnace means you get 50% more damage against elites, which is huge for saders because killing elites and rift guardians is kinda slow. Also the Furnace is possibly the rarest weapon drop in the game.

Cleared grift 34 with no problems, but barely ran out of time to clear grift 35 due to several deaths. Still, all thanks to this Furnace. Praise rngesus for sick loot drops.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #4090 on: March 17, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »

-snip-

Last time I tried that mission, I was flying a Scimitar (Terran M3+), and I was facing a Xenon Q (M7). Qs are supposed to have a giant blind spot where they can't hit you, but I can't find it.
Instead, I was relying on strafing the slow moving PPC shots coming my way. I managed to get the Q down to one fifth hull before I strafed the wrong way and got vaporised.

Next time I did it, the Q kamikazed itself into the Military Outpost. The autopillok actually worked in my favour for once.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: March 17, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »

-SNIP-

That's pretty amazing.  I've always had trouble with combat missions, myself, but that's definitely impressive flying.

Probably a minor one for the same game, but one I was a bit pleased by since it was a confluence of some glorious coincidences.  Same game, starting as an Anonymous Argon (I think; the one where you start in a single unarmed, basic M5 Discoverer).  Managed to scrape together enough to pick up a couple Mercuries used (one Tanker, one Hauler), and had them start hauling energy cells.  While picking up a passenger request, I happened to notice a mission request to deliver a bit over 8000 energy cells to a facility in Argon Prime in return for well over half a million credits - when I ran the pay-per-unit, it came out to around 72 per energy cell, or almost four times the theoretical maximum regular sale price (20).  Checking both of my freighters, both had full loads and were flying near or in Argon Prime, which combined would just barely match the request.  The catch was that delivery needed to be completed and signed in 10 minutes, which was only slightly greater than the time my damaged Mercury Hauler would need to arrive at the station.  I immediately redirected both ships to the factory and accepted the deal, then flew south in my Discoverer to finish the passenger mission.  Immediately on finishing that mission, I found not one, but two more passenger missions in that system, one to Argon Prime and another to an adjacent sector, which combined would just barely fit in my cargo hold and pay out another quarter-million.  I immediately accepted both, flew back to Argon Prime to confirm delivery in person (scraping by with seconds left), and finished off both passenger missions to receive all sorts of profitsss with whole minutes to spare.  I just love it when missions come together like that. 

Net result: 10 minutes to earn a bit shy of a million credits from four missions, after not even 9 hours in-game, and this from someone who's never managed to succeed on the Tormented Teladi or Poisoned Paranid starts.  Albeit, the latter I kept failing because I kept getting shot out of the sky within half a minute of game start due to the ruinous reputation penalties and fact you start in a freighter.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:09:42 pm by Culise »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:19 pm »

So I was sucking up to some faction so I could load up on the weapons I wanted, and I spent quite some time doing this the slow way. About the time I was near their capital putzing around with a trade fleet full of food; the random diplomacy event generator suddenly decided "lol no" and turned us into enemies.

Of course, this resulted in my non-combat trade fleet getting asploded. All that was left was my flagship left at dock.

I responded by genociding their entire species.

I ripped apart their fleets alone; my flagship is not equipped with missiles or lasers, it has 6 super machine guns and 3 anti-armor burst cannons. I made their ships asplode by filling them with thousands of bullets.
Enemy crew members that surrendered were captured, stripped, vented out into space, and torn to shreds by spaceship machine gun fire. (mostly because I didn't have crew space though).
I dumped thousands of marines to cleanse their planets and stations.

The only thing to show that their species existed are bullet-riddled ruins, bullet-riddled ship graveyards, and one high value prisoner (I sold the rest to special interest collectors as slaves). That's in my cargo holds. Where he will stay.

Forever.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:57:22 pm by Blaze »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:05 pm »

So I was sucking up to some faction so I could load up on the weapons I wanted, and I spent quite some time doing this the slow way. About the time I was near their capital putzing around with a trade fleet full of food; the random diplomacy event generator suddenly decided "lol no" and turned us into enemies.

Of course, this resulted in my non-combat trade fleet getting asploded. All that was left was my flagship left at dock.

I responded by genociding their entire species.

I ripped apart their fleets alone; my flagship is not equipped with missiles or lasers, it has 6 super machine guns and 3 anti-armor burst cannons. I made their ships asplode by filling them with thousands of bullets.
Enemy crew members that surrendered were captured, stripped, vented out into space, and torn to shreds by spaceship machine gun fire. (mostly because I didn't have crew space though).
I dumped thousands of marines to cleanse their planets and stations.

The only thing to show that their species existed are bullet-riddled ruins, bullet-riddled ship graveyards, and one high value prisoner (I sold the rest to special interest collectors as slaves). That's in my cargo holds. Where he will stay.

Forever.
[/quote][/spoiler]
What game is that?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #4094 on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:15 pm »

Star Sector! a rather fun game, I used to play all the time!
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 709